Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
I would love to hear from THPers who game a 64 degree wedge. How do you configure your bag to fit it into the 14 club limit. I bought a 64 degree TaylorMade HiToe with some winnings and took it out for a scramble event today. The thing was a riot and could be an absolute weapon from 30 yards. I just don’t know what I would be willing to give up to have it in the bag. I am thinking of maybe trying pw, 50 degree, 56 and 64, but it would require me to become more comfortable with different swings to fit some gaps that would result. I could also go to just one fairway wood, but it would take away some of my ability to attack par 5s, and would likely make me go to a 4 wood, which would eliminate 3 wood length off the tee on tight par 4s. Hmmmm... dilemmas...

I game the 64 degree sure out ang love the loft. I set my badge spefically around putting the 64 in. See my sig wich worked with my swing. I like the set gw, 54, 58, 64. Your distances are probably greater than mine, but losing a few yard from a 3 wood to a 4/5 wood is minimal compared to the short game options a 64 gives you

I would drop the 3 wood.

Drop the 5-6 wood and loft the 3-4 wood up to 16* to help cover the distance gap. Game the 64*, be happy. Or drop the 3 wood, loft the 5w down to 17*, maybe with the weight forward. Shouldn't lose much distance with that.

as the greens have gotten quite firm, I have put the 64 in my bag for the summer. This club I find especially helpful if you play a course with small elevated greens. In this situation, I found myself 2 times a few weeks ago with no choice but to lob a wedge way up in the air. If hit well, these clubs really stop the ball.

Set-wise

5i to GW
54, 58, 64 wedges
Driver, strong 5w (4w) , 4h

The secret is the 17 degree wood. I can tee this if on a tight tee box or I an play it better then a 3w off the deck. by moving my grip up or down on the 4w and 4h I can potentially create a range of distances. Having a bag full of woods would not make me better at this length.

I’d drop the 5 Wood, you have a 3 Hybrid which surely must go roughly the same distance?

I go:
13.5 driver - 225-240
5w 19*- 200
3h - 190
4h -180
5h - 170
6i - 160
7i - 150
8i - 140
9i - 130
PW - 120
UW 49* - 105
CBX 56* - 85
Sure Out 64* - 65
Putter

Thinking about dropping the 3h cause my 4h often gets me 185 and adding a 60* to cover 75yds.

There are only 14 clubs on your signature including the 64.

I played a 2h and 4h for many years and this year replaced the 2h with a regular 5w. These clubs are comparable distance.

on the 4h, I don't find my distance super repeatable which is why I don't bag the 3h. I can hit the 4h anywhere from 180 to 210. Might be because I hit flyers with the 4h based on the lie I'm hitting out of. My 5w is about a 210 onward club. In theory a 3w should be longer, but I can't bank on that.

There are only 14 clubs on your signature including the 64.

Yes, but as I mentioned in my op, the 50, 56 and 64 leave some pretty large gaps. My normal bag is 49, 53 and 58.

Who are the OEMs that actually make a 64* w she?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TM, Cleveland, Callaway (PM Grind), and prior to the KING wedges Cobra always did (I had a Tour Trusty 64*)

TM, Cleveland, Callaway (PM Grind), and prior to the KING wedges Cobra always did (I had a Tour Trusty 64*)

I also saw a Callaway MD4 64 degree wedge in the S grind the other day at PGA Golf Superstore. That thing looked like a pancake when set down on the carpet.

I have an older 64* TM wedge, rarely use it. It good for a few type of shots but generally I open up my 58*. For me at least it causes too much of a gap.

I actually currently alternate my 4H and 64* based on the course. When its in the bag I go 48/54/58/64, rule for me is at MOST I will only half swing it.

I LOVE my 64. I did not purchased a 3 metal to keep it in the bage. My difference between my TM M$ 5 metal and a 3 metal was not worth taking the 64 out of the bag. As they say, your scores is from 100 in and around the reens and they way I use my 64 I made the correct decision.

I actually currently alternate my 4H and 64* based on the course. When its in the bag I go 48/54/58/64, rule for me is at MOST I will only half swing it.

The thing I love about the HiToe 64 is when I put it back in my stance and nip the ball, it is going to stop right where it lands, no matter how hard the greens are (absent it landing on something like a false front or other severe slope).

I am going to try the 50, 56 and 64 setup for a round or two. If I don’t think I can manage the gaps, I am contemplating trying 49, 53, 58 and 64, and taking out the 5 wood. I use my 3 wood a lot on tight driving holes and I usually only use the 5 wood on par 5s. I could probably give up the 15 yards that the 5 wood gives me over my 3 hybrid and not notice a difference in my scores.

Sometimes I wish the limit were 15 clubs instead of 14. I could build a perfect bag with 15. Ha ha.

I am going to try the 50, 56 and 64 setup for a round or two. If I don’t think I can manage the gaps, I am contemplating trying 49, 53, 58 and 64, and taking out the 5 wood. I use my 3 wood a lot on tight driving holes and I usually only use the 5 wood on par 5s. I could probably give up the 15 yards that the 5 wood gives me over my 3 hybrid and not notice a difference in my scores.

Sometimes I wish the limit were 15 clubs instead of 14. I could build a perfect bag with 15. Ha ha.

Sounds good. And I agree with you, 14 clubs isn’t enough!!!

:)

My MD3 is probably past it’s best, so I’m in the market for a replacement.

The Hi Toe is currently number one given the MD4 isn’t available as a 64 C Grind, annoyingly.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

My MD3 is probably past it’s best, so I’m in the market for a replacement.

The Hi Toe is currently number one given the MD4 isn’t available as a 64 C Grind, annoyingly.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

If you are partial to Callaway, I thought the MD4 64 degree S grind looked really good. The leading edge was FLAT to the ground. Personally, I have fallen in love with the HiToes. I don’t think I have played anything better.

Jman- agree with the 1/2 swing

Last week I had to take a full swing on one that made me nervous as a cat in a dog pound

If you need even more Bombtech makes a 72* wedge

Back