Skytrak or GC2/HMT/FSX. Can’t decide which one for the sim build.

Rusty Dave

#staffproto
Reaction score
Handicap
My wife and I have been looking for a new house lot but have given up as nothing has come up in the last year that’s worth it. Therefore I’m planning to do a slight basement renovation and add a sim to our TV area. I’ll deal with the 9’ ceiling by cutting down a used driver to a 3 wood shaft length. If the ceiling gets dinged once and a while so be it. I got a guy to fix it.

I’m split in my decision to either buy a Skytrak or a CPO GC2/HMT/FSX. I could use some input from the guys that have either.
A couple of things. I’ve done plenty of research. The cost difference is around $9000 CAD. Can I afford it? Yes, however does it warrant me getting the more expensive unit? Not sure. I still need to get the screen, enclosure, impact curtains, projector and computer. So I’m basically starting from scratch and I could use the $9000 for some other renovations we are doing.

Here’s the pros and cons of each as I see it:

Skytrak
Pros.
-Great price.
-Pretty darn accurate.
-Great sim software. They’ve really upped their game improvement package. Bag mapping, wedge matrix and shot shaping are new add on’s. This seems to beat FSX hands down. This has me leaning to this unit. Worth the $250 a year IMO.
-TGC. Seamless integration into TGC with the one time fee of $1000. Thousands of courses with amazing graphics. Can’t wait for this.
-Lots of fun.
-Always seem to be improving the system and adding new features.
Cons
-Slight delay in displaying data. 1-3 seconds. I don’t think this will bother me.
-Smaller reading area than the GC2. Ball needs to be on laser to read.
-More misreads and non reads compared to GC2.
-Putting and chipping not great but they’re working to improve that.
-Slightly less accurate than GC2 but really not by much. The online reviews have them pretty damn close.
-No club data unless I go with R motion which is like SkyPro. That’s where the HMT shines. I don’t think I really truly need this though. It’s just a must for teaching and fittings.

GC2/HMT/FSX 2018
Pros
-Accurate
-Minimal misreads
-Instant display of shot
-Larger hitting area with no laser
-HMT with club data. Do I really need this? Not sure. Just frickin cool.
-FSX 2018. 5 courses and skills challenges. Still not as dynamic as Skytrak. More geared to pros and teachers.
Cons
-Used
-$9000 more and I’m not sure the pros above warrant this extra cash.
-Customer service seems poor compared to Skytrak.
-FSX software ($3000) is included in the sale price however I’m reading mixed reviews about it online. Not much on the interface has changed over the years.
-5 courses and additional courses are around $500. With TGC or JNPG, you get thousands of courses included.

So I’m looking for some insight from guys like Shifty and whomever has experience with both. I’m especially looking for the Skytrak guys to validate which way I’m leaning. I want to improve (currently a 14.1) but I also want to have some fun and play some sim golf with my wife or buddies. But I also want to do it right the first time.

Thanks in advance.

I don't own either of these units, but I played in a winter sim league on a GC2 w/ HMT and FSX and the pro at my home course has a Skytrak that I've gotten to play around with on a couple of occasions.

If it was me, I'd go with the Skytrak without thinking twice about it.

I really found FSX lacking and would be frustrated with the limited number of courses.

In some ways, at least in limited experience, the Skytrak delay gives you just enough time to think about your swing and where you think the ball will be going before it shows up on the screen. For me anyway that wound up to be a somewhat useful learning tool too.

I know we have discussed in the past but for the groups benefit, here is my take:

Skytrak: great option with a smaller window for hitting but with a noticeable delay. Also, if you are going to have a lot of "new" golfers playing it might get damaged due to the proximity of the ball to the machine. This has the most options for sim play but chipping and putting is lacking a bit (last I knew at least). Really fun option.

GC2: No delay. Good sim course options but not as good or as many as Skytrak. Very, very accurate. HMT is fun but not necessary (I leave the stickers on two clubs for when I want to work with club data but the majority of the time I don't use it). Customer service is decent - you just need to find the right people to help (I can help there). There is a really big list of courses you can buy but they can really add up. If you can get a GC2 to work with TGC you will be a very happy guy. Replacing the flash could be a pain.

Realistically I had the same debate and went Foresight but it was very close. If you are leaning Skytrak, run with it for a while and resell if you decide otherwise later. Really can't go wrong.

I enjoyed playing TGC on a Skytrak but I thought everything around the green was really lacking, and quite a few misreads.

I'd go Foresight with the FSX software. The courses get expensive but it's a rock solid setup and a much closer simulation of real golf IMO.

That price didn’t difference means they shouldn’t even be compared to one another.

I hope prices on launch monitors plummet soon while technology increases ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know we have discussed in the past but for the groups benefit, here is my take:

Skytrak: great option with a smaller window for hitting but with a noticeable delay. Also, if you are going to have a lot of "new" golfers playing it might get damaged due to the proximity of the ball to the machine. This has the most options for sim play but chipping and putting is lacking a bit (last I knew at least). Really fun option.

GC2: No delay. Good sim course options but not as good or as many as Skytrak. Very, very accurate. HMT is fun but not necessary (I leave the stickers on two clubs for when I want to work with club data but the majority of the time I don't use it). Customer service is decent - you just need to find the right people to help (I can help there). There is a really big list of courses you can buy but they can really add up. If you can get a GC2 to work with TGC you will be a very happy guy. Replacing the flash could be a pain.

Realistically I had the same debate and went Foresight but it was very close. If you are leaning Skytrak, run with it for a while and resell if you decide otherwise later. Really can't go wrong.

I still might do the gc2 with TGC. I just really like the Skytrak game improvement software.

I don't own either of these units, but I played in a winter sim league on a GC2 w/ HMT and FSX and the pro at my home course has a Skytrak that I've gotten to play around with on a couple of occasions.

If it was me, I'd go with the Skytrak without thinking twice about it.

I really found FSX lacking and would be frustrated with the limited number of courses.

In some ways, at least in limited experience, the Skytrak delay gives you just enough time to think about your swing and where you think the ball will be going before it shows up on the screen. For me anyway that wound up to be a somewhat useful learning tool too.
I’m leaning towards Skytrak. I like your answer. The delay wouldn’t bother me.

I enjoyed playing TGC on a Skytrak but I thought everything around the green was really lacking, and quite a few misreads.

I'd go Foresight with the FSX software. The courses get expensive but it's a rock solid setup and a much closer simulation of real golf IMO.

Agreed but honestly I know about around the green. But chipping/putting practice is honestly best done in real conditions. Might still go gc2 and TGC.

Own and use a Skytrak, no regrets here.

If you can afford a gc2 I'd go that way. But really there is nothing wrong with skytrak, other that putting isn't that great on skytrak, and takes a while to get bugs out, but no problem once that's done.
Only thing is that imo Jnpg is the best sim program, but is now only available for trackman, since June 19th. If it was bought already no problem, you can renew, they just don't sell new subscriptions since tackman bought it.
There is still TGC, which looks great, but multiplayer isn't as good, no multiple tees, and less game types. I'm hoping their new game with PGA Tour players in it will be developed.
I haven't tried Creative Golf I believe it's called yet, and they have a free demo.
Other than sims skytrak has great practice modes built in and a bag mapper so has plenty of features to help improve your game.
That being said you can get used GC2's for decent prices, if you are interested I know a guy who has sold dozens of used ones. Probably around 5k.
Otherwise the skytrak seems to be of great value, and updates are regular. The product has improved alot since I bought mine.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I bought a SkyTrak when they had a few hundred dollars off through PGA Superstore and got back about $80 in vouchers from them for buying it. I use the driving range and use the practice games of hitting to a target. Every so often it doesn’t read a shot. My WiFi was not working as well with it so I ran a line from the unit into the computer which I throw on a projector and hit into a high impact screen: no issues that way. I wish it had sound but it doesn’t through SkyTrak. Good luck with it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I think I’ve decided on the GC2 with TGC. I haven’t ruled out the HMT/FSX combo but need to talk to Cory at Par2Pro more.

I like the accuracy of the gc2. It just has so many advantages over the Skytrak.

Also I’m going to put the sim in my garage and install the HomeCourse retractable screen. Putting the sim in my basement would stress me out with the ceilings. The garage has 10’ ceilings and plenty of room.

Need to buy the laptop, software and projector. This is going to get expensive.

So I think I’ve decided on the GC2 with TGC. I haven’t ruled out the HMT/FSX combo.

I think chipping and putting is vastly superior with gc2, if you are going to play sim golf. Vastly superior.

I think chipping and putting is vastly superior with gc2, if you are going to play sim golf. Vastly superior.

That’s what I hear. Cory at Par2Pro said it took 5 putts on the Skytrak to register. I think that will be frustrating. Plus the extra accuracy of the GC2. I’ll get the Foresight App and use that for my practice. I think TGC also has short game practice.

That’s what I hear. Cory at Par2Pro said it took 5 putts on the Skytrak to register. I think that will be frustrating. Plus the extra accuracy of the GC2. I’ll get the Foresight App and use that for my practice. I think TGC also has short game practice.
This mirrors my experiences as well. I think you making the right choice!

So I think I’ve decided on the GC2 with TGC. I haven’t ruled out the HMT/FSX combo but need to talk to Cory at Par2Pro more.

I like the accuracy of the gc2. It just has so many advantages over the Skytrak.

Also I’m going to put the sim in my garage and install the HomeCourse retractable screen. Putting the sim in my basement would stress me out with the ceilings. The garage has 10’ ceilings and plenty of room.

Need to buy the laptop, software and projector. This is going to get expensive.

I'm 6'2 and used my sim in a room with 9' ceilings for a few years without hitting the ceiling with the clubs. I did with a few flop shots though.

So I think I’ve made my decision. I’m going gc2 with E6 software. The E6 has amazing practice modes and excellent simulation. It’s more expensive than TGC but I think it offers so much more. TGC has slightly better graphics but I’m more concerned with improving and E6 also offers multiple tees, 36 different game modes and a chipping/putting range.
I’m going with a 16x9 retractable screen in the garage.
I decided against the HMT as I don’t want to be chasing numbers. I’m still planning on having some cameras set up down the road for lessons with my pro.

Looking forward to it.

This is without experience of owning any of them (yet), but I'd go SkyTrak every time. For the price it is as good as almost anything on the market and I'd use the savings to cut an 18" higher trench in your ceiling. Honestly I think the 9ft limitation will limit you WAY more than any of the sims will. I went that path in my basement and found with my swing that literally pulls me off the ground on full "go get it!" shots, I'd hit the beams with full wedges.

I did ok not going after a shot until I forgot that I wasn't supposed to go after a shot. Once I forgot my clubhead would smack the ceiling every time. I'm 5'11" and this was with a wedge on 9' ceilings. My advice is to get the skytrak, and raise a 2' wide patch at least 18" in your ceiling. You'll still come out ahead. Even if a rookie wrecks your first skytrak. 9' just isn't enough. You might think it is but you'll very soon forget that you have those limits and want to go after something.

I’ve actually decided to move the entire setup into my garage with the 10’ ceilings.

And while the Skytrak is amazing, it does lack in a few features. Especially chipping and putting. I’m going to spend a few extra bucks and invest in the gc2.

Look into JNPG. $250 per year, great graphics, active online community through the Online Golf Tour.

It does offer multiple tees, scrambles, match play etc.

I think you made the right choice, RC. SkyTrak is a great product that offers a lot of feedback for the winter months in a garage, but it really doesn't shake a stick at an advanced unit like the GC2.

Look into JNPG. $250 per year, great graphics, active online community through the Online Golf Tour.

It does offer multiple tees, scrambles, match play etc.
It is a much better game for a sim for sure. I know trackman bought jnpg and now only renewals will work for skytrak.
May still be available for gc2. Would be worth looking into.

Can’t get JNPG anymore.
Honestly now I’m just looking at the GC2/HMT/FXS2018 combo.
Not really feeling like spending all that cash but it seems to fit what I want the most. Might still go the E6 route for $2500 cheaper and no HMT.

Can’t get JNPG anymore.
Honestly now I’m just looking at the GC2/HMT/FXS2018 combo.
Not really feeling like spending all that cash but it seems to fit what I want the most. Might still go the E6 route for $2500 cheaper and no HMT.
Theres really no wrong choice, but I feel like you'd regret not getting the HMT in the end.

Theres really no wrong choice, but I feel like you'd regret not getting the HMT in the end.

I think so. Just a big initial bill with all the other initial setup stuff.

Edit: Removed content in this post as post didn't appear when I first posted it (must have gone to moderation queue being 1st post?), so repeated info below.

Last edited:
Heh Rusty, JNPG is available for the GC2, just not SkyTrak now. There's a week trial for $20 too.

Back