murseman

Reaction score
Handicap
Good afternoon,
I am playing golf in earnest for the first time in my life. I have never been good but am seeing some improvements. Iwant to get away from my slazenger (dick's special several years ago) box set of clubs. I have acquired a couple used drivers that I hit better, but am looking for irons. There is a local person selling a Ping S59 set that (he states) has only been used once and they look brand new. Price is fair at $200 and they look like they would be ok for my height. I rarely get a bogey when I golf (but I have a blast and I am getting better). What are your guys' thoughts? Thanks.

It might be worth taking some swings with them, but the S59 aren't the most beginner friendly iron out there. If you're looking at $200, you might be able to find something that will give you a bit more help.

What does your iron ball flight look like?

I'd probably stay away from those regardless of price as they tend to be aimed at the low handicapper as per reviews online. Pings are also very user specific. There are small colored dots on the clubhead that correspond to lie angles that can be a very individual thing. The base lie angle is a black dot. That is a standard lie angle. If the color is not black, I would stay away even more so as that indicates that the lie angle is more customized to the user.

My best advice would be to go to a Golf shop like Golf Galaxy and ask them to try Super Game Improvement irons. Take your time and try as many as you can. Once you decide on which you like, you can always try to find them online. Sometimes they also have irons from two or three generations ago to try which can be found for much less than the newer ones.

I hit my short irons better than any other club. They tend to go high and roll forward a lot. I figured these might not be the best for me. I am trying not to spend a ton of money and branded clubs at a decent price were enticing. . I like the idea of hitting different clubs at a store.

Help with Clubs!

I hit my short irons better than any other club. They tend to go high and roll forward a lot. I figured these might not be the best for me. I am trying not to spend a ton of money and branded clubs at a decent price were enticing. . I like the idea of hitting different clubs at a store.

I think you’re getting some good advice from previous posts. A good used set of clubs that help you is were to start. If you’re like the rest of us it will not be long before you realize what you like and what you don’t like. You don’t want to spend a bunch of money and then decide you don’t like them. You might check around at golf galaxy or other big box stores. They may have used clubs where they give you a 30 or 90 day play ability guarantee. See something you like, hit it on their simulator, then try it at the course. And with the guarantee if you don’t like it you can take it back and get something different. Obviously double check all the fine print, but not a bad way to figure out what you like and don’t like. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent about 3 hours hitting all kinds of different clubs over a few days at Golf Galaxy, and really liked the older generation Cobra Fly-Zs. I got a set, 7i-GW, for a killer price on E-Bay from a reputable dealer. I think I paid just over $200 shipped. They were brand new, still in the wrapping.

I spent about 3 hours hitting all kinds of different clubs over a few days at Golf Galaxy, and really liked the older generation Cobra Fly-Zs. I got a set, 7i-GW, for a killer price on E-Bay from a reputable dealer. I think I paid just over $200 shipped. They were brand new, still in the wrapping.

Another great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd probably stay away from those regardless of price as they tend to be aimed at the low handicapper as per reviews online. Pings are also very user specific. There are small colored dots on the clubhead that correspond to lie angles that can be a very individual thing. The base lie angle is a black dot. That is a standard lie angle. If the color is not black, I would stay away even more so as that indicates that the lie angle is more customized to the user.

My best advice would be to go to a Golf shop like Golf Galaxy and ask them to try Super Game Improvement irons. Take your time and try as many as you can. Once you decide on which you like, you can always try to find them online. Sometimes they also have irons from two or three generations ago to try which can be found for much less than the newer ones.

There's nothing that makes PING more "user specific" - they just tell you what they are. Someone could pick up my clubs and they'd have no idea that they were 2 degrees flat since they don't have any markings on them. Same as any other club - if the lie angle fits you, it fits you. If not, you have to get it adjusted.

There's nothing that makes PING more "user specific" - they just tell you what they are. Someone could pick up my clubs and they'd have no idea that they were 2 degrees flat since they don't have any markings on them. Same as any other club - if the lie angle fits you, it fits you. If not, you have to get it adjusted.

Don't Pings come in different lie angles though? Where as most other clubs only come in one unless you get it adjusted after the fact? Isn't that what the different color dots are?

If you can give them a shot in the shop and like them, the last couple Callaway GI releases (Steelhead, XR) can be had pretty cheap on Callaway's preowned site. There's no shortage of great clubs that will give a new golfer some help out there. My suggestion would be to go with the ones you feel like you "click" with immediately.

Don't Pings come in different lie angles though? Where as most other clubs only come in one unless you get it adjusted after the fact? Isn't that what the different color dots are?

You can order custom lengths and lies from any manufacturer.

The cobra's as mentioned earlier and Adams clubs can be had on the cheap and are supposedly very good.

I'm not explaining myself effectively. Never mind.

PING does not do anything wildly different than other manufacturers, save for some nuances having to do with dot color, length, and actual lie angle adjustment. The clubs are bent, and the dots are colored in. That's why there is a small notch on the hosel, to facilitate bending. The one difference is they may have a few starting casts for large changes, but I think some of the other companies that make cast heads do the same thing to facilitate large changes from "standard" lie.

PING does not do anything wildly different than other manufacturers, save for some nuances having to do with dot color, length, and actual lie angle adjustment. The clubs are bent, and the dots are colored in. That's why there is a small notch on the hosel, to facilitate bending. The one difference is they may have a few starting casts for large changes, but I think some of the other companies that make cast heads do the same thing to facilitate large changes from "standard" lie.

I guess my point was that someone who doesn't know this at all may buy clubs that are completely wrong for them without even knowing it.

Can anyone adjust to a completely different lie angle, or do certain swings lend themselves to that? For a newbie looking for a decent starter set is that even something to consider? I'm seriously asking. Not being coy.

I guess my point was that someone who doesn't know this at all may buy clubs that are completely wrong for them without even knowing it.

Can anyone adjust to a completely different lie angle, or do certain swings lend themselves to that? For a newbie looking for a decent starter set is that even something to consider? I'm seriously asking. Not being coy.

As long as it's in the ballpark, probably not something to really worry about, unless someone is way taller/shorter than average. Combination of swing and physiology I think. I'm short, with relatively long arms for my height, so I'm in a flat setup, even when I've had a more upright swing. I think within the realm of most adjustments (+2 to -2), people will fit into them pretty evenly from what I've seen, so "standard" might not even be likely to be the right fit.

That said, Anything that's not crazy far off is pretty playable, in my experience. I've had some really good rounds with rental sets that were far more upright than what I play.

Dear NewGolfr

Buy them and then buy some others.

Your Friend,
Club Ho

Good advice has been given. Best of luck with whichever clubs you end up with.

As long as it's in the ballpark, probably not something to really worry about, unless someone is way taller/shorter than average. Combination of swing and physiology I think. I'm short, with relatively long arms for my height, so I'm in a flat setup, even when I've had a more upright swing. I think within the realm of most adjustments (+2 to -2), people will fit into them pretty evenly from what I've seen, so "standard" might not even be likely to be the right fit.

That said, Anything that's not crazy far off is pretty playable, in my experience. I've had some really good rounds with rental sets that were far more upright than what I play.

Ahhhh okay! Got it!! Appreciate the explanation.

If you go black dot and you’re reasonably average in height you won’t go far wrong.

Back