low driver spin urethane ball

weemohack

Reaction score
Handicap
Quick run down on my game as it will be pertinent. Starting playing seriously (2-3X a week) last year after previously only playing 4-5 times an entire season. I have lowered my handicap from 22 when I started to 11.6 currently. Driver SS is low 90's and unfortunately my driver miss is 2 way. High block to the right or a screaming pull to the left. Obviously this is a swing flaw. Irons and hybrid/fairway woods are my strength and my touch around the green is rapidly improving. I am to the point where I want to move from 2-3 piece Surlyn covers to urethane covers. I do know that a pro V feels very "hard" to me. I think I am looking for a lower compression urethane balls w/ as low a driver spin as possible. I do also have a somewhat higher backspin w/ the driver so this is important to me. I really don't have a hard time stopping even a Surlyn ball on full shots so "max" iron spin isnt' required. Lower driver spin, distance, and softer feel are really what I'm looking for. I still lose 1-2 balls a round. Cost will not be the deciding factor but a ball would need to be a clear winner for me to spend $4 per ball. I know the answer is hit as many as possible but I really only have access to buying full 1 dozen boxes locally. I will list a few balls I have tried in this category.
Pro V1.....$4 per ball and honestly didn't care for it. I know I am the minority here but at my slower (average) ss it just felt firm to me.
TP5.... almost $4 per ball but I will say that I was very impressed the holes I played it before donation it to the lake.
Q star tour.....wanted to love this ball at $30 per dozen. I thought it was just 'ok". Not sure what it really was but just didn't seem great in any one area.

Go check out Snell Golf. The MTB Black and Red golf balls are really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a youtube channel with content created by clubfitters did a test, albeit with only one golfer so take it with a grain of salt. they found the snell mtb to be high launch low spin relative to several other premium golf balls. it's my ball of choice and i love it. regardless of what iron i have in my hand, i get drop and stop distance control. short game performance has improved vs the og mtb based on my experience so far, and the feel is a little better off the putter. it's just a damn near perfect golf ball for me.

There are lots of good ones to choose from!

Callaway Chromesoft
Bridgestone Tour B rx and rxs
Snell MTB Black (touting 7% lower compression core)
Wilson Duo urethane
OnCore Elixr - To me, was very similar feel and performance wise to chromesoft.

I personally play chromesoft truvis and love them. Soft feel and cool designs. A lot of people on here have been raving about the Snell MTB Black, but I haven't gotten around to trying them.

Good luck in your search!

a youtube channel with content created by clubfitters did a test, albeit with only one golfer so take it with a grain of salt. they found the snell mtb to be high launch low spin relative to several other premium golf balls. it's my ball of choice and i love it. regardless of what iron i have in my hand, i get drop and stop distance control. short game performance has improved vs the og mtb based on my experience so far, and the feel is a little better off the putter. it's just a damn near perfect golf ball for me.
Red or Black Chris?
edit: used my eyes and read your sig.

Srixon Z-Star ball has a nice compression for 90mph SS, low spin, soft feel

Titleist AVX is worth a look.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Titleist AVX is worth a look.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest that as well. Q Star Tour is also a decent choice. For a very economical choice you might want to try out the Top Flite Gamer Tours. I play most of my casual rounds with them, Dicks was running them BoGo every Thursday so it came out to 10.00 a dozen.

Red or Black Chris?
edit: used my eyes and read your sig.

i haven't tried the red yet. i love the mtb black, and honestly there isn't anything i wish it would do differently.

Thanks all! The AVX was definitely on my list to try. I just have to swallow the $4 per ball idea. MTB black is getting a lot of love. That's definitely the price range I would prefer BUT I had previously shied away because my perception was "it's a Pro V at a better price". Obviously that is great for most but as I said, the Pro V really isn't a good fit for me. Sounds like I need to not think of the MTB black that way.

Thanks all! The AVX was definitely on my list to try. I just have to swallow the $4 per ball idea. MTB black is getting a lot of love. That's definitely the price range I would prefer BUT I had previously shied away because my perception was "it's a Pro V at a better price". Obviously that is great for most but as I said, the Pro V really isn't a good fit for me. Sounds like I need to not think of the MTB black that way.

if you think pro v is too hard, you may not love the mtb black. pm me your address and i'll send you a sleeve of mtb black to test.

PM sent. I can't thank you enough for the generous offer!

C.A. coming in clutch!! Shows how awesome it is to be a part of THP!

Wilson Staff Duo Soft is 29 compression, feels soft off all clubs in the bag, hit, hop & stop on the greens. I don't think it's urethane, but it sure feels soft at impact. Big plus is it's $20.00 at walmart.

PM me yout address and I'll send you a sleeve too.

Why don’t you try the Callaway Supersoft and see how you get on with it? Not urethane but may work well.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the offer Mach! Great group of people on here. I play both the Callaway supersoft, and the Duo soft fairly regularly. I also play the callaway superhot. These are the 3 balls I would call my current gamers. I am wanting to move to a urethane cover for added spin and control around the greens, but do not need a super high spin urethane ball due to my driver.

Wilson Staff Duo Soft is 29 compression, feels soft off all clubs in the bag, hit, hop & stop on the greens. I don't think it's urethane, but it sure feels soft at impact. Big plus is it's $20.00 at walmart.

PM me yout address and I'll send you a sleeve too.
Maybe Wilson Staff Duo Urethane. 55 compression. Academy Sports Run then at $28 a dozen although MSRP is $38 occasionally.
I’m looking for a new ball too. I want just a little more short game control.

Wilson FG Tour is a very good, underrated low-compression ball, lowest compression tour ball according to Wilson.

Snell MTB - next on my list to try... great company, great value, ball reviews sound spot on.

Srixon Z-Star (awesome feel & spin, inexpensive)

TourB RX/RXS ae expensive but prior B330 RX/RXS series can be had cheap.

Chromesoft have a nice feel.

Surprised no one has said b330rx. I think it's a little softer and I find a little lower spinning than other urethane balls

I was going to suggest that as well. Q Star Tour is also a decent choice. For a very economical choice you might want to try out the Top Flite Gamer Tours. I play most of my casual rounds with them, Dicks was running them BoGo every Thursday so it came out to 10.00 a dozen.

I may be in the minority here, but I think the AVX is not nearly worth the price point. It seems to me like it should be priced around $36/dozen. It’s not a tour level ball. Solid low spin off the tee but not enough spin around the greens to justify its price. Oh. And Titleist is straight up lying when they say it’s soft. It’s not hard, but it’s no DUO Urethane or Q-Star Tour.

It makes me wonder whether it’s a failed upgrade of the Pro V1 that Titleist is just marketing as something different and unique.

if you think pro v is too hard, you may not love the mtb black. pm me your address and i'll send you a sleeve of mtb black to test.

Another confirmation that THP is the most badass place on earth.

The Duo-Urethane is the straightest urethane ball I've ever hit.

But for me, hitting them with the lower spin inducing CF16 irons resulted in some nuked shots and difficulty in holding greens with mid irons or longer.

No such issues though when I briefly put my old Mizunos back into play.

But absolutely loved the ball's straightness off the tee.

You might want to try the Cally "WARBIRD" , not urethane but a really good ball. P.S. I used to play the PRO V but the new compound is like hitting rocks. Couldn't take it , so warbird it is for me.

One way to try different balls at a much more affordable price is lostgolfballs.com. Some of the newer fancier balls are not discounted a ton (Chrome Soft Truvis and Titleist AVX), but nearly everything else can be had for a really nice price including the non-Truvis Chrome Soft's. You sound a lot like me and while I really like Pro V1's I also feel they are a bit hard, but they spin so well for me I ignore the feel. A ball that feels great and performs for me is the Bridgestone B-RX or older model B330-RX. They don't spin quite as much around the green, but they launch higher on full swings and feel great off the driver. I am working my way through 50 used Pro V1's right now, but I plan to buy the Bridgestone's when I am done. Also used balls are the way to go. They save so much money and there is no performance difference (plenty documentation out there on this). Unless you have some mental block it's sill to pay $4 a ball when you can get the same ball for $1.50 or even $1.

I may be in the minority here, but I think the AVX is not nearly worth the price point. It seems to me like it should be priced around $36/dozen. It’s not a tour level ball. Solid low spin off the tee but not enough spin around the greens to justify its price. Oh. And Titleist is straight up lying when they say it’s soft. It’s not hard, but it’s no DUO Urethane or Q-Star Tour.

It makes me wonder whether it’s a failed upgrade of the Pro V1 that Titleist is just marketing as something different and unique.

It's their version of a Chrome Soft. It performs nearly identical to it. They just didn't paint it up all fancy and they charge more for it (which is why no one is buying it).

Back