Golf Near Astoria OR, and Seattle WA

chefkritter

It's the most wonderful time of the year
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey All,
The family and I are doing a vacation from up the west coast up to Astoria and Seattle in the and am curious of some suggestions of courses to play in those areas. Already set to play Pacific Dunes when we are around there, but have a few other days in other areas and wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions.

Cheers & Hit Em Straight!

There aren't a ton of great 18 hole courses that far north up the coast. If you have time while driving between Bandon and Astoria, definitely play Florence Golf Links (formerly Sand Pines.) It's an absolutely fantastic track.

Gearhart Golf Links
is solid and nearby Astoria. No range (if I recall) but the 18th hole is an absolute beast.

Astoria CC is private but ok. However, it's not super ritzy or exclusive. So I bet they might let you out if you call and ask nicely and are flexible on time. Great driving range there too. A lot of the holes there are kind of duplicative but it's worth playing if you have time, already have played Gearhart, and can get on.

A little further south, Manzanita GC is a cute little 9-hole course.

Also, are you going to be playing around Portland at all? I have lots of suggestions there. No real insight about Seattle.

Dont think we will be in Portland other than just a few hours and that's downtownish area. We're doing a RV trip up from Monterrey Ca, to Seattle and then back down the coast and through the Redwoods. Trying to plan the golf where we are staying overnight for at least 1 night. I've got a round planned in Monterrey and the Bandon/Pacific Dunes so far. Since those are more well known I was hoping for some insight for the Seattle, & Astoria areas. Seattle has Chambers Bay and I'm not off that idea, just didnt know what else was around there. I appreciate the heads up on Gearhart, Astoria C.C., & Manzanita.

Dont think we will be in Portland other than just a few hours and that's downtownish area. We're doing a RV trip up from Monterrey Ca, to Seattle and then back down the coast and through the Redwoods. Trying to plan the golf where we are staying overnight for at least 1 night. I've got a round planned in Monterrey and the Bandon/Pacific Dunes so far. Since those are more well known I was hoping for some insight for the Seattle, & Astoria areas. Seattle has Chambers Bay and I'm not off that idea, just didnt know what else was around there. I appreciate the heads up on Gearhart, Astoria C.C., & Manzanita.

Just know that Chambers is one hell of a walk.

Chambers is really more Tacoma than Seattle. It is a fun track in my opinion but it is a brutal walk especially if it is warm.

DI appreciate the heads up on Gearhart, Astoria C.C., & Manzanita.

Sure thing! Let me know how you liked all the courses. Sounds like a great trip! Have a blast!

@BL and @chefkritter

Any luck getting onto Astoria CC? We're making a buddies trip in August to Gearhart and were wondering if there's a chance of playing Astoria too since we'll be right down the road. They appear to offer Reciprocals, but not with my club unfortunately.

Just played Gearhart and Astoria CC a couple of weeks ago and vastly preferred Astoria. Gearhart had just punched their greens and the weather was atrocious. Astoria is SUPER interesting architecturally speaking and in much better condition. Playing down bowling lanes with 40 foot dunes in some cases was a lot of fun. Got in at the CC via the Oregon Golf Association Tour, so no idea if it's hard to do for a random person or not...

Florence Oregon has has a pretty nice course. I played there last year.. Great prices too.

Gearhart, Oregon is a pretty old course unless it's been refurbished. I worked there during the summers in the mid/late 1960s as a basic grunt. . I met a few pga pros at the Gearhart/Seaside courses. Thing was, I wasn't a golfer back then. I didn't pay any attention who I looped for, as long as they tipped me well.

Seaside Oregon has a 9 hole course. I played there some years ago. I also worked there in the mid/late 1960s while in highschool..

I worked at both courses as a caddy, and anything else that needed to be done.

I know there are quite a few courses along hwy 101. If you see a "golf here" sign, stop and play.

We'll be in the Astoria area in mid July. I plan to play the area courses.

Last edited:
Chambers is a course you kinda have to play once but I think it’s very overrated. Chambers is more “majestic” but I’ve enjoyed the overall experience at Washington National, Olympic Course at Gold Mountain and The Home Course a lot and might head there first.

Gearhart. A very old and pleasant course to play. Gearhart is a few miles north of Seaside, a major coast town, not far south of Astoria.

Back