First time on course-it looks easy on TV

Edy13

Reaction score
Handicap
First time on a course today to actually "play". My final lesson of 6 was to "play" two holes.
It's definitely different than practice at the range and putting area.
I think I did about everything a noob could do:

Hit the first tee shot about 20 feet
Hit the second try 160 yards, so I don't feel too bad
Lost a ball in the woods
Whiffed several times
Couldn't get out of the bunker
A few 6++ putts
Probably would have gone into the water as well, but the coach told me to stay away.
Forgot a lot of what I thought I had down..:banghead:

It was a bit intimidating...

Humbling, still loved it though. I read somewhere that to truly become your best, one should embrace the "that sucked" and learn from it all. I won't grow unless I put myself out there and try- mistakes and embarrassments for all to see..

A big Thanks to everyone here. It's a great resource and I appreciate the chance to share and learn from you all...

Welcome to the wonderful world of golf. That's the joy of golf, humbling, frustrating and fun.

Well done. Golf is a big learning curve and always learning as you go. It can be a wonderful game if you let it be that way.

I've been on the course many times and your experience mirrors many of my rounds from the recent past. Golf is hard. But some reason, I keep coming back. Good work.

You did great! My brother and I lost 12 balls on the first hole we played.

Hey man sounds like a great day and some added learning for you.

Range time is good, but I truly believe you cannot get better without actually playing. Finding your rhythm, having more precise targets, etc. not saying you have to have for a spec of grass, but on the course you have hard guidelines of targets. Range it’s kind of like estimation.

Keep it up and enjoy it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just keep your head down and don't try to kill the ball and you will do fine

Every one of us had a "first time". Best advice I can think of is do a lot of work on the range, but don't worry about the results, just try to find a comfort level with your swing. Hit every other club in your bag, and try and imagine the type of shot you want to hit. Practice your putting at home on a carpet. Your stroke should improve rapidly as far as distance control. When you go out to the course, leave the bad shots out there, and take the good ones home with you. Enjoy your journey, you're going to love it!

We’ve all been there. Stick with it & you’ll eventually break through & it will be well worth it.

First time on a course today to actually "play". My final lesson of 6 was to "play" two holes.
It's definitely different than practice at the range and putting area.
I think I did about everything a noob could do:

Hit the first tee shot about 20 feet
Hit the second try 160 yards, so I don't feel too bad
Lost a ball in the woods
Whiffed several times
Couldn't get out of the bunker
A few 6++ putts
Probably would have gone into the water as well, but the coach told me to stay away.
Forgot a lot of what I thought I had down..:banghead:

It was a bit intimidating...

Humbling, still loved it though. I read somewhere that to truly become your best, one should embrace the "that sucked" and learn from it all. I won't grow unless I put myself out there and try- mistakes and embarrassments for all to see..

A big Thanks to everyone here. It's a great resource and I appreciate the chance to share and learn from you all...

Congrats on making it through the first experience. It's all addiction from here on out.

Where are you located? There are bound to be some THPers nearby to tee it up with.

just have fun. I said I never tell anyone this but I remember a round where I lost 29 balls, 29.

My first time on the course I duffed my tee shot into the rough and before my second shot I picked the ball up and tried to tee it back up in the rough. Dad got a good laugh out of that, then I got my first rules lesson :).

Welcome to the wonderful/painful/humiliating/frustrating/rewarding/fun world of golf! All of those feelings can occur on the same hole too, doesn't take a full round. Stick with it, keep practicing, and keep on posting! I'm about an hour out from leaving for a round so I'm in a great mood. Will the golf gods giveth today or will they crush my soul? Won't know for a few hours but I live for those days when they giveth!!

Rock on!

Back