Condition of the FW's

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
What's the condition of the FW's at the last course you played? Because of the drought we have been having in my area, the FW's are really dry and hard at the last course I played. It's good for someone like me who is not a long hitter because of all the extra roll after carry I was getting. Several times it was too much roll out.

Gordon Lakes looks great, but I think it goes without saying that the CSRA is good ground for golf courses.

Two months ago they were hard and dry and I was loving it because of all the rollout. Then the rain came and it turn very soft and lush and drives were 30 or so yards shorter. It is a pretty good mixture right now if only the course had the maintenance budget to cut them more than once or twice a week. Yesterday, they played more like a first cut of rough than a fairway.

Hard to say since I was rarely in them. :banghead:

Seriously though, ours were in very good shape.

Perfect, but then again it was at Pinehurst #2.

Havent been out locally yet, and I know its been a dry 10 days or so, but with the CLub Championship this weekend my guess is they are plenty green.

My course was pretty decent in the fairways, a little hard but I am not complaining about any roll out. If you went off in spots it was very dead looking, but not unplayable. I focus on that because I don't hit as many fairways.

My courses fairways, rough, and greens always seem to be in above average shape. Lack of rain here though has been starting to show recently. Pretty dry out there.

so far been withstanding the dry spell pretty good. But if things don't begin to change soon we will be playing desert golf in NJ. I tell ya....last year was a good year as not only did we have a lot of rain but it also came in a very timely manor. many times at nights and during the week. I recall it one of the best years ever as for greenery on the courses in my county and also since a lot of the rains were at nights it left a ton of golf time to play without rain. So while im hoping for some rains I want my cake and eat it too by having them come plentiful but at the correct times only....lol

My course's FWs are in very good shape right now. Club Championship is next weekend so our Superintendent is working really hard to get the course in tip-top shape.

My home course has been fantastic. Grounds crew has done an amazing job despite the drought. Everything off the fairway is kindling, but that's not unexpected. My home course truly has the the best fairways I've ever played on.

Both River Island and Three Ridges are in prime condition. But, we have been getting regular rain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Almost always great on LI, we have plenty of water, it's only the really bad droughts that cause bad FW's.

Fairways were great. Greens could have been better.

Fairways are firm but still look fairly green

The first cut of rough is looking a bit yellow at the moment as it was cut and then we didn't have any rain for a number of weeks so have dried out quite a bit

Still very playable though and I am enjoying the extra distance that I am getting - although I nearly put a ball in a pond that was over 320yds from the tee last weekend, was walking down the fairway looking for my ball to find it sat right on the edge of the hazard and if it had been half a yard further left it would have been in it. Normally I am well short of that pond unless we are playing winter tees that are about 40-50yds forward of the regular tees

Greens have suffered a bit more, to the point that the automatic irrigation system was turned off and the greenkeeping staff were hand watering them to keep the moisture levels consistenct across the whole of the putting surface as certain areas had dried out more than others depending on the shade coverage they had

Usually in terrible shape. More like the ball is teed up slightly, which is great for the person who flips at the ball or sweeps it. Someone who goes down after it, not a fan of catching the ball high on the face and the ball going nowhere from a fairway lie.

Amazing shape. This particular course is typically in great shape though.

The recent rains have allowed the rough to get a bit punitive though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Granted I play at some pretty cheap courses but overall the fairways have been pretty good. The greens have been a different matter. Some are just now beginning to resemble a putting surface, others are a month away from being up to par.

Most of the par 4s and 5s today you could barely tell where the fairway left off and the rough began. It wasn't because the rough was too short. The fairways, even after just cut, look "dimpled" or like a waffle iron. The ball sits down in these little depressions almost like being in light rough. Plenty of green grass, just too long! As a result little roll.

Indian Hill, Chapman KS fairways are good right now, the zoysia can take the heat. Get outside the fairway and it is HARD and will roll a long ways. The problem with that is you can get some nasty bounces the wrong way.

Firm and fast.They are blue grass which holds up to the heat a little better then bent I think. Good roll out but still taking divots, mostly green but a little brown on high spots but honestly they are playing great. Greens a bit soft but the have been rolling them as Sr City is this week and next with course championship next weekend, well on their way to playing a decent speed.

Probably about 2/3 of them were very dry/hard pan fairway's with about a third of them being better, not quite as bad but not green either. The greens were still in very good shape though!

Home course fairways are excellent, just the right amount of give.

Greens were recently sanded but putting fast and true just the same. Some patches in varying state of repair but overall I'd say conditions are very good.

Every single part of our course was rock hard last time out. The fairways rolled a bunch and the greens were so hard, it was virtually impossible to stop a ball.

My club is in primo shape right now...loving it

it's been hot and parched here too, hotter and drier in June/July so far than some of our bad Augusts. Monday I had a tournament at one of the most exclusive private clubs around here and their Zoysia were absolutely PERFECT! Their greens were really beat up and hard though so I'm a little concerned they might not be ready when they host a Web.com event (Price Cutter CC) in less than 2 weeks. Wednesday I played one of our cheaper public courses and their Bermuda fairways were in surprisingly decent shape. There had a few discolored yellowish patches. Small blocks that looked like they may have been over seeded or repaired with a less heat tolerant variant? But even those patches played extremely well, exactly the same as the greener areas. Surprisingly the greens on the public track were MUCH better in every regard compared to the course prepping for the Web.com event later this month.

Back