SHAFTS: Senior/Regular/Stiff... How did you choose.

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
Five years later, I still consider myself NEW to golf, although I have learned much. Back in the beginning, my naïveté and lack of asking, had me playing with Ping red dot SENIOR flex shafts. I figured at 68 years old and just starting, it made good sense. A few years later, when I bought my MIZUNO clubs, I switched to regular. The increase in distance per club was striking. Up to then and up to just a couple of months ago, I stayed with regular flex. I recently purchased a complete new set of clubs.... Taylormade Burners. All the shafts, including the Driver and woods, are Stiff flex. I've had a few friends criticize the change, saying I am too old. However... my average swing speed is around 100mph, and on average my Driver distance is 230 yards, although I occasionally hit it much further, having a hole in one on a short (278 yds) par 4. Once again, as I did when I changed from senior to regular, I am experiencing a 5 to 10 yard increase per club. So.... I have decided to stay with the Stiff flex shafts.

My question(s) is... what do you use and how did you decide?

35896221_10155890493048401_4664462413351878656_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hey your ss is same as mine and I'm 48 , i say play what works, for me stiff gives me more confidence but regular send to give me more spin so a bit more height but nothing Earth shattering in distance Gavin's or losses,i just feel like normal stiff feels more accurate especially with, i think i could have either and hace the same scores of we are being honest lol I'm a 14 hdcp if that helps but lately i have broken 80 twice, that's all because of chipping and putting though

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've been building my own clubs and "fitting" myself since the early 2000's. I measure my swing speed, make some educated decisions based on my tempo, transition, etc., then order a shaft or two to try out. I can usually hit it pretty close on the first or 2nd run, but if not, it's simple to order another shaft and tweak it a bit.

This is going to sound like a cop out answer but get fit. The actual letter on the shaft varies by company and how you load the shaft on top of you might find playing something that might be considered too stiff or too soft might make you swing better. Sounds like you found the answer as you experimented.

As for me I swing around 110 and use an X or TX. My current Rogue Silver that I am lucky to be testing thanks to THP is a 70TX tipped 1/2 inch. My previous was untipped Synergy blue X weighing 71 grams but spun a bit much on misses imo.

This is going to sound like a cop out answer but get fit. The actual letter on the shaft varies by company and how you load the shaft on top of you might find playing something that might be considered too stiff or too soft might make you swing better. Sounds like you found the answer as you experimented.

As for me I swing around 110 and use an X or TX. My current Rogue Silver that I am lucky to be testing thanks to THP is a 70TX tipped 1/2 inch. My previous was untipped Synergy blue X weighing 71 grams but spun a bit much on misses imo.

Actually, it doesn't sound like a cop out at all. Those who take learning serious probably should get fitted. Although, not all golf fitters are created equal. I was fitted, by a PGA Pro, at Dick's Sporting Goods, for my first set of clubs.. Ping Raptures, with Senior Flex. He said nothing about the flex being correct or incorrect for me. As I recall, the clubs (starting with 7 iron) he had me hitting on the simulator had senior shafts on them. I don't have a clue as to whether he assumed they were right due to my age at the time (68). Since then... having learned club building and having a complete golf workshop at home, I build/repair/adjust my own clubs. I have come to believe that lessons, from a GOOD, Qualified PGA Pro, trumps club fittings, although both would be ideal. Thanks for your input.

Hey your ss is same as mine and I'm 48 , i say play what works, for me stiff gives me more confidence but regular send to give me more spin so a bit more height but nothing Earth shattering in distance Gavin's or losses,i just feel like normal stiff feels more accurate especially with, i think i could have either and hace the same scores of we are being honest lol I'm a 14 hdcp if that helps but lately i have broken 80 twice, that's all because of chipping and putting though

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. Seems our game results are similar. I like your comment on breaking 80 due to chipping and putting. After my recent (3 weeks ago) chipping/pitching lessons, and daily dedicated practice, I have started to break 80 more frequently... due to chipping/pitching leaving my putts inside 6 feet. Hopefully, with some improve on 2nd shots, I will stay below 80. I am convinced the stiff shafts help immensely.

I have a 105-110 swing speed and when things are good, can hit a drive 280 without a lot of roll. I hit my 7 iron 165 and its not loft jacked or one of the hotface clubs.

Whenever I try "stiff" golf shafts, it does not go well despite the fact that all the numbers say I should go that route. They don't feel right and I lose distance AND control. I also tried some graphite irons in regular flex a few years ago and I couldn't control them at all. Just awful. I have found that the project X 5.5 (which is regular for them) is just about right for me. Stiff tip with reasonable flex somewhere else is important to the way I swing.

So, I would say that you should try to get fitted but even then I caution it. Its a relatively short period of time where you are just whacking balls. If you are hot or cold it will affect your opinion of the clubs.

At least in my opinion, its a lot of work to find the right shafts. You have to expect some trial and error. Since club manufacturers don't give everyone free shafts to try out for a month, its hard.

Back