The 2015-16 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come New Year's Eve, 4PM EST, do you plan on turning on the TV and further feeding the very leviathan your post rails against?
I do. I don't think it takes an act of cognitive dissonance to support ones alma mater while holding the opinion that the system is flawed - horribly skewed against the student athlete - and needs to be fixed. I'm fine with the leviathan, but the leviathan needs to make sure its charges are appropriately, and fairly, taken care of.

I do. I don't think it takes an act of cognitive dissonance to support ones alma mater while holding the opinion that the system is flawed - horribly skewed against the student athlete - and needs to be fixed. I'm fine with the leviathan, but the leviathan needs to make sure its charges are appropriately, and fairly, taken care of.

Honest question - if this were happening to a baseball player who transferred from Miami to Florida State would this even be on your radar?

Honest question - if this were happening to a baseball player who transferred from Miami to Florida State would this even be on your radar?
No. Which is why I said above that unfair rules typically change due to the fact that someone got bit in the arse by it and decided to fight it. I make no bones about the fact that I'm biased in the matter, but I'm pretty confident I'd feel the same way about the rule* if it was another sport and involved an athlete not attending OU.

*It's crap.

No. Which is why I said above that unfair rules typically change due to the fact that someone got bit in the arse by it and decided to fight it. I make no bones about the fact that I'm biased in the matter, but I'm pretty confident I'd feel the same way about the rule* if it was another sport and involved an athlete not attending OU.

*It's crap.

On the transfer rule I would tend to agree, to a point. But if you play as a freshman, even as a walk-on, you have used a year of eligibility. On that point I agree with the leviathan. Otherwise you would introduce the paradigm of the five-year starter - not an improvement.

On the transfer rule I would tend to agree, to a point. But if you play as a freshman, even as a walk-on, you have used a year of eligibility. On that point I agree with the leviathan. Otherwise you would introduce the paradigm of the five-year starter - not an improvement.

No one is arguing about the freshman year, its that he lost the sophomore year and was not able to use his redshirt for it.

Not arguing that. What is unfair is the loss of a year simply because he transferred and wasn't granted an exemption that was within the ability of his ex-coach to grant. So even though he didn't play on 2014, he lost a year, so he had 4 years to play 3.

No one is arguing about the freshman year, its that he lost the sophomore year and was not able to use his redshirt for it.

After your freshman year you have to be granted a hardship waiver to get redshirt status. Not getting a release from your prior school doesn't qualify one for hardship status. If it did, it would effectively render the transfer penalty meaningless.

After your freshman year you have to be granted a hardship waiver to get redshirt status. Not getting a release from your prior school doesn't qualify one for hardship status. If it did, it would effectively render the transfer penalty meaningless.

Sounds good. I'm wrong in my feelings and opinion. I'll go talk golf now.

Sort of football
0f0debc53f7bd91e386931011fa24cec.jpg

IMO, the redshirt argument is irrelevant. The point is the transfer penalty is crap under certain circumstances. He shouldn't have lost a year, period. He was never recruited. He never received a scholarship. He was forced to sit a year because a team he walked onto wanted to punish him for leaving when the relationship didn't work out between them.

Texas Tech may have invested in Mayfield with training, coaching, and tutoring, but failed to invest in him with the two things the NCAA says matter most: a scholarship and as little recruiting effort as two phone calls. That should not just grant Mayfield the opportunity to ask Texas Tech’s permission to get a scholarship and play somewhere else. It should grant him complete freedom to do so without Texas Tech having any say whatsoever.

And with that, I've about exhausted all of my energy on this issue as well. I can almost guarantee the NCAA will revise this crap rule in the nearish future, but it'll be too late for Baker Mayfield unfortunately. In the meantime, IMO, two things will remain constant. 1) This rule is crap, and 2) Kliff is a sh*tweasel.

Holy crap the Texas A&M dumpster fire is blazing

Opinion of a rule is fine, but that rule is a fine line saving college football from a silly season like no other. Could you imagine the lunacy that would ensue if kids were able to swap schools at the drop of a hat? Love it, hate it, whatever you wish, but the alternative would be insane.

I agree with you for scholarship players. But I don't think schools should have any control at all over walk on's. These guys don't even get training table meals much less scholarship money. Think of it this way: Texas Tech did not give the kid a year of free education but they get to prevent him from having a free year of education from another school. I don't mean to be overly dramatic but that's borderline un-American.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Holy crap the Texas A&M dumpster fire is blazing

As a Texas fan I'm enjoying every bit of what is going down in college station over the last 24 hrs. Heck, the last week. Starting QB is transferring, now the QB proto jay in wait is transferring and on news of that a 2016 WR commit decommitted today. Three 5 star projects out. They now have 1 QB on the roster. What is going on........

As a Texas fan I'm enjoying every bit of what is going down in college station over the last 24 hrs. Heck, the last week. Starting QB is transferring, now the QB proto jay in wait is transferring and on news of that a 2016 WR commit decommitted today. Three 5 star projects out. They now have 1 QB on the roster. What is going on........
Wait, I've been out on the town, did he decide to leave since the afternoon "personal issue" announcement?

Wait, I've been out on the town, did he decide to leave since the afternoon "personal issue" announcement?

All reports say he's done at A&M and wants to concentrate on baseball. This is from Agg people. We shall see.

All reports say he's done at A&M and wants to concentrate on baseball. This is from Agg people. We shall see.

As he should. Way more $$ in baseball and he would have been a first round draft pick

Wow. Sumlin has made the penthouse to outhouse trip in record time of that is true.

Love it!

Murray is out. Now leaves just 1 QB on the team with no current 2016 QB recruit on the list. 3 QB's have now transferred out of A&M in the last year. Is Sumlin just trying to get A&M to fire him so he can take his $$$ and go?

One big Aggie mess and I'm enjoying it all.

Murray is out. Now leaves just 1 QB on the team with no current 2016 QB recruit on the list. 3 QB's have now transferred out of A&M in the last year. Is Sumlin just trying to get A&M to fire him so he can take his $$$ and go?

One big Aggie mess and I'm enjoying it all.

I just home Allen to OU comes true.

I just home Allen to OU comes true.

Friend in Allen has people over tonight, one set is a good friend of Murrays. Says it's a matter of time before he goes to UT. Now whether that's to play football or baseball is probably the question. I don't want him f'ing up Buechele or Ehlinger not coming due to that.

Rumors that A&M are now negotiating with Sumlin to agree on a buyout.

Rumors that A&M are now negotiating with Sumlin to agree on a buyout.

Hope they don't come calling on Herman

Hope they don't come calling on Herman

He's not leaving right now esp. after the contract extension he accepted a month ago. Next year might be a different story. Funny how contracts mean nothing anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back