Aldila VS Proto 70S

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, so I have an Aldila VS Proto 70 S in my M1 440 head. I've been using it for a couple months now with no issues... until...

I just put a 70X into an adapter and took it to the range to try out. I also took the 70S and it rode to the course withe the adapter down and grip up in the golf bag.

I swapped the shafts on the range after a few hits with the 70x to compare and noticed a "loose" sound coming from the head that wasn't there when the 70X was installed. I double checked both slider weights and they were solidly installed and not moving at all. I hit the head once on the course and it just felt unstable so I opted for 3wd off the tee the rest of the day. When I got home, I removed the shaft and shook the head to make sure there's nothing loose inside it and it's quite as a mouse (if they're even quiet) without the shaft installed. I put the 70X back in and waggled and shook the club and the sound is not there with the 70X... only the 70S.

Anyway, after I narrowed the sound down to the 70S shaft, pulled the adapter to inspect the shaft and it looks fine. What say you? Is it possible that the bond between the adapter and the shaft was compromised in some way? Should i just reinstall and see how it goes? I don't see any signs that the shaft itself has any imperfections.

Last edited:
There’s obviously not anything rattling around and since the sound wasn’t there initially before trying your new shaft I would just pull the adapter and reinstall it. Just make sure you clean the old glue out of the tip to make sure you don’t end up with epoxy eventually coming loose and rattling after reinstalling the adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I'm leaning toward, too. Just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience with similar situations.

That sounds a lot like dried epoxy rattling inside the shaft. I have had that in a few clubs before. Did anything fall out when you took the adaptor off?

I had not thought of that on this. It wasn't really a "rattle" as much as a "squeak", I guess. I'll blow the grip off anyway to be sure there's nothing inside. Thanks.

So, it took a while, but this shaft finally showed what was going on. I moved on to the 70x a while back, but my boy had been hitting this 70s for a few weeks. Yesterday, in the middle of our round, he showed me this and asked me if it was a big deal.

Uh, yeah, I think it is.

Shout out to Aldila. I sent an email in with the picture and they're gonna cover it under warranty.

Attachments

• VSProto.jpg
    VSProto.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 0
Back