Stupid things that disrupt your swing

obedt

Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
I figure most of us have little idiosyncrasies that get in our head. One of mine, which really hurt me yesterday, is when my club gets obstructed in the backswing. Sometimes happens out of the rough, when a clump of grass behind the ball hinders that initial move back...but it's guaranteed that when that happens I'm going to top it, blade it, chunk, or do something even more idiotic.

Happened to me yesterday, resulting with a gap wedge that was bladed through the green into the cabbage. That was my one lost ball on an otherwise solid ball striking day :(

Does this bother anyone else? Any other little things completely throw you off?

My brain. Can lack of focus interrupt my swing? Lol!

Something even remotely close on my follow through. Even if I've rehearsed my swing 10 times and know I'm not going to hit it, can't keep myself out of my own hea on that one.

Stupid things that disrupt your swing

I usually have the issues creep up if I am second guessing or saying “I really need to get a hold of this one”. I try to clear my mind if possible. Playing in 45 minutes so I hope it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sweat dripping off my hat in 95* weather during my backswing is pretty distracting, but like others just too many things going on in my head sometimes.

About to rip driver at a goat track muni and someone just blares the horn or yells "YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!" as they drive by typically throws me off.

Mud on the ball and clumpy grass behind the ball. I know both are part of the game but I let both muck with me most every time.

For me it's very soft ground... Just screws with my head every time.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

"cuppy" lies in the fairway because the grass hasn't been mowed recently or just maintained too high. This is particularly a problem for me when I have to hit a fairway wood out of that lie.

Seeing my shadow during my back swing. I know it is stupid, but it drives me crazy.

Something in my peripheral vision really bugs me. For example if someone is standing behind me. It gets really distracting. I've been trying to train myself not to notice, but it's been tough.

Oddly enough about the only thing that throws me off is if someone makes me laugh when I am addressing the ball, if I don't step back and regroup it is a crap swing every time.

The buttons on my Neo XS watch would beep during my back swing. Really threw me off for a while until I realized I could turn the sound off.

Last spring I was playing with my buddies and in the middle of the best round of my life. I ended up shooting an 85 which is still a PR. During the round, I wasn’t talking about how good the round was going, but everyone knew. On 15, a difficult par 5, I’m lining up a 10 footer for birdie. One of my buddies says, “Hey is that for birdie?” He wasn’t trying to be a richard, he was trying to make me laugh and break up the pressure. I backed off the putt and everyone including me started laughing. Before I restarted my routine, I told them, “you guys are jerks!” while still laughing. Of course I missed the putt, so yeah that messed me up but that round is one of my favorite rounds ever.

Hitting a fat shot, if I hit one I tend to start thinking about it every time I address the ball. Doesn't happen very often anymore, but when it does I just cant get the thought out of my head. The other thing is talking, if you are talking as I am getting ready to hit a drive that is fine, but don't stop as I am taking the club back, just keep yacking away.

A flatulent golf partner has more than once disrupted my swing

I figure most of us have little idiosyncrasies that get in our head. One of mine, which really hurt me yesterday, is when my club gets obstructed in the backswing. Sometimes happens out of the rough, when a clump of grass behind the ball hinders that initial move back...but it's guaranteed that when that happens I'm going to top it, blade it, chunk, or do something even more idiotic.

Happened to me yesterday, resulting with a gap wedge that was bladed through the green into the cabbage. That was my one lost ball on an otherwise solid ball striking day :(

Does this bother anyone else? Any other little things completely throw you off?

Worst for me is the same thing, my club snagging on something during my takeaway pretty much guarantees disaster. The same 'mental' mechanism engages when I hear or feel my driver tick a left behind tee during my takeaway. Topped duck hook into the crap is all but certain.

Back