The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the golf sim yesterday. Used my clubs for the first time in a little over 5 weeks. My biggest issue last year was coming way over the top, like 8 degrees or so outside in with a closed face somewhere around 8 degrees to compensate. This winter my biggest focus is to correct that. Yesterday I was around 1 degree inside out to at worst 2 degrees outside in. My big miss was keeping the face closed way to much. I'm glad the sim I go to tracks club path because it is making these swing changes much easier to see.

Hit 300 balls today with the new irons and things are looking good. After a 2 month break due to a fender bender it only took a couple hours to get my groove back

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Great lesson this morning on trackman good gosh it teaches soo much when you know how to use it.

I got some serious work to do but Michigan I'm coming for you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chipping and putting work tonight. For chipping, I am working on hitting down on the ball instead of trying to lift the ball up with the club, and when I let the loft of the club do the work, it's amazing how crisp the shots are. Varying ball position forward and backwards to see what impact that has on flight and spin, overall just getting much more comfortable with my 58* in hand. For putting, I continue to work on distance control, varying up the distance and trying to get it just past my target; the stroke is starting to feel much smoother, I just need to have more trust in it on the course.

Long productive session today working on getting to my left side at impact and not tilting away from the target.

Used the one foot drill, feet together and parallel drill.

Angle of attack is good, path in to out, need to work on face angle a bit.

Speed is horrible at the moment but hoping speed comes back with more practice

Short range session today only because I had a few iron shots yesterday that bugged me. Just felt I was hitting off my back foot a lot and suspected it was because of a combination of over-backswinging and quickening my downswing. I've also become a little lazy on my swing plane, so after doing some drills today, decided to go to the range to work on a couple things. It was definitely a tempo thing and was able to get things back in sync. The weather is gonna start getting more iffy, but I'm gonna keep playing with a focus on getting my handicap below 15 next year. One of the big things I'm gonna try to get ready for next season is a pre-shot routine. I think it'll really help in pressure situations and keep me a little more focused throughout the entire round. So will be working on that as well.

Worked on loading onto my right side(inside of right foot) and then unloading into the ball to get my launch and spin numbers to come down with hopefully the added bonus of increased SS.

I'm really struggling getting this down gonna keep at it though.

Another session at the heated range today, and things are feeling really good. I'd say 85-90% of my drives would have been in the fairway, and irons are pretty tight as well. I plan on 1 more session there next saturday before leaving for the Grandaddy, and the rest of the time will be spent on short game work. Home stretch, time to tighten things up and get ready for one hell of a fun ride.

2 hours hitting golf balls in the garage today. Looks like I'll be able to reinforce my lessons over winter and also keep from getting rusty. 15-20 minutes with the heater on and then I'm good for at least an hour. Little bit of music and I won't even notice there will be 2 feet of snow soon. Feeling positive about winter for the first time.

Hit a bucket today trying to reinforce changes from my last lesson. Was pretty frustrating, but that's part of the process with big changes so I'm trying not to get down about it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hit a bucket today trying to reinforce changes from my last lesson. Was pretty frustrating, but that's part of the process with big changes so I'm trying not to get down about it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Keep that head up it ain't easy changing the swing, you'll get there

Really good range session yesterday. The machine ate my token so the guy gave me 3 tokens and a large bucket. Really liking the contact I am making with my irons. The driver is still a work in progress, but much better than it was a month ago. I even got some bunker practice in yesterday. Hit some really good sand shots and some not so good. Definitely will be a focal point for continued improvement during spring lessons. Plan on some more short game work this week.

Had a very good range session this afternoon. I'd been getting really very impact-focused of late, which was badly affecting my ball striking and leading to some truly horrendous shots with my longer clubs. So today was really just focused on rhythm and getting to a good finish position, and letting impact take care of itself. Hitting my hybrids much higher as a result, and really helping to rein in my fairway wood, which has gone from a surprise slicer to a controllable push. Still struggling to get the club to turn over with my driver, so the high push-fade/slice is still in play for me, but getting closer to bringing it to heel. I'm also getting centered impact much more consistently. Just a matter of zeroing out my face angle at impact. Still, in terms of being able to feel like my swing is getting more consistent through the bag, today was a really good day. Just need to translate it to the course on Tuesday.

I had to take advantage of the low 50's temps today, so I headed over to the covered range and had the place to myself. I only brought driver, 7i, and PW with me, and my driver was limited to only a few shots due to the sun glare - I couldn't see a thing towards the far end of the range.

Early November was the last time I think I got out to the range, and the rust was evident. I hit a number of short wedges just to try and get things in motion, and then moved up to full swings after a while. I made sure to always have a target no matter the distance I was aiming for, and did sort of OK. Missed left and right a bunch (more left) but nothing too bad.

On the whole, I was happy to get at least one more range session in before the really bad weather hits. I learned this season that feeling like I'm making a more compact swing gives me much straighter ballflight, and once I remembered that thought, my shots were so much better. I hope to hold onto that one over the winter and into any sim time I get.

This thread is very interesting. Many doing complete overhaul some just a quick tip here or there. For me I did the whole over haul. And even after a year of exhaustive work I still have to be very manual and observant of results in my practice. After taking a few weeks off from hitting balls , I noticed I revert back so easily to my previous swing faults. Even after one solid year of practice an hour or more each day. A little bothersome how my old habits want to creep in so fast

but i also have almost 3.5 decades of swing habits to break. I'm thinking this takes a lot of time

I'm getting so itchy to start work in this thread

After admitting I suck at bunkers and having someone suggest I YouTube RFC talking about bunkers, I did that and worked a bit in my basement on a bunker type swing. 58* wedge plus open faced club = balls bouncing off the ceiling (unfinished), but the motion feels good and I can't wait to try it in real sand.

One last range session before TheGrandaddy. Just focused on smooth tempo and making good ball contact with all the clubs. Really happy with the work I've put in and how the swing is feeling right now. Also happy for heated ranges on this 30 and foggy day.
0b7f30a0d79c7a96d8eec4563687e961.jpg

A little practice before the round

1ee38b00e79d42a71b2395f3720cc4e8.jpg

Went out for a tune-up 9 today with the nice weather. Had the course to myself so hit several balls off the tee, worked on chipping into the green from fairway and rough, and tried to work on sand shots, but it was about 1/4" of sand with mud below that so wasn't having much luck splashing out of the bunkers. When the round was done, spent some time working on tempo on the practice green and then more chipping. The work is done, and it's almost time for the fun to begin.

It's been too long since I hit balls, 2 weeks I think. Need to get out there!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It's been too long since I hit balls, 2 weeks I think. Need to get out there!

Going on 3 weeks for me. It will be ugly when I get back out there.

Going on 3 weeks for me. It will be ugly when I get back out there.
Sounds about right for me as well...also we need to tee it up again!

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Working on somethangs from my last lesson proper loading into the right side and then unloading, shoulders parallel to ground at impact

So awesome having the new set up at work to get reps in.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449365659.485657.jpg

Edit-

Got lots more work in today and things are starting to feel like they did back in the spring when they were good

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back