I hate swing changes!!

F.N.G

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Just came on here to complain and whine about how bad going through a swing change sucks!!! Chunking shots, thin hits awful ball flights. All while telling yourself that it is good for you. I think swing changes are the like the nyquil of the golf world. At first it taste like **** but after a bit everything is better. Ugh.....

Ok rant over. I feel better now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat. It was going good for a while but now I'm all fowled up and can't play golf. I think I just need to push through it and I will be better off in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been at it for a year with my instructor -- it's like tough love but making progress.

What impedes my progress is golf forums and youtube.... lol

Don't listen to what they say in golf forums ... communicate with your instructor. If no improvement, make certain you are doing what he tells you to do... if it ain't working, tell him. If it still ain't working, start looking.

I've been through enough swing changes and it was not pretty. So I figured out for me, a mind change was a better option. I found out that I can play better golf by not being so technical and use more common sense instead.

Playing bad golf I'd worse than swing changes

I'm lucky to have taken my first lesson in the early 1970's and my last this spring, all with the same PGA Professional who has always taught to "swing your swing", so I have never had to go through swing changes. A tweak here and there, sure, but I've never been asked or even had it suggested I swing someone else's swing.

I was stuck at the low 80's from 79-83 for my last 10 ish rounds. So I felt it was time to go and have some advice from a pro. Turns out I need to get my hands higher and I regrip at the top and yank my downswing before I pause at the top of my back swing. So now I am working on changing all that and back to bad golf. I shot a 95 friday...... it was ugly. Right now I am stuck between my old swing and the new one and so nothing feels natural anymore. Hopefully it will iron out soon, but wow is it frustrating when I was shooting much better before I went and decided to get fixed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

It's tough but worth the grind, there will be bad shots, holes and even bad rounds but when you get it all together it's worth every the work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my first golf lesson last Friday :banana:
My instructor's observations were I had a weak grip, a little hip sway that he wants to eliminate and I'm a little OTT on the downswing.

One observation that instilled confidence in me was he picked me right away as having played cricket in a past life by my hip slide. He made no mention of the MB irons I was playing to my surprise. And a nice touch was he said I have the makings of a very good swing and he's looking forward to working with it.

So two rounds in and I'm trying to focus on just these few pointers...

I'm seeing a few iron shots off the toe and the occasional slice which I imagine is a result of being OTT and now combined with a stronger grip. Release?

Otherwise I stand over the ball a bit more confident now of making a decent strike off the club face.

Stand out's for me is how awkward using the correct grip was at first and how surprisingly quickly I seem to have settled with it. Still feels like I don't have a firm hold of the club TBH but it's working!. The other thing I just couldn't get over is just how difficult it is (for me at least) to keep your head perfectly still. He asked me several times late in the lesson how I thought I was doing in this regard and I was shocked to view the video and still see movement.

I had my first golf lesson last Friday :banana:
My instructor's observations were I had a weak grip, a little hip sway that he wants to eliminate and I'm a little OTT on the downswing.

One observation that instilled confidence in me was he picked me right away as having played cricket in a past life by my hip slide. He made no mention of the MB irons I was playing to my surprise. And a nice touch was he said I have the makings of a very good swing and he's looking forward to working with it.

So two rounds in and I'm trying to focus on just these few pointers...

I'm seeing a few iron shots off the toe and the occasional slice which I imagine is a result of being OTT and now combined with a stronger grip. Release?

Otherwise I stand over the ball a bit more confident now of making a decent strike off the club face.

Stand out's for me is how awkward using the correct grip was at first and how surprisingly quickly I seem to have settled with it. Still feels like I don't have a firm hold of the club TBH but it's working!. The other thing I just couldn't get over is just how difficult it is (for me at least) to keep your head perfectly still. He asked me several times late in the lesson how I thought I was doing in this regard and I was shocked to view the video and still see movement.

I know how hard it is to keep your head still! This what I'm working on right now... However, the reward will be great once you do keep your head still.

I know how hard it is to keep your head still! This what I'm working on right now... However, the reward will be great once you do keep your head still.

Thanks Yantropov, I will be sticking at it for sure. I am better at it if I focus on a specific spot... a dimple, mark etc and not just the ball generally.
Good luck and best wishes.

Your head doesn't need to remain perfectly still, that's unnatural. There will be some movement. That being said, you face should remain over the ball but the head can move.

Hopefully it way pay off in the long run.
After playing with a self taught swing that I got from watching tv, I went for some lessons last year. I had gotten a little off from what I thought I was doing and what the video shows.
It wasn't a huge change really, a posture tweak and a swing path refinement but it took me about a year to fully implement it, and that's with me getting to the course once a week.
While going through the changes, I would have good days and I would also have days I felt lost. On the course I would have good holes and then some where I lost it. I went back for some follow up lessons and most of them were really short, one phrase fixes as to something I had gotten off track on.
I'm trying to own my swing, meaning get to the point to where I can fix myself on the course if I get off track, and I think I'm getting there.
I post this to share my experience. It has taken me more time than I anticipated going in to fully implement these changes, and really they weren't what I would call a swing overhall, just some tweaks. At times it was frustrating when I wasn't getting it as quickly as I thought I should, but I would remind myself that it took tiger a year to fully own his swing when he changes it, and he's at it every day.

Yeah, a buddy of mine is about a 15-16 hdcp and he worked with an instructor we have all known since elementary school because he feels he isn't getting the most out of his game. He had him flatten his swing out a bit. Played Wednesday for the first time with the new swing, knowing that it would be a difficult day. He was drawing the heck out of the ball and needs to adjust for that. Of course, when he tried to play for a draw it went straight. He says he is going to stick with the new swing for at least a couple of months before deciding whether to go forward with it or revert back,

It's been two years since my swing change so I know how it feels. It's the golf equivalent of a root canal. Done in public.

You'll just have to soldier on and look at the positives. I think it will help for yourself to have a good understanding of the physics of the golf swing and what you find wrong with your swing and what you want to change.

It's like being an architect to someone who doesn't know what his dream house will look like. I can still do the house for you but the process will be much longer and will take more work.

You'll need to be totally sold on what you're trying to do to keep you going through these dark times.

Just console yourself with the prospect that when your new swing is good and consistent, a new, fitted club set is waiting for you. Assuming you have the budget.

Back