Swing vs Hitting- Having difficulty

Edy13

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello,

A pretty simple question.

Any tips, hints, tricks to help get my mind and body to swing through versus hitting at the ball? It's sloooowly getting there- just through repetition, but I'd love it, if I could hasten the process with some "trick" or insight to add to my practice sessions.

Thanks all.

Take a practice swing.

Step up to the ball. Tell yourself it's a practice swing.

I struggle with this too but my pro recommends this.

Been trying past two weeks with mixed results.

Seems to work better on the range of course!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wish that I could help, but I've been a "hitter" for nearly sixty years. I line up my left shoulder and knee with the ball on my backswing, keeping my left heel flat down, and pull the butt end of the grip straight down at the ball. That's hitting, not swinging. Even as a young player, I was never a long, flexible swinger.

You can try to refine your swing, but if it doesn't work out, own the hit and maximize your repetitiveness with that. Remember that swing or hit, you're trying to compress the ball and you've got to keep your swing going straight forward through contact.

Once you've got that down, your drive swing will be messed up and you'll have to relearn hitting the ball when it's teed up and forward in your stance. My inability to do that took the 460cc driver out of my game forever.

Something you might try would be to do a Happy Gilmore-esqe swing while on the range. Not the full run up, mind you, but a mini one. Take your normal stance, then bring your front foot back until it is a few inches from your back foot. Now start to swing the club back and forth fully and continuously until you have a good rhythm, then once your next swing reaches the top of the backswing, step your front forward to its original position and swing through the ball and finish with the same tempo as the rhythm swings before it.

Don't use extra effort when you hit the ball, just let the ball get in the way of that full and rhythmic swing that you set up leading into the striking swing. It will be awkward and difficult at first, but once you find a rhythm that works for you, it will become.much easier.

Hope that helps a little

I have a Whippy that helped me greatly. I'm still more hitter than swinger, but I feel like it helped my temp/transition greatly. I could send it to you to try out if you're interested.

Hello,

A pretty simple question.

Any tips, hints, tricks to help get my mind and body to swing through versus hitting at the ball? It's sloooowly getting there- just through repetition, but I'd love it, if I could hasten the process with some "trick" or insight to add to my practice sessions.

Thanks all.

I don't dole out a lot of tips (I'm not a great player) but the best way I've found to get over this hump is just to focus on getting your belt buckle to the target. It forces you to make a full swing through the ball.

I really just try to focus on a good finish, and if I do, it generally helps the swing.

Sometimes I really get bogged down in "hitting" (like the start of this year with some struggles), and getting back to swinging has really helped the striking this year.

Thanks,

I'm only a month or so in to my lessons, so there is still hope for me. But I may have to just live with what my capabilities are and use them to my strength. My coach keeps telling me not to compare myself to the guys on TV and beat myself up too much. :banghead: Easier said than done....

I have a Whippy that helped me greatly. I'm still more hitter than swinger, but I feel like it helped my temp/transition greatly. I could send it to you to try out if you're interested.

Thanks. That is very generous, I will check with my coach and see what he thinks about adding that into my routine.
Again, Thank you sir...

They're only about $30-$40 on eBay if you watch for them if you wanna pick one up to try out. I had one years ago, then sold it. Last year after I picked the game up after a five year or so layoff, I regretted it and bought another.
Thanks. That is very generous, I will check with my coach and see what he thinks about adding that into my routine.
Again, Thank you sir...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Three things helped me.

1) Range practice where I focused on a pause at the top, smooth acceleration and center face contact.
When you do this really take notice how this produces shots that consistently go as long or longer than shots where you hit at the ball. I find that makes a huge difference in progressing toward your goal.

2) When practicing or on the course I find a one-word swing thought helps. "Smooth" is my word for the full swing. I repeat this word in my head before every swing, whether it's a practice swing or the real thing.

3) All top instructors talk about the importance of tempo. For me, if my backswing gets quick compared to my natural tempo the downswing gets choppy. So then, I have to consciously slow down my backswing to sync. up everything. Take note of any tendency that gets you off track and what it takes to get back on track.

"Swing the club and let the ball get in the way." Sounds oversimplified, but may be a helpful SWING thought.

I don't dole out a lot of tips (I'm not a great player) but the best way I've found to get over this hump is just to focus on getting your belt buckle to the target. It forces you to make a full swing through the ball.

I read about starting the downswing with my trail hip. Practiced that all winter. It has really changed my ball flight. Much straighter, a little further distance.

Really concentrated to start with my hip not my hands. Forces my hands to drop and hit it more consistently from the inside.

I think you shouldn’t focus on swinging versus hitting and figure out what you are doing wrong so you can better determine the fix.

If I “swing” to the target I release early and hit hooks. If I “hit” the ball, I get my desired result. But it’s obviously not the same for everyone.

Practice hitting golf balls with your 7 iron and try hitting it 30 yards shorter . This will help with the feeling of swinging vs hitting . I'll try to explain later, gotta get into work

Back