The evening before a round of golf

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
At this very moment it's the evening before my round of golf tomorrow morning and already I am mentally reminding myself of the things I need to remember in order to produce good shots. It's sort of like a check list of do's and don'ts. Does anyone besides me go through this sort of exercise the evening before a round of golf?

Absolutely! The night before a round my mind does the following:

- Remind myself, don’t try to kill the ball just swing smooth and easy

- Try to remember something that worked well last time playing or at the range

- I’m overthinking have a few drinks so I can sleep

- Damn I over drank need to sleep

- Can’t sleep because I’m thinking about the round

Wake up and play hung over...

At this very moment it's the evening before my round of golf tomorrow morning and already I am mentally reminding myself of the things I need to remember in order to produce good shots. It's sort of like a check list of do's and don'ts. Does anyone besides me go through this sort of exercise the evening before a round of golf?

Not just the night before a round. Many nights, I put myself to sleep "playing" a round in my head. I'll "hit" every shot from tee to green on the course I'm playing next or a random course if I don't have a round in sight.

I try not to because I won't sleep. The morning of on the way to the course then I will remind myself of what I need/want to do.

This is quite accurate lol. Typically if it's a round I want to play, I spend the entire evening overthinking about what was working last and trying to recreate it. I'd imagine the other post on here had it right...try to ignore it and wake up fresh with a new mindset on the day and how to prepare going forward.

Absolutely! The night before a round my mind does the following:

- Remind myself, don’t try to kill the ball just swing smooth and easy

- Try to remember something that worked well last time playing or at the range

- I’m overthinking have a few drinks so I can sleep

- Damn I over drank need to sleep

- Can’t sleep because I’m thinking about the round

Wake up and play hung over...

Only if I am playing in a tournament the next morning. Just make sure I have everything I need in my bag. Don't think about my game so much though. Don't want to psych myself out before it even begins.

I get excited the night before a planned round. I like to look at apps where I can look at and think through each hole. And then I try to put myself to sleep by imagining playing each hole. I don't really think about things like swing. I figure I got what I got for better or worse, and there no sense worrying about technique the night before. IDK, maybe I should. Nearly all of my ouch shots come from things I know about my game and somehow forget in the moment.

I do all the time. I'll go over previous rounds at the course I'm playing while putting together a plan based on what has worked well there and what hasn't. Picking spots to be more aggressive if need be and some too be more conservative.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Try to tell myself keep my tempo up. Keep it in the fairway. Get snacks and hydration ready for the round.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Where ya playing tomorrow @luvagoodshot? I've got a tournament at Lockport CC.

I try not to because I won't sleep. The morning of on the way to the course then I will remind myself of what I need/want to do.

Same here.

All I really do is start drinking water, if it's going to be hot and humid. Need to start the day before.

It's golf. I don't overthink it and I don't get worked up by it.

Night before I play, the round the next day is the last thing on my mind.

I play so much that I honestly don't even think about tomorrows round unless it is a tournament or otherwise special, new course ect.

If I have an event or something going on I'll sometimes game plan for the round otherwise I don't normally think about it. Sometimes though if I struggle going to sleep I'll walk through a round and it sometimes helps.

I don't play morning rounds. I'd rather sleep then spend the time with the wife and son. I'll think about the round driving to the course in the afternoon.

If it is an early tee time then the only thing I will do is make sure everything I need is in my bag and lately with the weather, make sure there are a couple of bottles of water in the fridge, otherwise it doesn't even cross my mind

I don't really think a whole lot about the round the night before unless I'm playing a tourney. Casual rounds are just that--casual for me. All the things everyone has mentioned already are things I think about driving to the course and while warming up.

Where ya playing tomorrow @luvagoodshot? I've got a tournament at Lockport CC.

Just over at the county Andy, I have a tee time at 10. Hope you have a good round at the Lockport CC. Take lots of extra balls with you and have a great round of golf

Last edited:
If I don't think of the things that produce bad shots for me then once the round begins and I start having bad shots that I know what I did wrong, then I wish I would have made a mental list before I got to the course of the simple things I know I should avoid to reduce the number of bad shots. When I do this I have noticed that the number of bad shots are reduced. I'd rather think about it before the bad shots begin rather than after.

Generally the evening after a round of golf I'm resting and getting hydrated to prepare for the next day's round of golf. Also, this...

Behold the golfer.
He riseth early in the morning
and disturbeth the whole household.
Mighty are his preparations.

He goeth forth full of hope
and when the day is spent,
he returneth smelling of strong drink
and the truth is not in him.

I don’t think about anything related to my upcoming round until I’m on the range warming up and usually forget most of it afterwards too

I do this before every round. If I've never played the course I'll look it up so I can get an idea of what to expect. Will get on here and see if anybody has posted about playing the course. Every other round before I play will wash the grips. Try to come up with one swing thought to carry with me through the round and try to get some sleep. If I am worried about my alarm clock going off there I'm up significantly earlier than I need to be. This has been my routine for years so I don't change it. Doesn't seem to affect my round.

You guys are just plain SICK! (Yeah, me too - approach #5 on the low side... don't over extend my back swing...)
The night before It's like counting sheep :)

Back