Best innovation in golf, last 10 years?

Arccos/Cobra Connect and or Game Golf

I was gonna go with this category too. Garmin even has a product that looks exactly like Arccos. In terms of revolutionary vs evolutionary, the levels of improvement that these things can bring is so different than anything else.

Gps/Range finders. Helped speed up the game and drop scores a bit. Can’t recall the last time I walked off a distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. To finally be able to chart carry distances to and over hazards, and know how far we ACTUALLY hit a club is a huge help.

One more thing . I saw a commercial tonight, I think it was a Golf Logix app(?), that shows the break of a green on your phone, the way they do it on Tour with yardage books. First thought was, "how cool is that?" then I pictured 4 guys on every green in front of me pulling out their phones for every putt! AAAGH

Has to be the proliferation of affordable launch monitors. It's not available to everyone but there is one in every major retailer that's available to be rented and some dedicated indoor golf facilities.
There is a reason every Pro is on a launch monitor at the practice range before a round. Fine tuning distances for that particular day. Sure it might change as the round goes on but they are tweaking stock distances all the time.
GPS apps is a close second for the same reasons.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Arcoss and similar type of technology.

I'd throw the SuperStroke style putter grips into the pot. But I think if this thread shows anything it's how wonderfully blessed we've been with a plethora of significant advancements over the last decade.

Twist Face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad you enjoy it. I can hit a high toe slice for whatever reason so I've been very unimpressed. My misses are still misses. When I pure one with my M3 440 it's impressive. But dang if I don't miss just as bad if not worse with it. I much prefer my 2016 M1 430 to my 2018 M3 440. The 430 is not known as forgiving, probably the reverse. But I agree with it a lot more than its newer counterpart.

I'd throw the SuperStroke style putter grips into the pot. But I think if this thread shows anything it's how wonderfully blessed we've been with a plethora of significant advancements over the last decade.

Yes! For those with meaty hands SuperStroke grips are amazing. Not quite groundbreaking but others copying a new concept means it is successful.

GolfNow, TeeOff.com and the assorted golf booking apps.

For those of us who remember calling individual proshops as to tee-time availability... it's truly revolutionary!!!

Lots of good responses in here. I was taking a break for the last decade so all of these innovations passed me by. I am only nine months into my return to golf and I am not utilizing most of these innovations. I really need to look into Arcos or equivalent. Thanks for the great thread.

Balls and graphite shafts. The tech that goes into both of these now is mind blowing. I would also say the changes made to cast irons that keep getting closer to forged.

putter design to get the ball rolling quicker.

For me I think it’s either adjustable hosels. A close second would be jailbreak

I'm going to go with tech like GC Quad/Trackman/Arccos/etc. Now your average hacker has access to tools that will shape his/her game from fitting to the course. Access to spin rates, peak height, ball/club speed, distances, individual club handicaps...completely changes the way we view the game.

I don't know how long they have been around, but for me it's been the range finder. I have been playing for 13 years and put off buying one until a few years ago. Best golf equipment purchase I ever made. Not only has it saved me strokes, but I like not having to walk off yardages.

Another cool device is a MEVO...the poor man's Trackman. A friend of mine has one and it's a remarkable piece of technology. He has it synced with his Kindle Fire and you can easily see all the numbers. Changing clubs is a breeze, and it provides the user with a lot of useful information.

Balls for sure. There is so much more put into them now, and a different ball for everyone instead of one or two balls for everyone.

I'll vote for Graphite shafts. The shafts UST is making are light-years ahead of the shafts my grandfather was using.

2nd would be balls and 3rd would be tech like Arccos and such

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Hardware wise, I would say the adjustable hosel has made the biggest impact on golf in the last 10 years.

THP, without a doubt has made the biggest impact on me and my game in the last 10 years over anything.
Had I not found THP, I would not be anywhere near as educated on the equipment and the game in general as I am today.

GPS and laser/range finders. They are much better now and really aid in the game.

Arccos/Cobra Connect and or Game Golf

Game Golf has opened my eyes in the last couple years more than anything. The knowledge gained from it has helped me prioritize areas for improvement.

Its GPS capability makes it easier to pull the right club without having to find and walk off from yardage markers, too.

There are a lot of good answers here and I don't think there is one that really stands head and shoulders above the rest.

I think it’s graphite iron shafts, what they were 10 years ago to what they are today is a massive amount of difference. I believe they’re benefits/performance value is high enough now that it’s causing more and more shaft companies to jump into the graphite iron shaft game.

Depends if you are referring to recreational golfers or pros. For pros it is hands down the launch monitor. And for everyone else it is close between shafts and the fittings that go with them or hybrids.

Although the golf ball is a great choice, I look at the ball as more of an incredible evolution. Multi-layer technology that allows a ball to spin less off the driver but more off the scoring irons and around the greens is just phenomenal.

From an innovation standpoint, I think it is the use of exotic, or at least un-thought of, non-traditional materials in both balls and clubs. Titanium, carbon fiber, a variety of steel alloys in irons, and graphene just to name a few.

I would say the ping g400 max driver head.

Back