Very strange Rory interview

NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
He says he doesn't care if he doesn't win another Major. He also mentions that he has more important things in his life now than Golf.

His comments before the Irish Open:
“Nothing is going to change in my life whether I win a major or not,” said McIlroy ahead of the Irish Open. “I’d be disappointed if I didn’t but I don’t panic. It doesn’t keep me up at night.”

“Look, if I didn’t win another major for the rest of my career, nothing is going to change in my life whether I win one or not, but obviously I don’t feel like I’ll have fulfilled my potential.”

“But at the same time, you know, there’s other things in my life that are more important than golf….I’d be disappointed but again, it’s not going to change things. I don’t panic. It doesn’t keep me up at night.”

Thoughts?

Good on him. Perspective. He's been successful and he doesn't want his win count to define him.

It's also really easy to say that after you've won 4 majors before the age of 30.

1) He obviously has enough money to not have to care
2) Maybe he feels he has been too obsessed with winning a major with bad results the past couple of years so might think changing the approach will serve him better
3) He's now married and likely kids in the horizon so that has him thinking longer term

If he could only get the putter even lukewarm he would do well, he was striping his irons this week.

1) He obviously has enough money to not have to care
2) Maybe he feels he has been too obsessed with winning a major with bad results the past couple of years so might think changing the approach will serve him better
3) He's now married and likely kids in the horizon so that has him thinking longer term

If he could only get the putter even lukewarm he would do well, he was striping his irons this week.

I think it is some of all of those things. But I believe a lot of his comments are meant get him out of his own head but backfire to sometimes considerable extent.

Good for him to be able to put life into perspective at a young age. Golf is great when he’s winning, but I love the personal reflection to not let winning and losing define him.

Love this mentality from him. Golf is a game and when it’s taken more serious than that the fun leaves

See no problem with what he said. Sounds like he is preparing for a family.

I’m not sure what’s strange about it. He said he’d be disappointed not to win another, and that he would feel like he didn’t fulfill his potential, but if he didn’t it wouldn’t be the end of the world. What’s wrong with that?

I appreciate his current mindset. Though these thoughts do seem to differ from his interview with David Feherty a few years back. Then he said that he didn't really play recreationally because golf was his job (or something along those lines.) In that case, if golf is your job and nothing more, I would think winning another major should be at the top of the list.

His perspective on life has obviously changed. Sometimes it takes an event in your life before you realize what is or is not as important.

I appreciate his current mindset. Though these thoughts do seem to differ from his interview with David Feherty a few years back. Then he said that he didn't really play recreationally because golf was his job (or something along those lines.) In that case, if golf is your job and nothing more, I would think winning another major should be at the top of the list.

He was talking to the media before an event recently (US Open I think) and was saying that he’s now playing with his friends and dad lately and has learned to play for fun and love of the game.

The media sometimes makes him out to be some sort of mental case because his results haven’t been great lately. Obviously he’s got issues putting which is mostly mental for everyone but I think he’s the opposite of a mental case. He seems like a genuinely nice, happy and normal guy in a game filled with neurotic, self obsessed head cases.

Well to be fair, your mind set in the low to mid 20’s does tend to change as you get older. He’s now married and approaching 30, so maybe he’s starting to think of family more. I think it’s more just maturing than anything.

Very strange? How so? Sounds like someone who has found peace with his life and golf has been and will continue to be a game, an avenue to get him where he is. Life is SO much bigger than just winning majors. Great perspective.

Sounds like he’s actually gained some perspective on the bigger picture. I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually starts playing better with this mindset.

I love this. He has enough money to never have to worry about it again and will probably start a family in the near future. It's cool to see him admit that he has bigger things to focus on other than golf at this stage. I'm sure we'd love to see him have crazy determination to win more majors but I like seeing this side as well.

He says he doesn't care if he doesn't win another Major. He also mentions that he has more important things in his life now than Golf.

“Nothing is going to change in my life whether I win a major or not,” said McIlroy ahead of the Irish Open. “I’d be disappointed if I didn’t but I don’t panic. It doesn’t keep me up at night.”

“Look, if I didn’t win another major for the rest of my career, nothing is going to change in my life whether I win one or not, but obviously I don’t feel like I’ll have fulfilled my potential.”

“But at the same time, you know, there’s other things in my life that are more important than golf….I’d be disappointed but again, it’s not going to change things. I don’t panic. It doesn’t keep me up at night.”

Thoughts?

I don't see anywhere that he said he doesn't care if he doesn't win another.

• I'd be disappointed
  • I don't feel like I've fulfilled my potential
  • I'd be disappointed (2nd time)

Sounds to me like he wants to, but realizes it's not the top priority.

Thoughts?

I support him. It's a very grounded perspective on how small golf is in the grand scheme of things. He's already made stupid money. he's already won a British.

I found his interview to be honest as well as having a great perspective on golf as well as life.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I personally found it strange because Golf is his job. And he's lucky to be on the very top of the people that can make a living doing it. Once you start being flippant about it, things tend to spiral downhill.

I wonder how his sponsors would react if he didn't win again.

Just my perspective.

I personally found it strange because Golf is his job. And he's lucky to be on the very top of the people that can make a living doing it. Once you start being flippant about it, things tend to spiral downhill.

Just my perspective.

So not having a cut throat attitude about winning a major again means he should just quit? I’m confused and just trying to understand your perspective on this. He said he’d be disappointed if he never won again and that it wouldn’t be fulfilling his potential. I’m not sure what else you’d rather him say.

He’s already won 4 majors and is already acting as host of tournaments all before 30. I think this attitude is more than logical. he’s certainly not saying he never wants to win again.

Just my perspective.
He's won 4 majors and a FedEx cup. He's very good at his job. He's an independent contractor, not employed by anybody.

I think it's a good dose of perspective, but he's also aware that the Major that carries a bit of extra weight would be at Augusta to complete the career Grand Slam, and he's...let's say he's got some scar tissue about that place. It doesn't mean he doesn't want to win another Major.

He's won 4 majors and a FedEx cup. He's very good at his job. He's an independent contractor, not employed by anybody.

You're only as good as your last win as a Pro Athlete. That's how I see it at least.

I guess it just seems to me when an athlete says what he says, they maybe lost the fire. Doesn't every athlete play to win? Every time they go out?

You're only as good as your last win as a Pro Athlete. That's how I see it at least.

I guess it just seems to me when an athlete says what he says, they maybe lost the fire. Doesn't every athlete play to win? Every time they go out?
He did win at Bay Hill this year. He's doing fine.

He did win at Bay Hill this year. He's doing fine.

I personally don't think he is. Someone who doesn't really care about being at the epitome of his profession anymore is a little concerning. Especially someone who had great success and is so young. He's got a lot of Golf years left. If he feels this way now, maybe he's done. That's why I found it strange.

You disagree. I get it. Neither of us know him personally. Just a difference of opinion.

Back