Tipping at Golf - How much do you Tip? ...for which services

ProZoneGolf

Clubmaker/Fitter
Reaction score
Handicap
How much do you tip?

What is your idea of the correct amount for the job done?

Or do you clean your own clubs and not tip?

Do you know some cheap skates who un-saddle their bag n go...

$5 to the club cleaning guy

$5 is fair for a normal place, high end Course maybe more

If the guy makes a effort I will let him finish, he has to pay for Santa Claus also

Yes, I do know some like that. Either no tip or a buck and they are loaded....

Pretty sure here is a thread or two on this already

Pretty sure here is a thread or two on this already

I believer there is too, but no big deal. New fresh conversation with new members should work fine.

I work at a golf course and previously cleaned clubs for a couple years among other things. Usually I was tipped nothing. If I cleaned 100+ sets that day, still nothing. Sometimes you'll get 1, rarely more than 1. I've been tipped from 50 cents to upwards of $50+

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I don't normally go places where you tip anyone other than counter staff.

I usually try to get my clubs off before someone cleans, because I don't really want then cleaned and usually don't have cash. But I will usually tip about $3 if I do let them clean them and load them.

I try to avoid it. It's akin to the guy trying to wash my car window in traffic. Basically begging IMO.

Minimum $5 to the bag boys and/or locker room attendant.

In all honesty guys these guys work/depend on tips they make minimum wage, If you can afford to play golf you can afford to give these guys at minimum a couple bucks.

Do the club cleaning guys make a good wage or are they reliant on tips for their pay?

If they are getting a good wage, it's part of their job description. Especially if you are paying top dollar to play or are a member at a fancy club. I never did follow the "well, he's a cheap skate if he's not tipping" or "they are loaded, they can afford to tip well". What does one thing have to do with another? Now if I was playing the club for free all the time, that's a different ball game altogether in my eyes.

I rarely play anywhere where there is service that would require tipping..........

Do the club cleaning guys make a good wage or are they reliant on tips for their pay?

If they are getting a good wage, it's part of their job description. Especially if you are paying top dollar to play or are a member at a fancy club. I never did follow the "well, he's a cheap skate if he's not tipping" or "they are loaded, they can afford to tip well". What does one thing have to do with another? Now if I was playing the club for free all the time, that's a different ball game altogether in my eyes.

Tipping is not supposed to be about whether or not someone is making a liveable wage. Its supposed to be about showing appreciation for those that provide a service.

Tipping is not supposed to be about whether or not someone is making a liveable wage. Its supposed to be about showing appreciation for those that provide a service.

Gotta disagree with you on that one, JB. In the food industry, your server is only making $1.25 an hour so is relying on tips for most of their pay. Same with valet parking attendants. Where else is it common place to tip? Rather where else is it expected?

If what you say is true, you should tip every single person that takes care of you anywhere if you appreciate what they've done for you. In some industries it's outright illegal to tip. It's considered a "kickback".

Gotta disagree with you on that one, JB. In the food industry, your server is only making $1.25 an hour so is relying on tips for most of their pay. Same with valet parking attendants. Where else is it common place to tip? Rather where else is it expected?

So if the serves give you poor service you tip anyway because of their wage?

So if the serves give you poor service you tip anyway because of their wage?

They get 15% which is the industry standard. If the service is outstanding they get much more. Haven't you seen all the crap online about people not tipping their server??

Oh oops, only one more place tipping is expected that I can think of. The 1st mate on a fishing boat gets a tip, because he or she rarely gets paid anything.

What they make is irrelevant. The definition of tipping is showing appreciation for a service provided. If you go to a restaurant, do you take a survey of their base earnings? What about a delivery person? Take a survey? Of course not. You are providing based on assumption, for a service that they are doing for you. This is no different.

If a server spits in your food and calls you names, you dont tip because of bad service. You would not give them money because of their regular wage.

What they make is irrelevant. The definition of tipping is showing appreciation for a service provided. If you go to a restaurant, do you take a survey of their base earnings? What about a delivery person? Take a survey? Of course not. You are providing based on assumption, for a service that they are doing for you. This is no different.

If a server spits in your food and calls you names, you dont tip because of bad service. You would not give them money because of their regular wage.

We can agree to disagree.

If someone spits in my food and calls me names, I walk out of the place!

I always top the guys cleaning clubs. I actually appreciate them doing that.
I do have buddies who will drive off fast to avoid it, when that happens I will tip on their behalf

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I made 75 cents over minimum wage at a fancy club and continue to work there. I also work in the restaurant business as a busser.

That being said, I don't tip if the service is poor. A job is exactly that, a job. It's not charity. If you provide a good service you will be tipped. IMO and in my experience you don't even have to work that hard to do so, thus I don't tip if the service is bad because that says the person is giving you 0% effort. It's not the person who wants the service's fault you have a low wage to compensate your earnings in tips, if you make nothing then it's on you to do better, or maybe that job isn't right for you.

That being said, I don't tip if the service is poor. A job is exactly that, a job. It's not charity. If you provide a good service you will be tipped. IMO and in my experience you don't even have to work that hard to do so, thus I don't tip if the service is bad because that says the person is giving you 0% effort. It's not the person who wants the service's fault you have a low wage to compensate your earnings in tips, if you make nothing then it's on you to do better, or maybe that job isn't right for you.

The argument against what you are saying is that the server may not be solely responsible for the poor service. If the food is cold, perhaps they weren't notified in a timely manner. Or they have too many tables because the restaurant owner can't be bothered to hire enough staff, etc. The only one in the place working for such a low wage is the serving staff (I think).

I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying (or JB for that matter) but have a slightly different outlook on it.

The other side of the coin is how closely do you inspect your newly cleaned clubs? Do you look at every one and make sure it's to your satisfaction before tipping the cleaning lad? Or do you just give the tip, and then curse when you get home because he or she didn't do a good job if that happens to be the case? Or what about the curmudgeon guy who wants every speck of dirt cleaned off their club and then tips the lad a whopping 25 cents for a job well done? That's much more insulting in my eyes, then no tip at all.

Yeah I tip the club washers, usually $5. I'll tip the cart girl a couple dollars for each drink. I used to tip the guys at my old club who would put my bag in the cart. I tip caddies and forecaddies appropriately.

Err on the side of tipping. It goes a long way.

Only tip for good service... Not because they are entitled

some places you have to beg to get a refill. Nope, not getting one

The argument against what you are saying is that the server may not be solely responsible for the poor service. If the food is cold, perhaps they weren't notified in a timely manner. Or they have too many tables because the restaurant owner can't be bothered to hire enough staff, etc. The only one in the place working for such a low wage is the serving staff (I think).

I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying (or JB for that matter) but have a slightly different outlook on it.

The other side of the coin is how closely do you inspect your newly cleaned clubs? Do you look at every one and make sure it's to your satisfaction before tipping the cleaning lad? Or do you just give the tip, and then curse when you get home because he or she didn't do a good job if that happens to be the case? Or what about the curmudgeon guy who wants every speck of dirt cleaned off their club and then tips the lad a whopping 25 cents for a job well done? That's much more insulting in my eyes, then no tip at all.

I said the above because I believe you are tipping a service. Not because I dont believe in tipping. I overtip just about every where I go. I always tip the club washer, as well as the guy that loads the cart and the person that gets my range balls.

My sole thought here was that you were tipping for a service, not just because of their wage.

I struggle with this a little bit and ran into it at almost every course in Palm Springs.
1) I carry my clubs from the car to the pro-shop and then a guy takes my bag off my shoulder and starts to mount clubs onto a cart. This isn't a service that I want, need, or appreciate so I always tell them "no thank you" very politely.
2) After the round a guy tries to clean my clubs and dismount my bag from the cart. Again, no thank you. I've never had them cleaned properly and I'm OCD so I would never be satisfied anyways.

Does the above make me a cheap bastard? I have no problem tipping for services rendered - when the service is something I actually want done.

I said the above because I believe you are tipping a service. Not because I dont believe in tipping. I overtip just about every where I go. I always tip the club washer, as well as the guy that loads the cart and the person that gets my range balls.

My sole thought here was that you were tipping for a service, not just because of their wage.

I totally get it. But then, why not tip everyone everywhere if the service is good and is appreciated? That's my point.

I am the same as you in some regards. I go out of my way to tip more than necessary if I feel it is warranted, and will go so far as to pull managers over to make sure credit is given when credit is due. I do make a distinction. That is where we differ.

Back