Rio Olympics - a mess, literally

Totally disgusting. I love the Olympics, but confess to turning it on and watching in either Summer or Winter as a fan. How in the hell did Brazil get the nod with these types of issues? I'm just as much of a cynic as the next guy, but wow, does this just boil down to international graft? Such a disappointment......

JM

Totally disgusting. I love the Olympics, but confess to turning it on and watching in either Summer or Winter as a fan. How in the hell did Brazil get the nod with these types of issues? I'm just as much of a cynic as the next guy, but wow, does this just boil down to international graft? Such a disappointment......

JM

I think you're starting to see what happens when a lot of the cities that are/could be in a position to host are walking away because of the IOC's demands. It's a shame really. I had a great time at the Olympics in London, and would love to go again.

Olympic golf team: "Oh no, these fairways haven't had an adequate amount of growing time."
Olympic rowing team: "Just stop..."

Unfortunately this doesn't surprise me at all and always thought it was a terrible idea to award Brazil an Olympics. It looks like the whole thing will be a
Sh"&$$show.

I foresee these olympics happening in London again. Not going to pull it off.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

No surprise here, the IOC as well as FIFA don't care what the cost is to those who host or participate. They only want their $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Australian officials are even suggesting there is minimal risk to our athletes if they take "common sense precautions"; swim with your mouth closed, don't ingest the water, shower immediately after events and ensure course's of the recommended antibiotics are taken!

The mind boggles if in this day and age that advice passes as common sense.

Australian officials are even suggesting there is minimal risk to our athletes if they take "common sense precautions"; swim with your mouth closed, don't ingest the water, shower immediately after events and ensure course's of the recommended antibiotics are taken!

PC answer

Just say the place is a dump and we aren't sending our athletes there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely horrible. Maybe Atlanta will be surpassed as the worst modern hosted games.

I mean the world cup showed how terrible Brazil is at organizing events like this so is anyone surprised?

That ghonnoherpesyphilitis is a pain. :D

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

When do they wind up making the call, if they do and I think that's doubtful, to send them somewhere else?

When do they wind up making the call, if they do and I think that's doubtful, to send them somewhere else?

Can they at this point? 6 months ago I'd have said it was possible, but we're 7 months out at this point. Even for the cities who have the infrastructure, that would be a tough feat to accomplish, and it's going to be expensive.

Can they at this point? 6 months ago I'd have said it was possible, but we're 7 months out at this point. Even for the cities who have the infrastructure, that would be a tough feat to accomplish, and it's going to be expensive.

In the US it could happen. Outside of that, I dont think its possible.
Sadly they wont do anything though.

I know they're bidding for 2024, but LA seems like it would be a good candidate. Southern CA has no shortage of sports venues, and you've got easy access to the coast for the water events.

I hope this ends up being a wake up call to the IOC - as long as the requirements are levied on cities as they are, places that actually have a chance of hosting an Olympic games well aren't going to bid unless they're pretty much already set up for them. Look at the disaster in Boston, where they pulled their bid. I think, outside of public transportation issues, that could have been a great location, but I don't want my city signing something saying they'll pay for any overruns, and have limited control over the entire process.

Agreed that they won't do anything; however, Chile, Uruguay, and Argentina have the infrastructure in place to host aquatic events (in swimmable / clean water).

The IOC sux and should have done something long ago. Having a wife and her family being from Brazil I want to be excited for the country and a chance at some economic success even if short term but this has been disgraceful. The lead up to the World Cup was filled with protests, controversy and construction issues that should have tipped off the IOC to be more proactive and on top,of their game.

i hope they can do something in the next several months to find a solution

Agreed that they won't do anything; however, Chile, Uruguay, and Argentina have the infrastructure in place to host aquatic events (in swimmable / clean water).

If I were those countries, I'd demand a king's ransom for the use of their facilities.

Indeed. Another reason they're probably not going to be moved.
If I were those countries, I'd demand a king's ransom for the use of their facilities.

This ought to make the rowing events interesting.

If they go through with them, I wonder what they'll do for the winning coxswain. When I did crew in college, we would throw the coxswain into the drink if we won.
This ought to make the rowing events interesting.

2016 Rio Olympics Thread

2016 Rio Olympics Thread

Between Zika virus worries, water cleanliness issues, questions about criminal elements and safety of both attendees and athletes, is anyone actually going to be at the Olympics?

The IOC has agreed to bar the Russian Track & Field team from competition at Rio in light of systemic and deep seated doping issues.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSt...af-decision-ban-russians-39955606?cid=abcn_fb

Note: Please limit the conversation about the athletes and competition, including who's in and who's out of competition, and how Rio is shaping up ahead of the games, etc. This is not the place to discuss geopolitical issues. Thanks in advance.

Add financial disaster at the Rio state level and this is becoming a joke. They are petitioning to get more money from an emergency fund of sort to pay for remaining work. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't happen

Add financial disaster at the Rio state level and this is becoming a joke. They are petitioning to get more money from an emergency fund of sort to pay for remaining work. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't happen

I just watched a thing on this on the news. That its still in really rough shape. Not good.

Back