Fairway Wood Off the Deck

I have no confidence in my fairway woods off the deck. It's either going to be really good, or go backwards. Seriously.

This is something that I practice on the range and have moderate success with, but when it comes time to execute it in round I have no faith in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't do it that much. I thought it was pretty damn easy with my Ping G20. It is even easier - ridiculously so - with Callaway's V Series 3W.

I'll do it whenever the need arises. I'm pretty confident with my 4 wood.

In general, I like the smaller heads on the fairway metals. It gives me more confidence when I'm hitting the ball off the deck.

If it's a situation where I don't feel comfortable with it, I'll just use my hybrid.

I'd say 2-3 times per round. Both my 3W & 5W are V-Series and so easy to hit off the deck that I don't give it a second thought. That being said I still avoid forced carries and hazards when given the option.

I usually only hit FW off the deck if I'm trying to get on to a Par 5 in two and it's a very favorable lie.

I used to not be able to hit this, but changes to my game have added a dimension that I didn't have before.

I play the Bio Cell 15.5* and I hit this better than I hit the Cleveland Mashie

I don't do this often. Maybe twice a round max. I only have a 3w so it needs to be a good lie from about 220 for me to try it. Otherwise I'm laying up with a 7i.

I have found the Big Bertha the easiest to hit off the deck of the few I have tried.

maybe once or twice a round, and the stars have to be perfectly aligned to do so. my swing just isn't conducive to launching and spinning the ball high enough. the types of clubs that i feel help the most are smaller profile heads and slightly shorter length.

When I had my Callaway Diablo 3 wood in the bag I would not hesitate to use it off the deck. I haven't had many chances to use my Biocell 3 wood off the deck yet but don't think I would have a problem with it. With that said, the need for that shot would probably only occur once per round if that.

Usually once, at most twice per round. It's almost always for reaching a par 5 in 2.

I might pull it out around the green if I'm in a tough situation, but only if it absolutely calls for it.

Up until the grandaddy, I didn't even carry a FW, but the GBB 3w and 5w got in the bag and give me so much confidence. Im comfortable hitting both off the deck if the yardage comes up.

Hardly ever. I just don't find a lot of success doing it, compared to how I tend to do hitting a hybrid, so unless I'm feeling it and I'm in that 220 yard range where I feel like a well-struck ball from my 4-wood will get there, I'll lay up with a hybrid. It's a shot I would like to get better at.

Not very often at all, actually. I'd only do this, typically on a par 5, 2nd shot, if it's pretty open in front of the green. I find myself wanting a shallower profile than both the D200 and G30 that I currently rotate.

I play a FW off the deck 3 or 4 times a round. On longer courses it might be 5 or 6 times. No preference in style

Up until the grandaddy, I didn't even carry a FW, but the GBB 3w and 5w got in the bag and give me so much confidence. Im comfortable hitting both off the deck if the yardage comes up.
The way you hammered your old hybrids, you didn't need to!

I play FW OTD quite a few times each round. Up until recently I had all Mashies, but Callaway X-Hot 3W and 5W knocked them out. Man I am loving the three wood right now. Very high degree of confidence with it.

JM

I have been struggling with my 3w a lot lately....BIG SLICE! But I hit my v-series Heavenwood great!!

Think I may need a v-series 3W

Once or twice a round maybe. My confidence with it is pretty much none at the moment.

All the time. Cleveland 588 and the heavenwood are the only clubs I have found that I can do it pretty consistently with

All the time. I have grown fond of my Cobra Amp cell 4 wood

way more than Id like

Mashies and the heavenwood have been the easiest

How often do you play your FW woods off the deck? Are there certain models that you find easier to do this with?

Several times a round. I love today's thin faced woods. Very easy to hit compared to years ago.

Seeing as I am not a distance guy I use a fairway wood off the deck quite often. I used to carry a 3 wood for off the deck and now that I have gone to a 4W for off the deck it has been night and day difference, yes it couyld be attributed to the model and many other things, but I believe the extra loft has helped me quite a bit. I tend to play a FW off the deck at least 12 times a round if not more. for reference my 4W off the deck is about 180-190 depending on if I make good contact.
I have found my TEE XCG7 with the shallow face has been extremely easy to hit off the deck. Also the Callaway Optiforce 4W I have is another one that is super easy to hit off the deck, again it has a much shallower face.

​I agree with musicmaster6921. I now use a X2 hot 4 wood and can hit it so much better than any 3 wood I've ever owned. I use the 4 wood at least 7 times per round where I normally play.

I wouldn't know if there's a certain type of fairway wood that's better off the deck, but I would say if I'm playing for a different set of tees I may hit it once or twice off the deck, I would say I hit it off the tee more than off the deck.

Back