Low and left shots

Lost Golfer

Working on trying to improve
Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve been having trouble hitting my irons low and left. I was usually a lot better with my irons than my woods but not anymore. I have usually hit my 5iron approx.175 yards but now my 5 iron goes about 140 yards with a wicked low hook. All my irons are about the same result. Low with a hook. My 8, 9 and PW don’t go low but have that same hook to them. I am so frustrated. I’ve taken lessons from my pro and he told me to think of light grip, good tempo and swing to a good finish. I don’t seem to swing out at the target (he suggests swing out to 1:00 - 2:00) but I have real trouble doing that. It’s better when I swing with good tempo but those swings are few and far between. I’m more golf hit than golf swing (I’m ballbound). Anyone else dealt with this issue and any suggestions to help? Thanks.

Try to let your wrists release naturally at impact. Don't guide the club through, just let it go. Take a smooth practice swing and then put the same swing on the ball. Good luck.

Act like you don't care. Don't be so uptight. Tell yourself....make the swing, otherwise you learn nothing. If it doesn't do what you want with a good swing, you've got something to work with. Make a bad swing........what do you correct?

Last edited:
Simple suggestions, use one or more or none, but it's best to bring the video on for Freddie.

Check ball position and move it forward off your shirt logo (the further back it is, the more likely your path is in to out and more of a draw)

Check your grip to make certain it's not too strong

Eyes stare in front of the ball so you're not ball bound

Keep turning your hips to the finish

If I'm reading this correctly, swinging out to right field at 1-2 o'clock will get you a draw. Maybe you ought to think "cut" and feel like you're hitting the upper right hand corner of the ball (right hander) on your downswing - you won't, will probably hit it in the center.

Don't use your hands to release artificially - which turns the club over - allow it to release naturally.

See what works and make adjustments.

yeah, I'm currently having that same problem whereas I didn't not that long ago and it's killing my longer approach shots. It sucks to be getting off great tee shots with my driver only to suck on second shots with my 5-8 irons.

I'm low and left and high right but only since I changed to midsize grips.

Back