Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

First round in with these and I'm definitely happy with my purchase. It's cold and windy but was still seeing my old iron distances for the most part. Hit a couple smoked long irons. Definitely an addicting feeling. Can't wait to get out again with these.

Oh and I think I may have finally found a worthy successor to the A for awesome wedge that I loved in my i20s. Full swings and around the green it was like it's been in my bag for a while already. Pondering a set SW or just changing my layup target to whatever the AW distance ends up being for me. The AW will definitely be in my hands when I walk up to greens a lot more than with my Speedblades. A couple great chips today.

Love it dude. The A wedge is probably my favorite club of the set and I love using it. Nice to see you had success your first time out with them

Hate to double post but there should be a better picture of these on tapatalk
6b0415cc84320948298966b89fbd0453.jpg

Nice Philly!

Thanks guys. I'm super pumped. Gonna be fun having these in the bag. So glad I went for a shaft fitting. I never would have chosen the heavier KBS tours on my own.

I was wondering if anybody knows if these heads would accept a .370 tipped shaft. Reason why I was asking is I have a set of Project X95 flighted shafts that are .370 and looked on the Callaway site and could not find out what size the heads can take..

Going off memory here, but I believe they are .370.

I was wondering if anybody knows if these heads would accept a .370 tipped shaft. Reason why I was asking is I have a set of Project X95 flighted shafts that are .370 and looked on the Callaway site and could not find out what size the heads can take..

Going off memory here, but I believe they are .370.

JB is correct - they are .370 hosels... Was having a re-shafting discussion on these earlier today. Also, below is link with confirmation from Callaway.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/community/#/discussion/826/apex-cf-16-hosel-bore

Let my brother play with these today on the indoor sim. He was a pretty big fan, and had plenty of miss hits (he's a little rusty) that were much less penal than he's used to. By the end of the round he was hitting some really good 7 iron shots with these. Really surprised himself. I wouldn't be surprised to see a set of these in his bag this year.

Help!

Help!

Hello...new member to hackersparadise here. Looking for some help on my CF 16's. I am a 6 HDCP and played the same set of irons for about 15 years (Callaway X-14 Pro Series) before recently upgrading to the CF 16's. The forgiveness of these compared to my old set is incredible. My only concern is I am having major gapping issues once I transition from the CF (3-7) to the non-CF (8-AW). My distances are as follows:

3i - 210-215
4i - 200-205
5i - 190-195
6i - 180-185
7i - 170-175
8i - 150-154
9i - 135-139
PW - 120-124
AW - 105-110

My old set transitioned all the way through the set with 10 yard gaps where my 8i went 160, 9i 150, PW 140, AW 130.

Anyone else having issues with major gapping issues transitioning to non-CF irons? Should I have the lofts closed to get a more consistent gap?

The other thing I wanted to mention was I was professionally fitted 2 degrees up. I played my set a few rounds and couldn't believe how inconsistent I was. I went to Golfsmith to have the specs measured and the lie angle was wrong on every single club - ranging as far as 3 degrees flat to 1 club being 2 degrees upright. Very dissappointing given I spent $1300 on this set. Golfsmith bent the lie angle to be correct throughout the set but now I am wondering if the lofts are off on my lower irons.

Anyone else have issues with the lie angle and/or loft being off from what they ordered?

One final thing...how are people's distances into the wind? I feel like I am pulling 2 extra clubs into winds I would have pulled 1 extra club into with my old set? I feel like the ball is somewhat knuckling and being knocked down significantly on even purely struck balls into the wind.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

I continue to really enjoy this set. The more rounds and range sessions I put these through the confidence just grows and grows.

The only issue I have is a big gap between my PW and 9 iron. Everything else falls into place. I need to get it checked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP!!!

Not sure what the best course if action will be for you personally. I know a few are seeing similar, I'm just happy that I'm not one of them.

How long have you had them? Possibly just need a little more time to really make sure the gaps are what you think they are? It's an interesting conundrum.

I am not seeing the gapping issues either when transitioning from the CF to non CF clubs but like J said some on here are. The chance that the lofts are off is small but would probably be worth it to check. If lofts are correct and the gap issue remains after you have swung into them a bit maybe going 1* strong on 8i and .5* strong on the 9i might help even that gap out a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Hello...new member to hackersparadise here. Looking for some help on my CF 16's. I am a 6 HDCP and played the same set of irons for about 15 years (Callaway X-14 Pro Series) before recently upgrading to the CF 16's. The forgiveness of these compared to my old set is incredible. My only concern is I am having major gapping issues once I transition from the CF (3-7) to the non-CF (8-AW). My distances are as follows:

3i - 210-215
4i - 200-205
5i - 190-195
6i - 180-185
7i - 170-175
8i - 150-154
9i - 135-139
PW - 120-124
AW - 105-110

My old set transitioned all the way through the set with 10 yard gaps where my 8i went 160, 9i 150, PW 140, AW 130.

Anyone else having issues with major gapping issues transitioning to non-CF irons? Should I have the lofts closed to get a more consistent gap?

The other thing I wanted to mention was I was professionally fitted 2 degrees up. I played my set a few rounds and couldn't believe how inconsistent I was. I went to Golfsmith to have the specs measured and the lie angle was wrong on every single club - ranging as far as 3 degrees flat to 1 club being 2 degrees upright. Very dissappointing given I spent $1300 on this set. Golfsmith bent the lie angle to be correct throughout the set but now I am wondering if the lofts are off on my lower irons.

Anyone else have issues with the lie angle and/or loft being off from what they ordered?

One final thing...how are people's distances into the wind? I feel like I am pulling 2 extra clubs into winds I would have pulled 1 extra club into with my old set? I feel like the ball is somewhat knuckling and being knocked down significantly on even purely struck balls into the wind.

I'm not seeing the gapping issues that you are seeing (into the wind or otherwise), however the incorrect lie and loft on special orders seems to be prevalent. I had the same loft and lie issue you did, and had to have them fixed. I ordered my set direct from Callaway at 2 up & 1 strong, and not a single iron was correct (including the lofts), I would get the lofts checked also.

Dax

The gapping issues some are experiencing is the only concern I have about these. When I go for my fitting, if these are the irons I plan on buying I will ask to hit a couple consecutive irons at the bottom of the bag before buying (ie, if I hit the 7 iron during the fitting I'll also ask to try the 8). Don't know if this particular fitter will be able to provide this but it's something I will ask about.

I continue to really enjoy this set. The more rounds and range sessions I put these through the confidence just grows and grows.

The only issue I have is a big gap between my PW and 9 iron. Everything else falls into place. I need to get it checked out

I'm having my set checked this week for loft and lie. I'm curious to see where they fall. Our pro says he's seen a lot of sets way off. Not just Callaway, it's a industry wide issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I need to get mine checked as well since I was fitted for 2* up. I've noticed a little gapping issues as well. Mostly from the PW.

I need to get mine checked as well since I was fitted for 2* up. I've noticed a little gapping issues as well. Mostly from the PW.
Dropped mine off today will know Wednesday.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

These irons continue to impress. I was out for 9 after work and was able to hit the 7, 8, A, and S wedges, and they all freaking perform so well. There were a few A wedge shots off the toe, and even without the cup face, I was still getting close to the distance I was expecting. I was stopping all of my shots within a few feet of my pitch mark, and I'm not generally a high spin player. There were shots where I could feel that it was a bad shot (low on the face, out on the toe), but based on the shot shape and the result, you'd never have known. I have so much confidence in these clubs that it's not even funny.

Just got my shipping notice that mine are on their way! Hopefully they will be here before I leave Sunday for a trip to Phoenix. Would love to start breaking them in while I am there.

I need to hit these irons! They really appeal to me visually!

I need to hit these irons! They really appeal to me visually!

Just wait till you hit them the feel is amazing

How'd they turn out?
They didn't get to them yet. I play tomorrow night in league play. They said they'd have them done by then. Will advise tomorrow night.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

3i - 210-215
4i - 200-205
5i - 190-195
6i - 180-185
7i - 170-175
8i - 150-154
9i - 135-139
PW - 120-124
AW - 105-110

Regarding your wind question I've played in some brutal wind my last 3 rounds and these irons are unlike anything I've hit into the wind. Most irons seem to go up, up, and away whereas the CF16's cut through the wind with a nice piercing ball flight. Is there distance loss, yes but no where near what I would expect. The real benefit is the flighting, the ball just looks great in the air when flushed.

Saved for a rather long post/review. I've been keeping notes about these irons and have most of my review typed out, just need to put the finishing touches on it tonight and I'll have it up here

I cant wait to try these out outdoor finally. Kinda sad despite playing with thpers that have these ive taken like 2 swings

Back