Entering contest's when you wont use the prize.

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
I got to thinking about the great contest's from THP and those posted here but not sponsored by THP.

Question 1

Do you feel it is okay to enter a contest for a prize that you probably wont use?

Question 2

Do you think it is okay to sell or trade a prize won here after you have thoroughly reviewed the product?

Question 3

Does your answer change if it is a non THP contest?

I have not won any merchandise here but have entered contest's for items I probably would not use. Of course the members opinions are appreciated so speak up. I would like to hear the Admins opinion on this as well.

1) no, if I won't use it, I am happy to let someone else win it.
2) yes, if you won something, and, reviewed it, and, it isn't something you want to keep, you could sell, trade, or give it away
3) no, I only enter into contests, where I would enjoy winning the prize.

1. If it's an item that I wouldn't normally have any interest in, or want to try out, I don't enter. If I win something I don't really want, I've taken away the opportunity from someone else who does want it.
2. If the contest's intent is for reviewing the item, I'm going to do so, then beyond that, you're free to do what you want (if you've given an honest effort at the review period). Previously, I was given an item to continue a review from a THPer, and gave it on to another THPer when I was done reviewing it.
3. Nope.

Literally over my 5 plus decades I have won a contest twice. Once was an avalanche fund raiser raffle in Bellingham WA where i was notified after I was gone and never received the winnings. That was around 1996-97. The other was 2016 #TheCup. The THP/Callaway experience was the real win. From that I came away with a golf bag, a driver, a wedge, a few golf balls, and some hat/clothing swag. I gave away the bag locally and contested the driver here. I play the wedge. 2 sleeves of balls, a couple hats, and 2 shirts live on a shelf. I have no idea what I will do with any of those.

Beyond my limited experience, I don't see any issue with what others do, ranging from reasons to enter to what they do with winnings. It's all good. I personally won't enter unless I want the prize.

Why enter a contest for something you don't want? Not for me ... Let someone who wants it win it.

Yes you can sell something you did win if it turns out not to be of use.

Doesn't matter to me who is running the contest.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Like may others, unless it is something I would use I do not enter a contest. OTOH, if it is a contest to review something, again, being something that at least I think I would use, I'll enter and if it doesn't work out I will either sell or trade it and have no issue with what other people do. Doesn't matter to me whose contest it is.

I don’t usually enter any contest for a prize I’m not interested in using myself, sometimes if it’s something my son would use I’ll enter but those are few and far between.

As for selling, I don’t sell things I’ve won or been given, but I think that’s up to the individual. After it’s in your possession, it’s yours to do with what you want.

I got to thinking about the great contest's from THP and those posted here but not sponsored by THP.

Question 1

Do you feel it is okay to enter a contest for a prize that you probably wont use?

Question 2

Do you think it is okay to sell or trade a prize won here after you have thoroughly reviewed the product?

Question 3

I have not won any merchandise here but have entered contest's for items I probably would not use. Of course the members opinions are appreciated so speak up. I would like to hear the Admins opinion on this as well.

1 NO- On THP I only enter things I will use.
2 yes- I am more of the Trade it or give it away type since it didn't cost me anything.
3 Yes it changes if its a NON THP contest. If I win something I can't use I would just give it away to someone here most likely.

I won't enter a contest if I am not going to use it. Let someone else have that opportunity.
If you win something and have done reviews for a couple months, no reason not to sell or give away for someone else to try. ( I donated a set of Nippon Shafts that I won here to our local Kids Club)
For non THP contests, it is the same as #1, if I don't need or want to try it, I won't enter.

In my reading of the original posting I think you may be mixing different topics. THP at times has THP members review specific products. They ask volunteers to identify themselves and often to provide specific information and then they select the reviewers. The reviewers generally get to keep the product in compensation for their time and effort in reviewing the product. This is very different than a contest.

In the case of product reviews like this I think it’s very important that the reviewer be someone who would actually make use of the product. Volunteering to review a carry stand bag when you always cart ride makes no sense. Same with asking a a permanent resident of Phoenix to test rain gloves.

I don't enter contests unless it is something I want to use or try out.

No I don't think it is okay to sell an item but if it didn't work for me I think it is okay to trade it for something else that may work for me. Of course it is different if you are given something for review, then you review it as long as it takes prior to passing it along to someone else.

No it doesn't matter where you won the item from.

For me,
1. No, nor will I enter contests after winning one for a like product. Plenty of deserving THPers that should get a win.
2. Yes. But not doing so.
3. No, integrity travels well

No, I definitely do not enter if I am not interested in the prize. I have skipped several THP contests where I didn’t need the prize, the rangefinder ones come to mind as I already have one I am happy with. Let someone who doesn’t have one win imo.

No
Yes, but only after you’ve completed any responsibilities that came with it.
No

No, I will not enter a contest to win something I don't want.

I am more of pay it forward type of guy, especially if it is something that I won.

Doesn't matter who does the contest. Answer #1 still applies.

1) No.
2) Yes.
3) No.

I would have no issue entering a contest for something that wouldn't use. If I saw a contest for a Toyota Prius, I'd enter it in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't drive a Prius beyond the nearest Ford dealer to trade in for a nice car or truck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Dude, I promise i'm going to use the wedge!

Question 1

Do you feel it is okay to enter a contest for a prize that you probably wont use? No. I only enter contests for prizes that I would use.

Question 2

Do you think it is okay to sell or trade a prize won here after you have thoroughly reviewed the product? Yes. Once you have won it, it is yours to do with what you please.

Question 3

Does your answer change if it is a non THP contest? If it is an item I was selected to review, I would not do anything with it until it was thoroughly reviewed. After that point, I would not monetarily profit off it but would entertain trade offers from someone else that wants to try it that offers a trade for something that I could use.

I only enter contest for things that I know I will use or for things that I am interested in trying out. BUT, I have also entered in a couple contests for my brother or close friends. For example, my brother and another good friend I play with have grips that crumble in their hands. So, I got my buddy some brand new grips that were gifted to me and gave them to him (my brother ended up finding some he really liked and bought them, so it worked out great).

I got to thinking about this a little more. The only item I entered for that I would not use was the Callaway New York themed staff bag and head covers. I am not a NY or Callaway guy and while I LOVE my country the patriotic theme would be too busy for me to game or even display. So this begs the question, why did I enter the contest? Dunno really. That will be the last time for me though.

Keep the replies coming. OGputtnfool brings up a good point and I think most here would do the same as him. That also ties in with question 3. I hold this forum in the highest regard and I want to see the prizes enjoyed not hoarded. This is a special place.

As a rule I only enter contests that I want to win, so the other questions for me are a moot point. I am always amazed at people that spend all day entering every contest on social media. Some people are so oblivious they don't even read the rules, entry dates they just blindly enter contests that have expired. Tools!

Entering contest's when you wont use the prize.

If I’m not going to use it I don’t enter.

As a general rule I prefer to trade gear or give it away instead selling it.

I don’t really remember winning non THP contests. First answer is the same, second answer changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Echo & the Bunnymen message board, the band had a contest for free tickets to a Liverpool show which was won by an American who promptly offered them for sale on the forum. I felt like he was rightly excoriated.

Question 1: Do you feel it is okay to enter a contest for a prize that you probably wont use?
I skip all the contests that I won't actually use the item. I also skip contests when I have already won a similar item in the same calendar year. Like right now I'm playing Cobra irons and woods; I wouldn't enter any THP contest giving away irons and woods this year. I do need a putter though =)

Question 2: Do you think it is okay to sell or trade a prize won here after you have thoroughly reviewed the product?
I go 50/50 with this. Most of the time I give them away to or lend them to other THP members in my area. After a couple seasons they get sold unless they are special to me, like my Cobra widelow, in which case, it collects dust.

Question 3: Does your answer change if it is a non THP contest?
There are other contests besides THP?

I'll leave with this. If you hang around THP long enough something will end up coming your way, either through a contest or one of the very generous THP members. As I said in one of my answers, I tend to give my stuff away often to other THP'ers and I know I'm not the only THP member that does this. Being generous here on THP with your time and equipment is always the way to go.

Back