Clubs that never made it to your bag

Galen Marek

Reaction score
Handicap
There's three iron sets I always wanted to try but either the timing wasn't right or in the case of the 731PM irons never available for right handers.

fci.jpg

I remember seeing those while touring Taylormade. It was a while ago but I think it was their tour department. I strained to read the tags and I made out on one for the clubs to be modeled after the Titleist 962. I couldn't make out any names though. I know Ernie Els played these at one point. I was a huge fan and I wanted these. Because of Ernie I tried a Taylormade 320 driver with a Rifle steel shaft. That experiment didn't last long.

daiwa.jpg

I just thought these irons were absolutely gorgeous but I never got around to a set. I liked the idea of the cavity but most of the mass in the center for better feel. If I ever encounter a set of these in decent shape for not too much coin I'll probably pull the trigger.

titleist-731-pm-iron-set-pw-dg-s300-4_1_f0d777fe7babaee1b8e64ec97062d663.jpg

Unapologetic Phil homer here so this was always on my radar hoping they'd be made for righty players. I even played the 990's cause I think that's what he played until this set. Luckily since he's been with Callaway I have at least the opportunity to purchase the model he plays.

Honorary mention: Ping I/3 O-Size. Something about those clubs have always appealed to my eye. But back then I was a forged club snob and would never sully my game with a cast club. If I'm being honest when I hit those right they felt as good as anything I've played.

So fellow THP'ers. What are the clubs that got away?

Apex MB and apex pro 14’. Always wanted to love them but never felt comfortable to actually game them. Great shape and appearance at address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man... was I jonesing for these so bad in the mid to late 90s?! But back then, still early in my career and with a very young family, I just couldn't swing the cost.

0c305922b43d299a8bdad5b924fa10b2.jpg

Man... was I jonesing for these so bad in the mid to late 90s?! But back then, still early in my career and with a very young family, I just couldn't swing the cost.

0c305922b43d299a8bdad5b924fa10b2.jpg

I wanted the nickel version really bad. I forgot about that one. Lynx was the s*!t back in the day.

Most recently, the 2016 Callaway Epic driver. I loved what I heard about this club, but when I actually got to get on a launch monitor and try it out it just did not perform for me.

Another one I forgot. I'm a sucker for any club or racquet that says "prototype" on it.

CallwayProto_600_0.jpg

Back