Video On Driver Length and The Importance of a Driver Fitting

Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Reaction score
Handicap
From a local shop near me;

Bottom line......Get Fit!

Only if shops and fitters offered shorter lengths to try. I choke down on every off the wall driver, but how do you know if you are choking down at the same point each time unless you tape or mark the grip. Which I wouldn't feel comfortable unless the shop approved first.

I actually paid for a fitting with a certified Callaway fitter and he had ZERO shorter lengths to try. Only thing he could offer was a 43.5" 3w shaft which wasn't ideal. I should have just canceled the appt on the spot but the swing tips he gave me were worth the price of admissio.

I'd love to see a shop with half inch shaft increments from 43" up to 45.5" in each club. Downside is it would be cost prohibitive.

Only if shops and fitters offered shorter lengths to try. I choke down on every off the wall driver, but how do you know if you are choking down at the same point each time unless you tape or mark the grip. Which I wouldn't feel comfortable unless the shop approved first.

I actually paid for a fitting with a certified Callaway fitter and he had ZERO shorter lengths to try. Only thing he could offer was a 43.5" 3w shaft which wasn't ideal. I should have just canceled the appt on the spot but the swing tips he gave me were worth the price of admissio.

I'd love to see a shop with half inch shaft increments from 43" up to 45.5" in each club. Downside is it would be cost prohibitive.

Do you have a Callaway Performance Center anywhere near you? They had a large selection of shafts at 44" (I think that was the shortest) when I was fit last time.

Do you have a Callaway Performance Center anywhere near you? They had a large selection of shafts at 44" (I think that was the shortest) when I was fit last time.

The THP Tour Van has shafts in 44, 45 and standard too. :D

Sadly, most manufacturers do not offer a reasonable method of adding weight to their driver heads. Consequently, a player who wants a 44" driver (instead of the stock 45") , to maintain a reasonably balanced club (swing weight) must either add led tape to the head, or deal with a messy injection of rat glue.

I am showing my age here but I remember when 44 was standard lol

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

And I hear there's some rivalry going on in that region. That's a far more fun option.

Tried looking on the Cally site but got nowhere. It said my local Golf Galaxy was Performance Center and I laughed.

Sadly, most manufacturers do not offer a reasonable method of adding weight to their driver heads. Consequently, a player who wants a 44" driver (instead of the stock 45") , to maintain a reasonably balanced club (swing weight) must either add led tape to the head, or deal with a messy injection of rat glue.

In my Titleist fitting, we simply confirmed what I already knew from previous fittings, which was I needed all of my low lofted clubs shorter than standard. I'm at 43.50 inches with the driver, 40.25 3 wood and 39.50 5 wood. My optimal hybrid length is 38.50 (24 degree) & 37.50 (27 degree).

So, all of my new clubs were custom order to have a SW of D3 in driver and woods and D2 in the hybrids. This is always an option. I have in the past done lead powder plugged down the shaft with no issues. Another great thing today is that many drivers, woods and hybrids have weights that can be changed. For me there was no upcharge on these club changes when we made the order.

I am showing my age here but I remember when 44 was standard lol

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I remember when 42 to 43 inches was the driver standard!

i have never had a driver fitting. I play a x2hot at 9° with a standard aldila tour blue stiff at full length. it really is hit or miss for me to land in the fairway, usually at least 250 yards down play. i do hit my partners driver at least 2 times in a round. His is a titleist 910d2, 12°, "brown" diamana regular flex shaft at an inch and a half shorter than mine. I pound that driver every time! at least as long as the x2hot but always hit the fairway! i swear when the funds allow it i will buy a driver with a short shaft, either a titleist or much sheaper adams xtd. there is something to be said about the setup and control of a shorter shaft

I think once I have some time I will go do this. When I can hit my Nike Covert right on it feels great, however, that is about one in ten swings.

Video On Driver Length and The Importance of a Driver Fitting

What's the name of that YouTube channel? I'm in Tapatalk so I may be missing the obvious.

Not the perfect scenerio but you can fit yourself with some impact tape and some tape to mark the grip on your driver. It is a good idea to get a wrist to floor measurement as a starting point for shaft length. There is a chart that matches shaft length to wrist to floor measurement, remember that is just a starting point for shaft length.

I remember ripping the Ping Eye 2 drivers with steel at 44...how much things have changed

Great video. I cut all my shafts to 44.5"; probably got 7 different shaft types at that length. I'll bet I could probably go down to 44.0" and would be more consistent. I'm not even close to consistent now but that's more a mental driver issue than a shaft issue. Something about hitting drivers has just never been great for me. Put a fairway wood in my hand and I'm fine.

i have never had a driver fitting. I play a x2hot at 9° with a standard aldila tour blue stiff at full length. it really is hit or miss for me to land in the fairway, usually at least 250 yards down play. i do hit my partners driver at least 2 times in a round. His is a titleist 910d2, 12°, "brown" diamana regular flex shaft at an inch and a half shorter than mine. I pound that driver every time! at least as long as the x2hot but always hit the fairway! i swear when the funds allow it i will buy a driver with a short shaft, either a titleist or much sheaper adams xtd. there is something to be said about the setup and control of a shorter shaft

Pull the grip and cut it down.

How about just chokes down on the driver? I remember A.K. did it and still hits 300+.

How about just chokes down on the driver? I remember A.K. did it and still hits 300+.

A little choking down won't hurt but I during a fitting with a Callaway fitter he didn't recommend gripping down more than an inch. Said anything more and it can restrict the hands during release.

Back