Losing 10-15yds with JPXF

bk711

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, I'm new to the website! I'm a frequent WRX forum member but been on Hackers Paradise for a few days and love the input I've been reading! So, to the point.. I just recently got the 900F irons in TT XP95 shafts, previously gamed the 716 TMBs. In the TMBs, I had the PX5.5 shafts and hit the ball quite well on a good trajectory but just wanted something new and to add some distance. I couldn't get to a bay to hit the 900Fs with different shafts before I purchased because I was scrolling through EBay and put a bid in for the 900Fs for $480 and not really thinking I had a chance to get them... well I won the bid. Now, I'm hating golf, I'm hitting moon balls and losing so much distance with these irons when I thought I should be gaining some distance. My swing speed with 6i is around 86-88, usually carry a 6i, 155-165. Now I can barely get it 150. I have a short backswing with a very aggressive attack, can a shaft make me lose that much yardage or is it just me? I've been told to try the PX 6.0 or DG S300s. Sorry for the long post but I'm so frustrated and just looking for a little help. Thanks a lot!

You’re likely spinning the ball to death with the XP95s. With your swing speed there’s probably a couple dozen shafts you could put on those irons and get your distance back.

You’re likely spinning the ball to death with the XP95s. With your swing speed there’s probably a couple dozen shafts you could put on those irons and get your distance back.

This may be a dumb question, but will spin affect carry distance?

Wow. I've always looked at the spin rate as how much it will spin when it hits the green. That's embarrassing lol, I should of known that playing this game for 10+ years now but I havent owned that many sets and looked into my numbers until lately.

Could be that you're launching it both high and with a ton of spin and losing distance.

Do you hit a high ball to begin with? I'd imagine so based on those shaft selections.

The JPX 900 Forged are considered a lowing spinning iron head according to all the testing results I saw. As others have stated, good chance the shaft is causing your issues. I gamed the 900 Forged exclusively for about a year and a half and hit them the same distance as all of the other cavity back forged sets I have owned.

Could be that you're launching it both high and with a ton of spin and losing distance.

Do you hit a high ball to begin with? I'd imagine so based on those shaft selections.

Yeah, I normally have a higher trajectory than most and with these XP95s, especially in the scoring irons.. the ball is really getting up there. I'm just so frustrated because I'm hitting them so solid, only to see them come up a club, club and a half short of the pin/green.

The JPX 900 Forged are considered a lowing spinning iron head according to all the testing results I saw. As others have stated, good chance the shaft is causing your issues. I gamed the 900 Forged exclusively for about a year and a half and hit them the same distance as all of the other cavity back forged sets I have owned.

So lower the spin, the more distance you should be getting?
Higher the spin, less distance?

Yeah, I normally have a higher trajectory than most and with these XP95s, especially in the scoring irons.. the ball is really getting up there. I'm just so frustrated because I'm hitting them so solid, only to see them come up a club, club and a half short of the pin/green.

Yeah, could be a launch/spin combo that's getting you. I've seen the opposite moving to what should be a shorter club compared to the Apex I had before - I think I'm getting more favorable launch conditions - still enough spin into greens, as far as I can tell.

Might be worth heading to a store and trying the 900F with one of those shafts out of the fitting cart just to see if it's the shaft.

Not necessarily. Generally, lower spinning is a little lower launching as well. Spin helps get and keep the ball airborn.

Yeah, could be a launch/spin combo that's getting you. I've seen the opposite moving to what should be a shorter club compared to the Apex I had before - I think I'm getting more favorable launch conditions - still enough spin into greens, as far as I can tell.

Might be worth heading to a store and trying the 900F with one of those shafts out of the fitting cart just to see if it's the shaft.

I definitely will, I really appreciate your help man.

Possibly, but there are a lot of technical variables in that which most of us would be best to avoid. I think you can definitely say though that if a shaft is either too light/soft or too heavy/stout then you’ll lose distance. The XP95s are almost certainly too light and whippy for you.

If you’re not overly obsessed with shaft details like many of us here and just want to keep it simple, get a used set of KBS Tour R+ shafts in the bay for like a hundred bucks at most and be done with it.

Back