How do you birdie?

In order, today's were 5', 6", 15'. All on par 5's.

Cool thread, I really should keep better track of how I get my birdies and how long the make was.

I don't get them too often but most have come from stick an approach shot within 4 ft. I did flop one in from 45 yards in a tournament that won me some cash.

Birdies are usually 10+ foot putts. Very rarely do I have an easy 2-3 footer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I make exactly two types of birdies. 1 foot tap ins, and chip ins. I can't sink a long putt for bird for gosh darn life.

Par from 7 feet? On it like comet. Bogie from 5 feet? Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Birdie uphill straight line 6 footer? No chance.

I seem to make most of my birdies from two putts on par 5s. Otherwise I seem to drain a fair share of 4-10 footers after wedge or short iron approaches. I rarely drain the looooong putt and I rarely chip in.

Short hitter so don't get many GIR, probably half mine are chip ins. Don't get many birdies either.

Pitching it close on par 5’s (I’m always near the green in 2) and sticking some tight irons/wedges on a few other holes — that’s most of the birds there. There’s the occasional chip in or long putt, (or two weeks ago I eagled 2 par 4s with my approaches!) but the vast majority of birdie or better is short putts. Had 7 of them Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside 20ft, I have a decent chance at it...or just missing it high side which I am getting sick of!...lol. I usually practice putt distance before the round at my Prox...then the 2-4ft coming back. My goal is speed dialed in very quickly (hopefully). My birds come from the stroke of the putter...that's were I have moved away from the aim mode & putt freely without fear, repeating the practice stroke

Last edited:
The 2 birdies today were 4 feet and 6 feet, both coming from being near the green in 2 on a par 5.

70/30 inside of 10 ft and outside of 10 ft.

Saving par is an entirely different story.

I would have to think that the large majority of mine are from putts 10 feet and in. Most of my birdies come from hitting close approach shots, or hitting a par 5 in 2 or getting close in 2 shots then chipping it close. Putting is not a strength at the moment, so making long putts is a bonus more than anything.

I'm pretty good when I rake it back and hit it a second time.

Both of my birds, yesterday, came inside of 6’. Wedges were on point.

One birdie yesterday and it was on the first hole, had a downhill 15-20’ putt with just a little right to left break. Put it right in the heart. Most of my birdie attempts yesterday were from outside of 10’ and I just barely missed most of them. One I left about 1 revolution short of the hole and a couple others just slid by...

I'm always a mix. I had 3 birdies yesterday. 2 were inside 10 ft. One was outside 15. And I think that's pretty normal for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I had two birdies yesterday and they were very different. The first came on a par five where I stuck a 6i approach to 20 feet. A very makeable eagle putt turned into a tap in birdie. The second came on a par three. A fat 6i from the tee where I had an uphill 25 footer left for birdie, I was leaking oil at that point and was trying to get it close = draino.

That was the first multiple birdie round of my comeback. Birdies have been scarce and they come in all different shapes and sizes. Golf is freaking hard, improvement can be so slow it not noticeable but if you keep grinding you will improve.

Small sample size (only 5 birdies in the last 2 months), but most come from mid-range putts: 11', 15', and 21'. I've also dropped one from 60' and holed a short pitch with a SW.

I am not getting my wedges or short irons close very often, but I have missed a couple of birdie putts inside 10' in the last 2 weeks. :confused2:

I'd say most of mine are inside 10'.

I'll drop a bomb once in a while but primarily under 10'.

Except for one 20' putt they (few that they are) are within 5' thanks to a wedge from within 75 yds. Actually I credit my wedge more than my putter.

Three out of my last five birdies have been 15-20 ft. putts from the fringe, and the other two were putts from just inside 10 feet. No kick-in birdies for me! lol

I ran in a 22 footer for birdie yesterday. I'd say mine are a fairly even mix of longish putts and good scoring-club play. I'm certainly working improving the latter.

Seems as of late it has to be within tap-in distance for me to make a birdie. :( I've missed so many opportunities the last couple of rounds ... from various distances, 3 feet & 30 feet. I'm not too worried about the long distance putts but it's the shorties that really annoy me when I don't make a few here & there.

Had 2 birdies today. Both 10-12fters. One from 18" on apron uphill and in. The other on the fringe right up next to the next cut uphill breaking left and in. What's awesome is these are exactly the types of putts I spent quite a bit of time practicing last Thursday.

It generally requires some divine intervention. Did have two birdie opportunities Friday, both Par 5s playing into a strong wind on the back 9. Had one 7 footer that I missed right and a 4 footer that I made. The 4 footer was the result 9 iron approach from a collection basin and over a large tree. I don't think I have ever hit a 9I better.

Back