Golf Performance After Work

P.J.

Reaction score
Handicap
Rounds of golf after work are great aren't they? Really making an effort to get 9 holes in a day or two per week after work. Also getting invited to play 18 with some guys every other week or so. Looking back at my rounds I've started to see a trend plus I'm feeling it this morning.

My 9 hole performances is MUCH better in many ways than my total 18 hole performances. Higher GIR%, Higher Scrambling%, Fewer Putts, etc. Last night I played the final 6 holes 4 over with no GIR and with the exception of an absolutely perfect chip shot, no real 'good' shots either. First 12 holes had 8 GIR and I was 2 over with a silly double early. It was like 2 different golfers looking at the scorecard. I feel beat up this morning.

I have a somewhat physical job, but not overly so. What are yall doing to keep your body performing at 8pm when you got up 6am that morning?

I agree with your thought, the first 9 seems much easier than the back nine. The one thing I have to do to make it thru is eat, slice of pizza, couple hotdogs just something to get me thru the round. I have a pretty small window of when I eat and how early/late I can go past that window, and as long as I can catch it I can manage a decent round. Miss it and I am in trouble.

9 holes is easier to keep that energy level up throughout. Always find that on 18 holes there is a bit of a lull in between.

I curl 12 oz most days of the week. Helps keep me in shape.

~Rock

I prefer to Golf first thing in the AM. I work a lot and after work, I'm tired. I perform much better in the AM. And also tend to warm up as I play so classically perform better on the back nine.

I played 9 after work yesterday. I want to do it more. I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich before I went out. If I didn't have that or something, I would have been dragassing by 5 or 6.

I was up yesterday at 5:30. I'm a desk jockey so I'm not dog tired at the end of the day. The sandwich helped and riding helped with my energy level. If I was walking, I'm sure the story would be different. Staying well-hydrated helps too.

I agree with your thought, the first 9 seems much easier than the back nine. The one thing I have to do to make it thru is eat, slice of pizza, couple hotdogs just something to get me thru the round. I have a pretty small window of when I eat and how early/late I can go past that window, and as long as I can catch it I can manage a decent round. Miss it and I am in trouble.

Very good point. I had a pack of peanut butter crackers and a gatorade pre round. Plenty of water during the round. But I think I was short on fuel for sure

Most of my rounds are after work, sometimes I can tell a difference and sometimes I can't.

9 holes is easier to keep that energy level up throughout. Always find that on 18 holes there is a bit of a lull in between.

I see that too from time to time, but if you saw my stats, there's a distinct drop somewhere on the back 9 that I don't recover from

I think one of the problems near the end of the round during the summer is getting really loose. By about hole 13 or 14 during the summer I am so loose my swing can get kind of wonky (back swing too far back, hips moving too fast, etc.). My driver starts going all over the place in particular.

I'm not a fan, I work in the city so I have to commute to the course and always feel rushed, also no matter how relaxed my job was that day I just feel a bit spent walking up to the tee.

On a side note, I never score a 9 hole round, it's just fun/practice, part of the difficulty of golf is playing well for 18 holes, I don't believe 9 should be allowed in handicaps and never combining to make 18, that's just nuts to me.

Back