cutting driver shaft to fairway length without tipping

golfcrazy1

Reaction score
Handicap
9.2 ghin
if you cut a driver shaft down with tipping how does that effect flex

thanx

Really depends shaft and the bend profile. Typically if you tip it half inch I think it's a third of flex stiffer, granted you account for the swing weight to make the shaft load in the same manner.

I may be wrong so take this for what it is worth - I think it'd make the shaft softer. I think the tip trim is done to keep a similar level of stiffness.

Dave

Really depends shaft and the bend profile. Typically if you tip it half inch I think it's a third of flex stiffer, granted you account for the swing weight to make the shaft load in the same manner.

I generally tip trim almost every one of my driver shafts, I feel I am lowereing the bend point, but also making a little stiffer, where did you find a tip trimming chart for changing flex, and how do you account for the swing weight difference, wouldn't it be the same if you butt trimmed it?

I generally tip trim almost every one of my driver shafts, I feel I am lowereing the bend point, but also making a little stiffer, where did you find a tip trimming chart for changing flex, and how do you account for the swing weight difference, wouldn't it be the same if you butt trimmed it?
I don't have any charts... just some experience and a lot of info from a very well known builder. Generally speaking, when you tip. 5 inch you are making it stiffer by default ( using a thicker, stiffer portion of the shaft). You are also decreasing swing weight by 3 points so without head weight adjustment it will play even stiffer due to less weight not loading the shaft as much. To get it back to desired stiffness, let's say 1/3 flex stiffer, you'd need to add 6g of weight to the head.

There are charts out there that measures stiffness by formula involving swingweight, shaft length and cpm. I don't have it on hand.

Tipping 1/2" changes the flex about a half a flex. Most companies have a chart online that shows how much to tip.

i have a diamond red 50 x5ct r driver shaft from that came with my 915 driver. didn't care for shaft [like my oban more] and thought i'd put it in a 915 16.5 fairway to see it would kick the ball up a little
if you talk me out of it i'll put it out sale
thanx

I am contemplating the same thing. I have a Ping G15 driver which I replaced the shaft. I have the stock regular shaft and have debated either getting a new driver head, or driver head with more loft, cutting the top an inch and making sort of a 2 wood or strong 3 wood. I dont want to buy a golf works head and keep checking ebay for a g20 or g25 head so I can try it. Right now thats a little expensive experiment and am waiting for the golf expo in Philadelphia next month so i can get fitted for correctly. I am going to a local gym where they have trackman and want to take my current driver and wood readings and see what i can find at the expo. If someone can show me better numbers on an existing driver maybe I will get a new one but I hit my driver well, just not much more difference then my 3 wood. Also my driver is 9 degree and i seem to hit it very high.

if you cut a driver shaft down with tipping how does that effect flex

thanx

Always cut from the butt. Shafts are made to be butt trimmed which will have very little effect on flex. The only real change is in SW and only you will know if that matters.

I don't have any charts... just some experience and a lot of info from a very well known builder. Generally speaking, when you tip. 5 inch you are making it stiffer by default ( using a thicker, stiffer portion of the shaft). You are also decreasing swing weight by 3 points so without head weight adjustment it will play even stiffer due to less weight not loading the shaft as much. To get it back to desired stiffness, let's say 1/3 flex stiffer, you'd need to add 6g of weight to the head. There are charts out there that measures stiffness by formula involving swingweight, shaft length and cpm. I don't have it on hand.

What are some good ways to add head weight?

What are some good ways to add head weight?
Lead tape to start. Where you apply the weight can affect head performance. One it's to your liking, you can have hotmelt added to the location of your preference (heel/toe)

Back