Contest: #THPCallout c0ncept vs Checkered

c0ncept

SFT
Reaction score
Handicap
Life
We wanted to have a bit of fun and have ourselves a match. I am going to give Checkered 12 strokes. He could have had 16 because I am stupid and offered that but he was nice and went with 12. Don't let the yardage of this course fool you. It does not forgive mistakes. The 17th also might be the hardest hole I have ever played.

Date and Time: 6/30 or 7/1 @ 5pm
Tees: Blue
36088405_810510279153381_2560864466304499712_o.jpg

C0ncept likes to wear white belts and flat brims (also has a Nike club in the bag because “Tiger used one once”).

Checkered stands on the wrong side of the ball. He also has never played this course before.

WITB:

C0ncept

Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 10.5*
Fairways: Cleveland CG Black 16*
Hybrid: Nike Covert Tour 21*
Irons: Taylormade M3 4-PW
Wedges: Callaway Copper Forged 52, 56, 60
Putter: Custom Made Heavy Putter B1 34" with 17" Pistol Grip

Checkered

Driver: Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme w/Miyazaki Kusala Blue 72S
Fairway Wood: Cleveland Launcher 3W
Hybrid: Callaway XHot Pro 4H
Irons: Callaway XR Pro w/Recoil 680 F4 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland 588RTX 50* SCOR 54* and 59*
Putter: SeeMore One CS - or Cleveland TFI 2135 1.0

Just to add to the fun and have people follow along:

Seeing as we are in the birthplace of Costco and the fact that I am incredibly amused by the obsession or hatred of these things…I am going to pick 4 winners and send each of them a sleeve of the Kirkland Signature 4-piece golf balls. All you have to do is correctly pick the winner of our match.

Lot of strokes there Checkered FTW!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have fun guys! I'll go with Checkered getting those strokes.

Tough one to pick with both being among my favorite THPers. I’ll go with c0ncept, mostly because Checkered hasn’t played the course before.

Hit’em well guys!

Last edited:
Concept in a close 1 between 2 great thpers

Looking forward to this. I will be ready for you!!

Looking forward to this. I will be ready for you!!

You’re going to like the course a lot.

What are your GHIN handicaps? And more importantly, are they correct? ?

What are your GHIN handicaps? And more importantly, are they correct? ?

I just started playing again after 2 years so I do not have one. Checkered is around 22 I believe.

I just started playing again after 2 years so I do not have one. Checkered is around 22 I believe.

Alll I needed to hear. I know how those answers go lol #teamc0ncept sorry Checkered!

I'm taking my boy Checkered in this one. Hes a fairway machine with a solid wedge game.

Checkered can sneak up on you and hit amazing shots from insane places, and the dude has no fear at all of going after every shot. I've only played with c0ncept a couple times, but at one time he was a very low capper and has a beautiful swing - my recollection is he is some short game practice away from being right there again.

Normally I go with the strokes, but the difference here is the course familiarity if this track is as hard as c0ncept says it is. So I'm going with c0ncept - sorry John!!

Have fun out there guys, great pair of dudes playing a great PNW track.

Let's go Checkered! 12 strokes buddy! Just play like you did at Morgan!

Here are the first 5 holes on the course: I apologize for the images since they are actually pretty off and do not show the elevation changes. Will definitely be posting pictures as we come to each hole this weekend.

Hole 1: Checkered gets a stroke on this one
Slightly uphill par 4. Looks easy on paper but it is set up to be a real pain. Fairway is pretty easy to hit but do not go long or you'll have an uneven lie. Miss the green left and you are most likely OB same with long but a little more room there.
Spoiler
Echofallshole1.jpg

Hole 2: Checkered gets a stroke on this one
Another short par 4 but very uphill. Easy to roll off the fairway on the right side which will be playable but leave you with a blind approach to the green.
Spoiler
Echofallshole2.jpg

Hole 3:
Risk reward hole. How you play this depends on the wind. The picture is pretty off but the blue tees are actually closer to under the lake. Intimidating tee shot.
Spoiler
Echofallshole3.jpg

Hole 4: Checkered gets a stroke on this one
Not a hard par 5 but has a narrow green. Everything runs off to the right towards the green. Left side of the fairway off the tee leaves a giant tree blocking the green.
Spoiler
Echofallshole4.jpg

Hole 5:
190 yard par 3 over hazard. Huge bunker on the right side. Another intimidating tee shot.
Spoiler
Echofallshole5.jpg

Have to go with my ole partner c0ncept! Will be a great time and I know Checkered will give him a run. Have fun boys

I'm going to go with c0ncept on this one. With checkered only getting strokes on 1/6 par 3 holes, I think it'll be hard for him. The longer par 3 holes are hard enough for a mid-high handicapper and without strokes, I think at least a few of those 3's are going to go to c0ncept. Seems like an accurate read with my limited (basically non-existent) knowledge of either.

Having seen Checkered play in Las Vegas, I've got to pull for him even though he hits it from the wrong side. Go get him John!

Gotta go with my boy, Checkered on this one. Musicians unite!

Got in a preparatory round today. shot 45/49. I should have been lower, but I rushed a bit on the back nine which led to some trouble. lesson learned... Felt good overall and got some good things to take with me into this match up.

Next 5 holes on the course:

Hole 6: Checkered gets a stroke on this one
Par 5 that is incredibly downhill. A narrow fairway with lots of moguls on the left side. Always a downhill lie on the 2nd shot. Shots will fall towards the left side. Not a tough hole but better know your distances well due to the slope.
Spoiler
Echofallshole6.jpg

Hole 7:
Narrow green par 3 with bunkers protecting left and right. Usually plays about 180-190 slightly uphill.
Spoiler
Echofallshole7.jpg

Hole 8: Checkered gets a stroke on this one
Uphill par 4 with a hidden fairway. Tee is in the middle of the most open area of the course so it can get windy. Long narrow green that has a berm front left and a bunker front right.
Spoiler
Echofallshole8.jpg

Hole 9: Checkered gets a stroke on this one
Dogleg left that depending on where the tee boxes are could make 17 at augusta look like a wide window. Approach to an uphill green that punishes misses long or left.
Spoiler
Echofallshole9.jpg

Hole 10:
Very short par 3. Wedge shot. Bunkers on the front leaving a small window the thread in the middle.
Spoiler
Echofallshole10.jpg

Fun contest guys, good luck.

Going with checkered, have fun out there guys!!

I'm going with my M3-testing-partner c0ncept....he has the M3 advantage, has familiarity of the course, and well...he's got those M3's!!!! Bring it home!!!!

12 strokes is a lot to overcome, but I think I have to go with C0ncept and his knowledge of the course.

But as a higher HC player I’ll be thrilled if checkered pulls off the win!

have a great time guys! The course looks awesome!

In looking at the WITB to find something to hang my hat on with the pick, I noticed that both had Xhot Pro clubs so that was a wash. But the possibility that Checkered will be rolling the awesome SeeMore ONEcs is too much for me to ignore so I have to go with him ftw.

Back