What makes you more excited?

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
What makes you more excited - 1) making a putt for birdie, or 2) making a birdie on a pitch shot?

Birdie putt. No question

Birdie off a pitch because it's so infrequent.

But birdie with a putt is more satisfying because it reflects a hole played properly and very well at that.

Birdie off a putt.

For me it’s more about execution. I’m most satisfied when I get the right read and hit the ball with the intended direction and speed. When that happens and the ball goes inthat is the most satisfying to me.

Birdie putt for now. Mainly because it means a GIR. Can't recall last time I had a chip-in, maybe when I get another one I will think differently.

Neither. I get most excited about tap in birdie putts that I don't even need the putter.

Birdie putt. Because the chip does have a luck factor involved at some level IMO.

Birdie putt. A chip in for me seems like a fluke regardless of what score it’s for. Also, the chip is super rare for my game.

Putt. As Architex and SirShives have mentioned, a chip or pitch has more of a luck component. Even if you hit it perfectly, it’s rare for them to go in.

Easily a birdie putt. That can really kick start a round and build up confidence.

Birdie putt because until very recently my putting was always the worst part of my game so much so that I was more likely to chip one in than to make the putt.

Birdie putt. Chip in birdies are rare.

For me personally, it's when my ball goes into the cup off a pitch shot. For example lets say I'm lying 20 yards from the hole and then I analyze what sort of pitch shot might give me a chance to hole my ball. I look at what sort of slope might be on the green and then pick a spot either on the green or just short of the green I want to hit to give my ball a chance to hole out. Then I execute the shot I envision in my mind and pull it off perfect and my ball goes in the cup. It may happen only once every forth round or so but I do get them. I make quite a few amazing putts and because they are more frequent they don't excite me as much as a pitch shot which goes in the hole.

Birdie putt for sure! Nothing like watching the ball rolling on the line you saw and fall right in the cup

More excited, chipping in. More satisfied is putting in anything with wings.

Long birdie putt. I chip/pitch in frequently enough, but when my putting is on I know I’m playing well.

Any birdie putt in excess of 5 feet. I think chip ins are more surprise than excitement, at least for me.

I love chipping it in!

We were playing the 18th hole about 2 months ago, and the sun had gone down, last light was fading so I pulled out my light up ball. It had LED's inside and when you strike the ball it lights up like a shooting star. It stays lit for about 10 min then shuts off. I only play these balls when it's dark because they are hard as a rock, and have distance like range balls, but it is SOOO COOL to watch them STREAK through the air.

The final hole is a Par 4, you need a good drive, then your second shot has to carry the water to the green. I carried the water, but was short in the ruff in front of the green. Our carts were parked as we finished out and many people were coming off the course, they lined up behind us not wanting to drive past as we were putting.

Everyone was wondering what the glowing ruff was all about. I walked up to it, chipped the ball, and it launched up into the air, it carried about 25 yards, landed right infront of the pin and dove in.

It's probably the only time I'll ever have applause after a shot!

Whiskey

Chipping in makes me more excited. It’s like I got a way with one I shouldn’t have. But making birdie putts are more satisfying. That would typically mean that I hit a solid iron onto the green.

Chipping in for birdie (or anything). I putt reasonably well so getting a good chip to drop is really nice.

Definitely the birdie putt.

While chipping in for bird is great I fully realize it was a good save and not likely to happen again anytime soon.

Of the two, birdie on a pitch is more exciting. Birdie on a putt let's you know you played the hole to almost perfection without getting lucky.

I prefer eagles to birdies though. Because I make way too many "others" that need an offset.

Gravestone will read "Here lies Smiter. He went for it. -2/+2=even".

Birdie putt, because I've never had the chip in birdie.

Back