Help me understand shafts

Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
So in the RR thread JB said Take the time to talk about the equipment. Take the time to talk about True Temper's latest offerings. If you don't know things, ask questions, if you would like more info.

Well I don't know a lot about their latest shafts and honestly don't understand a lot of shaft talk. I went to their site and did the shaft fit and read about the shafts but what makes them better than the KBS shafts I have now and the Project X shafts I had once before. I also tried to find info about their woods shafts but can't seem to find the info. Thank you for the help.

Oddly enough I was on the TT site today as well. Just browsong its entire line.

I Think shafts are like club heads. There probably isn't one company that makes far superior performing shafts over another. They all have their own technical twists and methods they may use to highlight what's special about a particular shaft.

But it like club heads it's very personal, subjective to looks, brand locality and cost.
There are some great threads on here from UST and Project X evemts where knowledge came first hand from the experts.

I also have a question about TT shafts. I recently got a new set of Titleist 716 AP2 with the Dynamic Gold AMT S300 shafts. I am getting a new set of wedges soon, and am wondering if I should just order them with S300 or S400. I know the AMT is progressive weighted and the 9-PW are at the standard S300 weight, so I assume just match the wedges to that... But there isn't a ton of info on the AMT yet or what TT recommends to carry offer to wedges with...

also, taking my question a step further... Would going S400 (only few gram minor difference) lower ball flight on full wedge shots at all? How would this affect spin on full shots and shorter checking shots?

Thabks!!!

So in the RR thread JB said Take the time to talk about the equipment. Take the time to talk about True Temper's latest offerings. If you don't know things, ask questions, if you would like more info.

Well I don't know a lot about their latest shafts and honestly don't understand a lot of shaft talk. I went to their site and did the shaft fit and read about the shafts but what makes them better than the KBS shafts I have now and the Project X shafts I had once before. I also tried to find info about their woods shafts but can't seem to find the info. Thank you for the help.

I won't say better than, but I will tell you the advantage we have over KBS and that is that we can make variable wall shafts (also, we own and manufacture Project X). Where as they (and some other manufacturers) can only make a single wall thickness shaft we (and in the sake of honesty, Nippon) can move material around the shaft which allows us to some great things. Our reinforced tips, where we move material to the tip, provides increased stability and better ball flight control (Dynamic Gold, Project X). By being able to change wall thickness we can make shafts like AMT where even though the 3 iron weighs 112 and the PW weights 128, all the shafts will swingweight just like original Dynamic Gold. We can also make shafts like the "coming soon" PX LZ steel, where we reduce the stiffness in the midsection, or our Japan line of CPT shafts where we super backweight the shafts for more mass in the head and longer builds. Long story short, being able to make double or even triple wall tubes gives us drastically more freedom of design, to dial in exacting performance over those that can only make single wall tubes.

As far as graphite shafts go, we make a wide variety under both the Project X and Grafalloy brands, with shaft to suit almost every need. If you have a specific question about our graphite products feel free to ask, you can also check out the Project X or Grafalloy website for more info.

DB

I also have a question about TT shafts. I recently got a new set of Titleist 716 AP2 with the Dynamic Gold AMT S300 shafts. I am getting a new set of wedges soon, and am wondering if I should just order them with S300 or S400. I know the AMT is progressive weighted and the 9-PW are at the standard S300 weight, so I assume just match the wedges to that... But there isn't a ton of info on the AMT yet or what TT recommends to carry offer to wedges with...

also, taking my question a step further... Would going S400 (only few gram minor difference) lower ball flight on full wedge shots at all? How would this affect spin on full shots and shorter checking shots?

Thabks!!!

2012- The S400 will weigh slightly more (2 grams) than the S300 you have in your irons. The effect of going up to S400 will be almost entirely feel based, you won't see too drastic of a difference in the spin. I personally think you would be fine going with the S300.

DB

I freaking love it when Don drops knowledge bombs.

I won't say better than, but I will tell you the advantage we have over KBS and that is that we can make variable wall shafts (also, we own and manufacture Project X). Where as they (and some other manufacturers) can only make a single wall thickness shaft we (and in the sake of honesty, Nippon) can move material around the shaft which allows us to some great things. Our reinforced tips, where we move material to the tip, provides increased stability and better ball flight control (Dynamic Gold, Project X). By being able to change wall thickness we can make shafts like AMT where even though the 3 iron weighs 112 and the PW weights 128, all the shafts will swingweight just like original Dynamic Gold. We can also make shafts like the "coming soon" PX LZ steel, where we reduce the stiffness in the midsection, or our Japan line of CPT shafts where we super backweight the shafts for more mass in the head and longer builds. Long story short, being able to make double or even triple wall tubes gives us drastically more freedom of design, to dial in exacting performance over those that can only make single wall tubes.

As far as graphite shafts go, we make a wide variety under both the Project X and Grafalloy brands, with shaft to suit almost every need. If you have a specific question about our graphite products feel free to ask, you can also check out the Project X or Grafalloy website for more info.

DB
Thank you for breaking it down in terms I can understand. It sounds like there is a lot of science going on with the different walls. I had no idea about that at all.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

2012- The S400 will weigh slightly more (2 grams) than the S300 you have in your irons. The effect of going up to S400 will be almost entirely feel based, you won't see too drastic of a difference in the spin. I personally think you would be fine going with the S300.

DB

Awesome, thank you so much for your info!

PS... My Project X LZ Handcrafted is most amazing feeling/ performing shaft I have ever tried in driver. You guys rock!

Thanks for checking in, Don. It's great to hear that there is such amazing stuff that you can do with a shaft.

Its great to see Don in here explaining it in terms we can all understand. Thank you.

Love me some DB and the knowledge he brings when he drops by. Just another reason I have pxi shafts in my irons.

I need to get them in my d100 set. I've just been lazy. :D I think I'll go do the fitting and see what I'm set up with. That and the THP ProjectX Handcrafted shaft in my driver, and I think I'll be good to go for the RR.

Love me some DB and the knowledge he brings when he drops by. Just another reason I have pxi shafts in my irons.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back