Golfing with my wife.

One of the best times I had recently was playing 9 holes with my wife at Peak 'n Peak (western NY) resort on Halloween weekend. I wasn't planning on playing - Laura planned this as a fun weekend getaway & tour of local vineyards, but asked if I was taking my clubs. I hadn't planned on it & said I didn't want to play alone, and was shocked when she offered to play. It had been around 20 years since the last time we played together, and at least 10 since she had played at all.

We got to the hotel on Friday afternoon & I called the golf course (thinking "no way will we be able to get out"). Turns out there was absolutely no one on the course because 1) they were closing for the year on Sunday; 2) the weather forecast was totally sh*t; 3) it was too late to get in 18.

It was such an amazing feeling to have a quality golf course all to ourselves - no pressure for her to hit good shots or keep up a certain pace. The weather was awesome (70 degrees - the crap weather came in later that night).

Couldn't golf the next day but hit a ton of wineries & then a local brewery (Southern Tier). Fantastic time!

I sure hope we can continue to play golf together, but it's gonna be hard to top this one perfect weekend!

6nD6xgSh.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I introduced my wife to golf about 15 years ago and she absolutely hated it.
A couple of years later, I tried again and she fell in love with the game.
She is now as much of a golf addict as I am and maybe even more.
She holds an 18 handicap at this time and is should be going down over the next couple of months if she keeps playing like she is right now.
She loves the game and always wants to go out and play, but she also knows I need some "guy" time as well, so I am lucky enough to be able to play twice as much as a lot of guys.

We played the Bear Trap a couple of years ago and now she is talking about maybe going back over Thanksgiving because she wants another crack at it. Yea baby !

BearTrap.jpg

When people ask me if my wife plays, my stock answer is, "No! And I'd like to keep it that way!" Golf wouldn't be an escape if she played, too.

Just kidding. Tried to get her interested years ago and she never took to it.

We're both retired. After we built the house (northern Wisconsin) we decided to get a 5th wheel and head south to get a couple of months less winter. (At that time we didn't play golf.

Now all I hear about is state parks and RV parks that have golf courses near by. Life is good.

Dave that sounds great. I am older, not yet retired, but kids are mostly out of the house some time. Now hopefully we get get rid of constant house projects to enjoy more golf. Just finished remodeling 1st floor bathroom.

I’d be happy if my wife played but I am a firm believer that a man shouldn’t teach his wife or SO to drive or play golf. The driving part is universally outdated, the golfing part is not.

I’ll pay for lessons if she shows any interest (none in the past).

This is a great thread. I'd be happy to golf with a husband.

Presuming I ever find one. :laughing:

Oh there is So... Much... Here :)
First the fun reply "A Husband" any husband ? NO, not me as I'm probably old enough to be your grand father ?.

Second, "presuming..." Be careful with you wish for. Seriously, I suspect that if you are this involved in golf, a husband or significant other is only a matter of time.

PS I know I have old guy attitudes but please don't burn me too badly for them ;-).

Oh there is So... Much... Here :)
First the fun reply "A Husband" any husband ? NO, not me as I'm probably old enough to be your grand father .

Second, "presuming..." Be careful with you wish for. Seriously, I suspect that if you are this involved in golf, a husband or significant other is only a matter of time.

PS I know I have old guy attitudes but please don't burn me too badly for them ;-).

Oh I was just making fun of myself. It’s perfectly okay to make fun of me too!

Alas to be 46 in the retirement community lol! There’s not a lot of folks in my dating pool, seeing as I’m the youngster around here!

Great post! My wife will play every once in awhile she just don’t understand why she can’t hit it straight and long every time? �� told her honey we would all like to be able to do that.

I have been "playing" golf for probably 20 years. By playing I mean I played between 4-8 rounds a year. Two years ago we moved into our "dream" home w/ a lake in our back yard and a country club golf course in our front yard. I then been rabid about golf and getting better. I currently play 2-3 rounds a week and hit balls another couple nights. I am super competitive and hate being bad at anything. I enjoy golf because it is the most challenging thing I have ever done. My wife decided to take up golf this year after never having played a single round in her life. I decided that me teaching her was a terrible idea as #1 I'm self taught and #2 I prefer not sleeping on the couch. There is a lady in her late 70's who at one time won the womens club championship like 30 straight years at our club. She's super nice and patient so she gladly accepted my wife for lessons. She refused to take any money for doing it so I'm always sure to help her out if she needs anything done at her house. It also helped that a guy I play w/ wife started at the same time so they took the lessons together. My wife has played her first 9 hole rounds now although we have yet to keep score. I give her absolutely no golf advise, she just wanted me to teach her etiquette before she went out w/ the girls. My wife hit a couple drives around 160-170 last night and she was ecstatic. She is also completely capable of whiffing still! Anyway, she has just started and we are enjoying it!

My wife doesn't golf (yet), but every once in a while she'll come along and drive the power cart. I really enjoy her company and I find it's an enjoyable, relaxing round.

I'm new to the scene. I have played 15 rounds since buying a set of starter clubs in Aug 2017. Played with each of 3 sons in 3 different states, and recently my wife has offered to ride along with me. She is super supportive, and says that she would like to try golfing.
I've suggested lessons, but not pushed at all. She just took me for 18 today! She's my chauffeur, and wipes my clubs off after every stroke.
It is a pleasure to go with my wife!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back