Funny Story: The Vanishing Golf Ball

Buster1

Reaction score
Handicap
9 GHIN
Was having some driver trouble yesterday. Off the second tee my drive didn’t go so well so my buddy suggested politely that I should hit another one.

I teed up the provisional and let it rip. Go TP5X! It was an incredible shot, with fierce speed and power...except that it too came off the club face funny. This second shot proceeded to take a worm burner profile and dove into the desert some 30 yards in front of us...

...and vanished!

I mean it went into the scrub and literally vanished before our eyes. No noise, no rustling, no startled varmits scattering... nothing.

We both looked at each other and then back to where the ball went in...and scratched our heads. I was thinking maybe there was some soft dirt, or mud down there, and it just impacted.

It was really weird.

We both left the tee box and strolled toward the cart. I was contemplating how I would find this remarkable second shot of mine, wondering where in the universe, or what dimension it went to... as my buddy put his driver away.

That’s when we heard an unmistakable and loud “CLACK.”

About 10 yards in front of the cart was my golf ball bouncing off the cart path, as if dropped from the hand of Thor himself. This was at least 20 seconds after the shot, but it seemed like minutes.

We both laughed pretty hard...but the hang time was no joke. The ball musta hit some rock perfectly and launched into the pure vertical! I’ve never seen anything like it!

The hang time gets longer and longer each time I tell the story (I’m up to two minutes telling it to my father! :D ) but I figured you guys would get a kick out of the story!

Was having some driver trouble yesterday. Off the second tee my drive didn’t go so well so my buddy suggested politely that I should hit another one.

I teed up the provisional and let it rip. Go TP5X! It was an incredible shot, with fierce speed and power...except that it too came off the club face funny. This second shot proceeded to take a worm burner profile and dove into the desert some 30 yards in front of us...

...and vanished!

I mean it went into the scrub and literally vanished before our eyes. No noise, no rustling, no startled varmits scattering... nothing.

We both looked at each other and then back to where the ball went in...and scratched our heads. I was thinking maybe there was some soft dirt, or mud down there, and it just impacted.

It was really weird.

We both left the tee box and strolled toward the cart. I was contemplating how I would find this remarkable second shot of mine, wondering where in the universe, or what dimension it went to... as my buddy put his driver away.

That’s when we heard an unmistakable and loud “CLACK.”

About 10 yards in front of the cart was my golf ball bouncing off the cart path, as if dropped from the hand of Thor himself. This was at least 20 seconds after the shot, but it seemed like minutes.

We both laughed pretty hard...but the hang time was no joke. The ball musta hit some rock perfectly and launched into the pure vertical! I’ve never seen anything like it!

The hang time gets longer and longer each time I tell the story (I’m up to two minutes telling it to my father! :D ) but I figured you guys would get a kick out of the story!
Haha that happened to me about a year ago. On a Par 3 I got a real wonky swing at that moment and did a dead ball duck hook, I watched the ball for a few seconds then angrily grabbed my tee and started heading for the cart. All of a sudden I hear this wack wack wack as the ball is bouncing on this guy's roof that is ANOTHER 50 yards left....my initial reaction was WTF....

So of course they are home, and the guy comes outside because literally only the worst golfer could possibly hit his freaking house. I head over.... Park my cart.... Trek through the desert to his house, and immediately start apologizing. He comes out and grabs my ball..... I start telling him what initially occurred, and luckily you can clearly see and asphalt scuff mark on the ball. He started laughing at my panicked look, tossed me the ball and said all was good since I was the first person to ever hit his house. To this day everytime I play that hole I still try to do the math on how that ball reached his house.

Was playing The Bull a few weeks ago against my brother-in-law. About 175 yards out, hit my approach...2nd shot on a par 5. Comes up a bit short, going in the creek bed.

Bounces up in the air, probably 25-30 feet high. Lands back dead center of the fairway. Up and down for a birdie.

He almost puked after my putt. Said there was no way he'd beat me with the Golf Gods smiling on me that way.

He didn't.

Just like a fish story. I always account for their growth after I catch them so that a 4# Bass from six years ago is damn near a state record now. I always assume that they have the best genetics to get that big. I mean, how could you not?

Back