Anyone with hip problems?

TripleF

Reaction score
Handicap
About 8 years ago I tore the labrum in my right hip (I'm a 68 year old, right handed golfer who walks). Recovery was fairly quick and I've been pain free for several years . . . until three weeks ago. Think I must have re-torn that labrum. My doctor told me 8 years ago I also had arthritis, so a hip replacement may be coming.

Anyone had similar issues? What was your experience coming back post surgery? Suggestions?

I have had two hip replacements (both sides). The right was done in 2006. Coming back from it was tough because of all the restrctions the doc put on me. 6 weeks physical therapy and just physical restrictions. The left was in 2015. Because of the amount of years between the two there were less restrictions but still 6 weeks physical therapy. I did get chronic tendonitis which took 24 physical therapy visits to get it straightened out. I continue to do the exercises to keep the tendonitis in check, which keeps everything strong.

I had a cyst in my right hip and arthritis in the left.

Now they are doing surgeries as outpatient which blew my mind. Swinging the club is not an issue but I don't walk. I don't want to wear out my hips.

Hope this helps.

Questions?

About 8 years ago I tore the labrum in my right hip (I'm a 68 year old, right handed golfer who walks). Recovery was fairly quick and I've been pain free for several years . . . until three weeks ago. Think I must have re-torn that labrum. My doctor told me 8 years ago I also had arthritis, so a hip replacement may be coming.

Anyone had similar issues? What was your experience coming back post surgery? Suggestions?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I had my left hip labrum repaired and part of the head of my femur shaved down. Had the surgery due to hockey. Have not had any problems since and it has been 7 years. I am 48 and was told at the time I will most likely need a hip replacement in the future. The only way to really tell if you have a tear is another MRI.

I will say I have had some pain in my left hip around a year ago but it was my hip flexor and I started stretching it and it hasn’t bothered me since.

I have dysplasia in my hips and both knees. I was born with it so I've always had to deal with the pain. My ortho told me a long time ago that I would need a hip replacement by the time I was 30 years old. Here I am at 35 and still ticking though. For me the hardest part, besides all the walking and pressure on my knees, is that I struggle with my hip rotation. I feel your pain though, hang in there! Wish you a speedy and full recovery!

Ding ding ding! This guy does ... big time. I have "Legg Perthes" which has affected my hip socket & leg length. It's awfully painful sometimes. It's very difficult to walk courses anymore, that's why I always ride. I'm lucky I can get thru the round even then. It usually starts hindering my swing by about the 13th hole or so. I grin & bear it for the most part but you will see my really exaggerate my "hitch in my giddy-up" as my wife likes to call it (limp) on my right side as I get more tired.

I have to get my right hip replaced very soon if I get my schedule together. When that eventually happens, I will have to revamp my entire swing again and won't know what to do. But then I might be able to turn behind the ball better & will hit the ball further, like I did when I was younger. One can only hope!

Thanks for the input folks! I have a doctor's appointment next Tuesday and I'm guessing an MRI following if the arthritis is not clearly the problem. If it does turn out to be the labrum I'm not sure if they would do a second repair or move on to a replacement . . . I'm guessing replacement. But I really don't know. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. But either way golf is pretty much out for me for awhile. :angry:

I can't speak for myself, but my uncle had a hip replacement just about 10 years back now. He was out of commission for a few months, but he's been playing basically every weekend ever since he's recovered. Still hits the bar as far as he did beforehand as well, and walks most of his rounds.

I made it to 44 with a 3* dysplacia in my right hip. I was rather athletic in HS and College, and managed to wear things out. The right was replaced in 2001 and the left made it to 2011.

I regularly walk 9 holes, but cart 18. At 59, I’m not worried about a revision surgery in my lifetime, but I don’t abuse them.

Met with my doctor yesterday and I have an August 22 appointment for a total hip replacement (anterior). Ready to get this show on the road so recovery can start!

Met with my doctor yesterday and I have an August 22 appointment for a total hip replacement (anterior). Ready to get this show on the road so recovery can start!

Wish you luck and a speedy recovery.

Having had both knees replaced due to arthritis and having arthritis in the lower spine I was convinced I was going to need a hip replacement when I started getting constant pain issues with my right hip. X-Rays showed there was no arthritis; the diagnosis was bursitis and an injection cleared it up. I hope your outcome is just as uncomplicated.

Having had both knees replaced due to arthritis and having arthritis in the lower spine I was convinced I was going to need a hip replacement when I started getting constant pain issues with my right hip. X-Rays showed there was no arthritis; the diagnosis was bursitis and an injection cleared it up. I hope your outcome is just as uncomplicated.

Wish it was but the arthritis in my right hip is undeniable. But these days hip replacements are almost boring! I'm confident everything will come out GREAT and I'll be walking 18 before you know it!!

I'm now 5 days post op. Very, very little pain. I'm totally amazed. Walking about 3/4 mile split into 4 sessions. Using a single crutch for balance only. I could go further easily, but doctor made me promise to not!! PT starts tomorrow but I expect to be to be "kicked to the curb" soon! Right now my opinion is that if you have arthritis in your hip don't screw around with injections or PT . . . these really don't cure the arthritis. Ho ahead and get the freakin' hip replaced. A very, VERY easy operation to recover from!! And these days you aren't going to likely wear the new joint out!

I had my left hip replaced on Dec. 15 (at 47 yrs old), also anterior approach. I had 8 weeks PT, cleared to play golf 3 mo. post op. Walked the course all summer, feel great. Welcome to the bionic, settin off metal detectors club!

I felt AWESOME after 6 days . . . almost no pain. Then I over did it! And oh my . . . I regressed to pain level way worst than before surgery. But I'm coming back, taking it very easy and slow. I'll get there . . . it's just talking me a little longer due to my stupidity!!

Back