Very strange Rory interview

I realize team sports are different but I can't imagine someone like Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretsky or even Tom Brady saying they have no interest in winning another Championship and still having a career. That's why they played. To win the big events. Get the trophy.

I don't have a problem with what he's saying, but between this and some other interviews (i.e. "I don't care about growing the game"), he strikes me as someone who doesn't always get the bigger picture. Golf at the top level is lucrative because sports fans want to see the top talents battle for the biggest trophies.

If all of the top players said "nah, I'm good - just playing for fun now", then pro golf would lose its appeal and the money that comes with it. The golfers who gave Rory the opportunity to be rich (i.e. Tiger, Arnie) didn't talk like he does...

I am not sure I understand why Rory is being compared to guys like Arnie or Tiger.

Also, what happens if he continues to succeed and win tournaments while having fun? How is that bad for the game?

I am not sure I understand why Rory is being compared to guys like Arnie or Tiger.

Also, what happens if he continues to succeed and win tournaments while having fun? How is that bad for the game?

If Rory started winning tournaments / majors whilst just going out for fun then I would say the rest of the field could be in serious trouble :D

Maybe this change to a relaxed attitude turns out to be the key for him...?

I take him for his word and it's an honest assessment of himself. I do like how he has said he hasn't lived up to his potential, another reason why I believe what he's saying.

He said he has a number of Majors he would like to win in another interview in recent years but declined to say how many for obvious reasons. I would venture to guess that number being 8-10 which is completely reasonable to achieve for Rory.

Those quotes seem just fine to me.

I realize team sports are different but I can't imagine someone like Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretsky or even Tom Brady saying they have no interest in winning another Championship and still having a career. That's why they played. To win the big events. Get the trophy.

In the quote you posted, when did Rory say he has no interest in winning another major?

In the quote you posted, when did Rory say he has no interest in winning another major?

Sorry. You're right. He said it wouldn't change anything in his life if he doesn't. I get the subtle difference. Apologies.

If people like Arnie and Tiger didn't elevate the profession to where it is today, you wouldn't be able to get filthy rich playing golf for a living. I'm just pointing out that sometimes Rory acts like golf talent itself should entitle you to extreme wealth. The fierce competition and fan engagement are what make his career viable, and his DGAF attitude shows me that he doesn't quite get it.

Not a problem for me, he can do whatever he wants, and there are certainly people in every job who benefit from the work without doing anything to advance the profession... It just doesn't strike me as very fulfilling.

Is that a fact? Their sole purpose of playing was to win championships?

(ignoring the part where Rory never said he didn't have interest in winning)

Married life, new perspective as he’s ages/matured and money isn’t something he has to worry about. See nothing strange with any of that. I’m willing to bet he plays better and more consistent if he keeps this mindset. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he slowed down on golf by age 35

Is that a fact? Their sole purpose of playing was to win championships?

(ignoring the part where Rory never said he didn't have interest in winning)

Pretty much. "Hey, why don't you retire?" "I want to win one more..." I think I remember both MJ and Gretsky saying something like that in the twilight of their careers. As did Kelly Slater when asked recently why he isn't hanging up the surf board.

I guess I can't prove it's actual fact. Just the sense I get.

Pretty much. "Hey, why don't you retire?" "I want to win one more..." I think I remember both MJ and Gretsky saying something like that in the twilight of their careers. As did Kelly Slater when asked recently why he isn't hanging up the surf board.

I guess I can't prove it's actual fact. Just the sense I get.

So, did any of them say "I want to win one more... it won't keep me up at night if I don't, and I'd be disappointed if I didn't, but nothing is going to change in my life if I win another or not"

Again though, comparing Rory to some of the greatest players of all time in sports seems like a big miss to me.

If people like Arnie and Tiger didn't elevate the profession to where it is today, you wouldn't be able to get filthy rich playing golf for a living. I'm just pointing out that sometimes Rory acts like golf talent itself should entitle you to extreme wealth. The fierce competition and fan engagement are what make his career viable, and his DGAF attitude shows me that he doesn't quite get it.

Not a problem for me, he can do whatever he wants, and there are certainly people in every job who benefit from the work without doing anything to advance the profession... It just doesn't strike me as very fulfilling.
That's an assumption that you are fabricating out of your own perceptions. I have never gotten that sense from Rory. I haven't spoken to him in years though. What was your last conversation with him like?

So, did any of them say "I want to win one more... it won't keep me up at night if I don't, and I'd be disappointed if I didn't, but nothing is going to change in my life if I win another or not"

Again though, comparing Rory to some of the greatest players of all time in sports seems like a big miss to me.

I understand what you're saying, but I would say, yes. The only reason they still wanted to play was to win another championship. The only reason they didn't retire was to win again. Did they need the money? Nope. Did they need to prove that they were the best to anyone? Nope. It was their inner drive to win. Just one more time.

To me, Rory's interview shows he just does not have that fire anymore. Which at his age could spell a premature end to a stellar career. That's all I'm saying. As you pointed out, I am comparing him to the greats. The greats had that fire until their last hurrah. Rory does not. Maybe he isn't that "great" despite his wins.

That's an assumption that you are fabricating out of your own perceptions. I have never gotten that sense from Rory. I haven't spoken to him in years though. What was your last conversation with him like?

Haha, we haven't talked recently. You're right, it's just what I perceive. To be fair, I think that's all any of us do with top level athletes. We can only go on what they show in public.

I understand what you're saying, but I would say, yes. The only reason they still wanted to play was to win another championship. The only reason they didn't retire was to win again. Did they need the money? Nope. Did they need to prove that they were the best to anyone? Nope. It was their inner drive to win. Just one more time.

To me, Rory's interview shows he just does not have that fire anymore. Which at his age could spell a premature end to a stellar career. That's all I'm saying. As you pointed out, I am comparing him to the greats. The greats had that fire until their last hurrah. Rory does not. Maybe he isn't that "great" despite his wins.

See, I don't think it takes an 'inner drive to win' to be competitive at golf. Maybe on the practice end of things, but if you want to throw around comparisons I doubt MJ, Brady, and Gretzky were grinding out drills to improve their games at the tail end of their careers. Rory has expressed a passion for physical fitness over the last couple years and I think that's been the biggest factor in his reduction of dominant play. More time in the gym than at the course, but I don't have a problem with it.

Nothing about what he says suggests he won't be successful at golf. I read it as a guy who understands what gifts he's been giving, and plans to enjoy the ride. I'll watch a guy like that 10/10 over a guy throwing a fit because he just yanked an iron off the planet and now blames everyone else but himself. Speaking as a person who played better golf after realizing that there was more to the game than the lowest possible score, I'm not worried about Rors at all.

Wow, that is a HOT take. The enormous monetary wealth of sports has probably changed the outlook and futures of A LOT of athletes in many sports, and it is only increasing as of late with media rights. Just because an athlete doesn't want to compete 110% all the way to the Champions Tour (or equivalent in other sports) doesn't make their past accomplishments any lesser. If solely a mindset makes or breaks an athletes "greatness," would you say Barry Sanders or Bjorg Borg were not "great"? And this isn't even involving Rory talking about retirement, just that if he doesn't win another major he will be disappointed, but life goes on. There's only 19 other golfers in history that have won more majors, I'm sorry but we aren't going to see eye to eye on Rory not being "that great." At the end of the day, the guy seems to have found peace with himself and his accomplishments and appears to be living a happy life, which is all any of us aspire for.

Haha, we haven't talked recently. You're right, it's just what I perceive. To be fair, I think that's all any of us do with top level athletes. We can only go on what they show in public.

I really don't claim to have any idea what is going on with pro athletes. There might be something going on at home between Rory and his wife that we have no idea about. We don't know the question Rory was asked to give his "not losing sleep" response.

Rory has achieved the utmost highest successes in the game of golf. He is recently married and I assume he is happy. He did win a very high profile tournament this year and finished T-5 at Augusta. It isn't like he has messed the bed in 2018.

See, I don't think it takes an 'inner drive to win' to be competitive at golf. Maybe on the practice end of things, but if you want to throw around comparisons I doubt MJ, Brady, and Gretzky were grinding out drills to improve their games at the tail end of their careers. Rory has expressed a passion for physical fitness over the last couple years and I think that's been the biggest factor in his reduction of dominant play. More time in the gym than at the course, but I don't have a problem with it.

Nothing about what he says suggests he won't be successful at golf. I read it as a guy who understands what gifts he's been giving, and plans to enjoy the ride. I'll watch a guy like that 10/10 over a guy throwing a fit because he just yanked an iron off the planet and now blames everyone else but himself. Speaking as a person who played better golf after realizing that there was more to the game than the lowest possible score, I'm not worried about Rors at all.

Wayne Gretzky helped manufacture being traded off of a Stanley Cup winning team and went to one more cup in the last 11 years of his career, and was smoked by the Habs in 1992. Jordan retired in 1998 because Scotty, Phil, and Rodman were out of contract. He returned in 2001 because he had run the Wizard's franchise into the ground and needed to salvage the dumpster fire. Tom Brady thinks drinking water stops sunburn, so he is now a joke.

I’m glad Rors has this perspective. He’s not say he doesn’t want to win but that he has his priorities in line. Good for him, I think he’ll win a a few more.

Wow, that is a HOT take. The enormous monetary wealth of sports has probably changed the outlook and futures of A LOT of athletes in many sports, and it is only increasing as of late with media rights. Just because an athlete doesn't want to compete 110% all the way to the Champions Tour (or equivalent in other sports) doesn't make their past accomplishments any lesser. If solely a mindset makes or breaks an athletes "greatness," would you say Barry Sanders or Bjorg Borg were not "great"? And this isn't even involving Rory talking about retirement, just that if he doesn't win another major he will be disappointed, but life goes on. There's only 19 other golfers in history that have won more majors, I'm sorry but we aren't going to see eye to eye on Rory not being "that great." At the end of the day, the guy seems to have found peace with himself and his accomplishments and appears to be living a happy life, which is all any of us aspire for.

You should know “hot takes” are the norm from him. You response is perfect and I agree. There’s a lot of past, current and future golfers that wish they have/had Rory’s career.

You should know “hot takes” are the norm from him. You response is perfect and I agree. There’s a lot of past, current and future golfers that wish they have/had Rory’s career.

Just because you agree with one opinion doesn't make the other invalid.

It's not a "hot take". It's my honest opinion of what he said. You don't like it? No worries, but don't take a shot at me. No reason for an underhanded comment on my opinions. Or would the people on this forum rather everyone just agree with everyone else and not stimulate any kind of discussion whatsoever? Did I somehow insult you personally or something? Did I say something taboo? Some written word that is bannable? Is an honest opinion of an Athlete not allowed here? Wow.

Just because you agree with one opinion doesn't make the other invalid.

It's not a "hot take". It's my honest opinion of what he said. You don't like it? No worries, but don't take a shot at me. No reason for an underhanded comment on my opinions. Or would the people on this forum rather everyone just agree with everyone else and not stimulate any kind of discussion whatsoever? Did I somehow insult you personally or something? Did I say something taboo? Some written word that is bannable? Is an honest opinion of an Athlete not allowed here? Wow.

An honest opinion of an athlete (or anything) can be a "hot take." If you need an example, see Stephen A. Smith. Not a single person from what I've seen is saying you can't have your opinion, and his opinion of you is pretty similar to what you are defending yourself. It works both ways, except Rory isnt here to answer the call himself like you are.

It's good for someone to poke the bear and bring on a civil, worthy discussion. Disagreements with others happen, but they can often do so without trying to supress the opinions of others, no matter how different they are, or the either party getting overly defensive. No need to get worked up, we are all just internet golfers here to enjoy the game and site to however we see fit.

An honest opinion of an athlete (or anything) can be a "hot take." If you need an example, see Stephen A. Smith. Not a single person from what I've seen is saying you can't have your opinion, and his opinion of you is pretty similar to what you are defending yourself. It works both ways, except Rory isnt here to answer the call himself like you are.

It's good for someone to poke the bear and bring on a civil, worthy discussion. Disagreements with others happen, but they can often do so without trying to supress the opinions of others, no matter how different they are, or the either party getting overly defensive. No need to get worked up, we are all just internet golfers here to enjoy the game and site to however we see fit.

Yeah, except when I make a similar comment in other threads, suddenly JB shows up to tell me "we don't insult people" and then MWard chimes in that "we don't do that kinda thing here". Saying that all my opinions are "hot takes" is taking a stab. Seems to work for some, but not others. Typical.

Comment will be deleted or JB shows up in 3...2...1...

Back