Shaft stiffness input

Sp.campbell

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all

I am gaming an older set (2011) Taylormade TP MB/MC’s with KBS Tour S shafts. I am constantly battling two big misses 1. Taking too much ground ahead of the ball and 2. a slice on my long irons and fade on my short irons.

I have a pretty quick tempo and when I slow down both seem to get better but after a few holes I fall back into my quick tempo.

For sale in my local area is a set of Taylormade TP (2013) MB’s with some project x 65g x-stiff shafts. They are asking a very fair price.

I am curious if these shafts would be better or worst for my game? Driver speed about 105mph and 7 iron distance about 165 yards.

Let me know if any other info would help and give me all your thoughts.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imho proper stiffness isn’t as much about ss as it is transition.

my 7i, while probably less loft than yours, is longer. yet i typically get fit into regular or stiff.

going up a flex will probably bring launch down, and tighten up dispersion. it’s at least worth trying.

I would love to see my launch come down, feels like my 8 and down hang up there forever.

Not sure what is meant by “dispersion” in this context.

I would love to see my launch come down, feels like my 8 and down hang up there forever.

left to right dispersion

Dispersion is what it is all about when talking irons.

Those are your scoring clubs. The clubs you are going to use on your approach shots. Closer to the hole translates to lower scores.

I'm betting your transition and downswing isn't very smooth. I see guys with quick tempos and slow tempos knocking down flags. What they always have in common is a smooth transition and downswing. If you smooth out the transition letting the club fall and pick up speed during the downswing guess what? The club will approach the ball on a more inside path (cutting down or eliminating your slice/fade) and your weight can move more to your front foot which will move the bottom of your swing forward.

As an added bonus, a smooth downswing promotes keeping your hands ahead of the ball at impact (or at least less flippy) and will bring down your sky ball.

NOTE: You may find you need to strengthen your grip a bit in making this change if you've been flipping it.

Shaft stiffness input

Dispersion is what it is all about when talking irons.

Those are your scoring clubs. The clubs you are going to use on your approach shots. Closer to the hole translates to lower scores.

I'm betting your transition and downswing isn't very smooth. I see guys with quick tempos and slow tempos knocking down flags. What they always have in common is a smooth transition and downswing. If you smooth out the transition letting the club fall and pick up speed during the downswing guess what? The club will approach the ball on a more inside path (cutting down or eliminating your slice/fade) and your weight can move more to your front foot which will move the bottom of your swing forward.

As an added bonus, a smooth downswing promotes keeping your hands ahead of the ball at impact (or at least less flippy) and will bring down your sky ball.

NOTE: You may find you need to strengthen your grip a bit in making this change if you've been flipping it.

Wow, awesome thanks. I will defiantly try and focus on the transition. When you say strengthen the grip you mean both hands? Or just one hand in particularly? I can post a pic of my grip if needed.

I assume the consensus is to not try these new irons/shafts then?

Last edited:
Not a great photo but it’s my normal grip.

66513400f68fc1a51872a9e905048aef.jpg

Wow, awesome thanks. I will defiantly try and focus on the transition. When you say strengthen the grip you mean both hands? Or just one hand in particularly? I can post a pic of my grip if needed.

I assume the consensus is to not try these new irons/shafts then?

You always want the hands opposing each other, otherwise, they can't work together as they should. The top golf instructors emphasize this all the time. I was reviewing an instruction video this morning by Hank Haney where he emphasized this very point. The common way to do this is to look at where the crease between your thumb and pointer finger points when on the grip. They should both point in the same direction and point somewhere between your nose and your trail shoulder. The closer it points to the trail shoulder the stronger the grip.

P.S. Based on the picture you posted your right hand is pretty neutral pointing midway between your nose and trail shoulder. The crease of your left hand is hidden. However, based on the shape of your left hand on the club, I suspect it is pointing closer to your trail shoulder. If so, they aren't matched as they should. If you've been using this grip for a while, changing even one hand so the hands are opposing will feel weird for awhile and you'll have the tendency for the hands to wander back to what's familiar. Stick with it and with repetition you'll see an improvement in the cocking, lag, and release of the club.

Some things to think about before you rely on shaft to make a big sweeping change in the results out there;

1 - I'd like you to educate yourself on strong/neutral/weak grips and how they impact the potential flight of a golf ball. With your bottom hand rolled over the top the way it is, I am not terribly surprised to hear that you have a left to right tendency in your results. That said, it could be an over the top move that is dictating it, and that's something that can only be resolved by proper instruction.

2 - I've never heard of project X selling x-flex shafts in 65 grams.. What are they? Does x flex mean 6.0 or 6.5? Both are quite stout. Swinging at 105 I'd like to see you in no more than 6.0

moving to an 'x' flex won't fix a slice. Club face isn't matching path at impact. That's swing, not shaft.

Thank you all very much for your input. I have some work to do on the range and fully understanding the weak - strong grip.

I am defiantly not going to spend the money on the clubs.

Shaft stiffness input

2 - I've never heard of project X selling x-flex shafts in 65 grams.. What are they? Does x flex mean 6.0 or 6.5? Both are quite stout. Swinging at 105 I'd like to see you in no more than 6.0

I definitely miss typed that, not 65g but 6.5 stiffness and 125 grams

Back