Golfing with my wife.

Dave G

Reaction score
Handicap
28.2 USGA
Golfing with my wife.

Of the 70+ 9 hole rounds I've been able to play so far this year at least 60 have been with my wife. She's improving at a slower rate than I am but she is not at all athletic so I didn't expect her to Excell at this - but she is.

I have to say that her progress compared to other women at our club is outstanding! She's only been at this for a year and she is driving 150, her irons are still work in progress, but her chipping and putting is competitive with mine.

I love our practice time together. She was reluctant at first but after finding out that it wasn't just driving and that she could also practice chip, pitch and putt she fell in love with it. Now that she's been practicing, I can't tell you how much I love seeing the look on her face when she lags a 30' putt 6" from the hole. Or holes a 15 footer.

Guys, get your wives out on the course! Buy her some instructions, slow down your game a bit and enjoy your time with your wife. It will become an activity that you both can share and enjoy for the rest of your lives.

My wife and I play most weekends. Usually 9 holes plus lunch after. Cool that you guys are able to get out so often - including practice!

My wife and I play most weekends. Usually 9 holes plus lunch after. Cool that you guys are able to get out so often - including practice!

Retirement dating :) my wife refers to it as our dates. Some days she actually pushes me to go out and play. I'm loving it!

I noticed an older couple that has to be in their early 80's playing every day when I was on the mends sitting in the parking lot watching all the golfers pass through. They usually walked 9 holes on this hilly course and always gave me a friendly hello or wave. I would say that the gentleman was probably a very low handicapper in his day just by watching his swing and the result. His wife hit pretty decent too but used way more club. While still on the mends early this year, I noticed the roles were reversed and he has slowed down quite a bit and they have been using a cart. I got quite a chuckle in my car when the lady drove her ball to the end of the fairway with a slight draw to it when a few hours before I had all I could do with a 2 hybrid to get close to the corner and that was a roller 3/4 of the way. I told her that was a beautiful shot and she gave me a thank you. I don't think I'd want to get into a match play with her or her husband. I hope to see them out walking again because then I will know that whatever ailment that come over him has passed.

I got my wife into the game this year. Started out with a very inexpensive RAM set and once she had some consistency we picked her up a Cleveland Bloom set at our local course pro shop on closeout. Her accuracy is almost on par with mine and her chipping is often better. Once she gets some distance on her drives I'm in real trouble :)

I'm trying to help her with that but our swings seem to be developing in different directions. Any advice?

Glad it worked for you. Failed for me, both are faults. Hoping it will come back around for another chance.

I got my wife into the game this year. Started out with a very inexpensive RAM set and once she had some consistency we picked her up a Cleveland Bloom set at our local course pro shop on closeout. Her accuracy is almost on par with mine and her chipping is often better. Once she gets some distance on her drives I'm in real trouble :)

I'm trying to help her with that but our swings seem to be developing in different directions. Any advice?

My only advice is to continue to be supportive. Her swing will become hers and yours will be yours. We have a lady friend in her late 60's. She has a open club face for every shot. She drives on average 200 yds (I wish I could). Her irons are spectacular. It works for her and that's all that's necessary.

Golfing with my wife.

Of the 70+ 9 hole rounds I've been able to play so far this year at least 60 have been with my wife. She's improving at a slower rate than I am but she is not at all athletic so I didn't expect her to Excell at this - but she is.

I have to say that her progress compared to other women at our club is outstanding! She's only been at this for a year and she is driving 150, her irons are still work in progress, but her chipping and putting is competitive with mine.

I love our practice time together. She was reluctant at first but after finding out that it wasn't just driving and that she could also practice chip, pitch and putt she fell in love with it. Now that she's been practicing, I can't tell you how much I love seeing the look on her face when she lags a 30' putt 6" from the hole. Or holes a 15 footer.

Guys, get your wives out on the course! Buy her some instructions, slow down your game a bit and enjoy your time with your wife. It will become an activity that you both can share and enjoy for the rest of your lives.

Jacqui started golfing 10 years ago, unofficially ran our golf course from 2011-2013, officially ran it from 2014-2016 and we got sacked on the same day at the end of 2016!

She is athletic anyway and she picked up hitting driver and putter right away. Her irons are still a work in progress, but she loves her hybrids. One hole-in-one in January 2017 along with a couple others that were pretty close. She also subbed for our Men's League once and played from the same tees we did even though she doesn't hit it as far. We did use a few of her drives anyway, because she is a fairway finder.

We took semi private lessons (just her and me) when she learned the game because there was no way I was going to teach her my bad habits!

My wife is the reason I started golfing. I am always thankful for her love of golf because she introduced me to the game.

Awesome post.

My wife and I would play when we started dating. Shortly after we said I do she lost interest in the game. Recently she’s started hitting a few balls around the yard with me so I’m hoping that’s a sign she’s starting to get back into it.

Took my wife to the driving range, she took 5 swings and said 'nope'.. at least for right now she's not interested, she'd much rather go to the beach for 5 hours

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My wife & I started taking lessons together then playing together about 6 years ago. We’ve been hooked ever since.
She has her group she plays with & I have mine but alone or twice a week we’ll play together.
25a418502c245bd8278cf701667c2858.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not in the cards. My wife took a series of lessons well over a decade ago.

She's not athletic... at all. Not being critical, it's just the truth. Yet after practicing the basics religiously, she developed a very decent swing. One that showed some real promise. Her very first time out, she had a few pars... I was equally proud as I was absolutely dumbfounded.

Alas... her motivation to play was due to business and the opportunity for networking. The game was never of real interest to her and her manufactured attention quickly waned.

Told her that it was really nice to spend time with her on the course when she said, "me too but we spend so much quality time together. You love golf and you love me. You can love us both, just apart. Not too much emotion for golf though, or I'll get jealous."

Truth... we're always together. Golf would've been a nice addition but we surely don't need it.

25 years together and only a month or so of actual golf on the course.

It was indeed special.

My wife returned to golf on the 4th of July after a 12 year hiatus. She actually did OK. Unlike the OPs wife, mine doesn't want to practice. As long as we play and she is enjoying herself that is fine with me. We began vacation yesterday and there is some golf in our vacation plans. Look for some pics in the Pictures from the Course thread.

Yeah, my wife wanted nothing to do with practice. Then one day she complained about a putt while at the driving range and I told her to give me 2 minutes on the putting green so I could show her just one trick. She was reluctant but agreed. I set her up with 3 groups of 5 balls each. I placed each group at 6, 12 and 18" from the fringe. After that she understood speed control. 30 minutes later I told her I wanted to leave. The next day we played 9 and the grin on her face was my reward.

After that day (when she was ready) she asked about my chip. Now her and I enjoy practice almost as much as a round. Come to find out, the driving was tiring her out and I think she was afraid the short game and putting practice was going to make it worse.

The secret that I found was to explain only one or two things at a time. And then, only when asked. Also, save the driving practice for last

Similar story-she and I got into it by accident 7 years ago. I found a Cleveland bloom see at a great price for her. Other than wedge and hybrid changes, she's still using them.

She retired in april and joined two weekly women leagues, plus once out with me. Her improvement this summer is phenomenal.

First thing I learned from her-never offer advice unless she asks-I only made that mistake once. I did buy her a 6 pack of lessons one christmas. She really enjoyed that. We were given great advice for a coach by a club fitter we used.

My wife is the reason I started golfing. I am always thankful for her love of golf because she introduced me to the game.

Same here. My wife asked the other day, "Am I pushing you to golf too much?". Uhmmm, nope.

Wife and I golf together more than we do a part. She is as consistent off the tee as anyone I've ever seen about 185 right down the middle. She's great tee to green, but is stymied by the sand, petrified of hitting over water and has the putting touch of Thor's hammer.

I try to get her to play but unfortunately she’ll only play a couple of times a year but I cipontinue to ask her.

My wife is enjoying group lessons this summer. Hopefully we’ll be able to get out to play in a few weeks. She watching golf on TV, to see how the pros hit certain shots.

Golfing with wifey on Sunday. She does not golf much and usually does not like advice unless she asks. But one piece of advice did work and it has helped her a lot at the driving range. The advice was keep butt end of club pointing at left hip. From that point on her ball striking is much better. And she now really wants to go.

Before we just golfed together as an excuse to drink some wine and spend an afternoon out

This is a great thread. I'd be happy to golf with a husband.

Presuming I ever find one. :laughing:

I love playing golf with the wife. She has a great swing and tons of potential. Our only issue right now is finding someone to watch the little ones so we can play. They are a bit too young to get them out there but I can't wait to bring my little girls with us as well.

Back