How do you birdie?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
My last round produced two 3’ birdie putts. The round before I drained 2 outside of 10’. And during the member guest it was a mix of shorties and long. I feel I have a nice mix when it comes to making my birdies.

I wonder how others get their birdies. Are you getting it done close or making 120 feet worth of putts?

I’d guess about 75% of my birdies are from 10 feet and in. Trying to make the long ones leads to long comeback putts for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm definitely a get it close on the approach birdie maker. I rarely make long putts and find when I make some birdies in a round, my FIR and GIR are above normal.

I am more comfortable over a 15 footer than a 5 footer, but when the birdies come they seem to come in bunches going in from everywhere.

Last Sunday I had 4 looks from 6 to 25 ft and burned the edge on all of them, usually leaving a 3-5 ft come back for par (which I am 90% on making) the week before I had 5 birdies again from all over the place but everyone was center of the cup.

Same Putter, same stroke, different course, but so frustrating to not convert more often

My last round produced two 3’ birdie putts. The round before I drained 2 outside of 10’. And during the member guest it was a mix of shorties and long. I feel I have a nice mix when it comes to making my birdies.

I wonder how others get their birdies. Are you getting it done close or making 120 feet worth of putts?

Typically on par 5's they are inside of 10 ft. For the par 3's & 4's they are spread out a little further. The occasional chip in, but those are rare.

Typically it is on putts inside of 10 feet. My last round was an outlier as I drop two putts in excess of 25 feet and, other than a tap in, missed every birdie putt within 10 feet. Also have chipped in 6 times in the past 15 or so rounds. That is a very high rate for me.

Hope and prayer with the putter from 20'+

Inside 10' for sure. There is that 30' putt that I get lucky on but it's mostly close approach shots or up on Par 5's in two and lagging an eagle putt close to the hole.

I’m in a slump. Lip outs, edges, putts left just short. I need a slump buster.

Mine are usually in the 10-15’ range. Of course lately they usually lip out. My birdie the other day was a 20 yard chip over the bunker, one bounce and in the hole. Get lucky once in a while.

How do you birdie?
Answer: Not often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7' - 15' is the money zone for me. Close enough to have a shot but not so close that I'd feel terrible missing it and choke. Anything 4' - 6' I feel very uncomfortable with and anything inside of 3' for bird doesn't happen very often (outside of par-5's).

Last round: 5 feet, 2 feet, 2 put from 25 feet 2 feet, 6 feet
prior rounds:
11 feet
12 feet, 11 feet 6 feet
8 feet, 9 feet, 4 feet, 2 feet, < 1 foot
2 putt from 45 feet, 38 feet

haven't made a ton of putts as of late but I am a good putter (Game golf better than scratch strokes gained) so if i went back farther there would be plenty of bombs.

Pretty random distances, my last round with multiple birdies I had a 3' an 8' and the lucky 22 foot putt that dropped.

Usually pretty short on par 5’s and anything up to 30 feet.

Last few rounds had a few kick’ins a few from inside 10 feet, 1 from 10 to 20 feet and 2 from around 30 feet. Also a mixture of holes, par 5’s, short and long par 4’s, and a couple par 3’s.

10' and in for me, but realistically more like 5' and in. i don't make many bomb putts. and i never chip in.

Over the past few weeks I've made a five birdies (in about ten rounds). Made a couple of 5-6-7 footers, chipped in from 20 yards in the rough, had one tap-in of just a few inches and made one medium-long putt of maybe 20 feet.

That's about my usual mix, I don't hit it close very often so a) I don't make many birdies and b) most of the birdies I do make come from occasional long putts or chip-ins.

I remember one time many years ago I kept a tally. Over the course of like six months I'd made something like 8 birdies putting from the fringe and only 6 putting from on the green. Told my teaching pro about it and he was like, "That's because you're almost never on the green in regulation, are you?". He has a point.

When I hit it 15 feet and in are when I make the majority of mine. The only time I make bomb putts is when its for bogey or worse it seems!

What is this "birdie" you speak of? :struggle:

My last 3 birdies came on putts of 2, 15, and 40ish feet. The last was obviously good fortune more than anything and the first was on a par 5 where I got close in two and wedged it close. The middle would be one where I could reasonably give the illusion that I know what I'm doing out there.

Most of mine are pretty close range here lately, especially on the par 5's. Last round I had a couple birdie putts drop from outside of 20' though, those are always fun!

I can't recall one in a while.

A long, blind-luck putt.

Back