On line teachers; who has had success?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
For years I’ve watched member after member migrate to one of the many online teachers. I don’t see a ton of success stories, especially from those that jump around looking for a magic cure.
I’d like to know who has seen great success vs minor success. And what teacher are you committed to or committed to at this moment.

I only have the online coaching aa i won a years membership. I won't be renewing because I'm not engaged enough in it. I haven't taken lessons yet, but when I do they will surely be in person.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Shawn Clement is the first teacher that comes to mind. Love his work and his take on the game.
Puts things in easy parts so you can put it together on your own.

For years I’ve watched member after member migrate to one of the many online teachers. I don’t see a ton of success stories, especially from those that jump around looking for a magic cure.
I’d like to know who has seen great success vs minor success. And what teacher are you committed to or committed to at this moment.

I resemble this remark and even posted a thread about it recently, Online vs Live. I tried quite a few but the one that I truly saw improvement from was Mike Malaska. I am now taking lessons from my club's head pro and I wish I had done it sooner.

The problem with online is no matter how much you THINK you are doing the same thing as the instructor, chances are that you are not. Unfortunately there is no one is there to correct you so you continue to do them incorrectly.

I learned everything I know watching YouTube vids. I don't know if that's good or bad, but the Pro at the range that teaches our daughter says I have a pretty stable swing and good grip.

I have noticed great improvements in my ball striking since last year and my score is steadily improving. Still haven't broken 100 but am much more confident in my game every time I play.

Can't really say I have an online "teacher". I just browse YouTube looking for fixes in what I perceive to be wrong when things go off the rails.

I haven’t tried anything online. But one of my close friends has taken online lessons from potters putting on Instagram. His putting has flipped on its head and he’s making everything in sight

Sent from HTX

Oh...you've opened a can of worms Freddie. A subject about which I am extremely passionate, in addition to the rules of golf. (And everyone rolls their eyes)

Fair Warning: Many of you are not going to believe me. At all. When you've learned a certain way, it's very hard to accept there could be another way.

As everyone knows, I'm a HUGE fan of Shawn Clement.

I started watching his videos many years ago. What he said made sense. But I wasn't seeing much improvement. In fact, for a while, I resorted to a local instructor. However, that instructor (whom I really like and respect) got me so focused on body parts, I was frustrated to the point where I briefly even contemplated whether I should give up the game. I'd go work on the drills and hit 200 balls and maybe hit 30 well. He told me to "Keep at it. Sometimes it takes a year or more to ingrain a new move." I had resigned myself that he was right and I'd just have to devote hundreds of hours shanking balls on the range and shooting 110+ plus for a year or more.

A few days later Shawn came to town for a clinic and stayed with me. I told him of my struggles and he said, "go get a club." We stepped into the backyard and within 5 swings he had fixed my swing fault. I also showed him my then 14-year old daughter's swing, who with no exaggeration, made Charles Barkley look good. Within 20 minutes he had her totally transformed with a beautiful swing. From that day I became convinced that Shawn knew exactly what he was talking about and his method of learning the golf swing was FAR better suited for me, and probably a LOT of other golfers.

What Shawn taught me and her is things that natural athletes and good golfers already know (but having learned it a harder way). You know you're supposed to let the club swing with momentum to a target out there. You know you're not supposed to manipulate the club and try to place it on the ball. You know your best swings come when you swing freely without fear, and your worst come when you try to "make sure" something doesn't happen. You know it's not your job to hit the dang ball. I think many very good golfers forget what it was like to not know those things. I also think many golf instructors forget to teach these things because they assume every golfer knows them.

Shawn's stuff works. Absolutely, 100%, it works. It HAS to. It's just anatomy, physics, and a stress on scientifically-validated motor learning techniques. If it's not working, you're misunderstanding. Or, as in my case, you're thinking you're doing what he says, but not actually doing it at all.

My ball contact and ball flight are SO much better than when many of you saw me back in some of the Atlanta events, the Morgan Cup, the Gauntlet, etc. The lightbulb has turned on for what Shawn had been trying to teach me in his videos. It's really night and day. I've experienced things I had never experienced before (or only by accident) such as proper release, compression, and lag. Things really good golfers take for granted.

So of course now, the question comes. "Wade, if Shawn is so good, why aren't you a sub-10 handicap? Why do you still have rounds in the 90s?"

Mainly playing time. I often only play once or twice a month. I don't care what method you use to learn, if you only play once or twice a month, having a sub-10 handicap is going to be a struggle. Almost every sub-10 handicap I've ever come across plays at least once a week. Many of them play 2-3 times a week. And I certainly admit I'm still learning how to keep proper focus and not make dumb decisions on the course. Most of my rounds are in the 80s, and they're trending towards the low 80s.

I will caveat however, as I often do, that I think learning totally from videos is dangerous. As I learned early on, you might think you're doing what the instructor says in the video, but you're not actually coming close. You get frustrated and think "this guy sucks" and switch to another, when it's your understanding that was actually at fault.

I think at least semi-regular checkpoints are necessary so the instructor can make sure you're applying the lessons properly. Obviously in-person sessions are the best, but if you've adopted an instructor from whom you're geographically distant, at least a video analysis can be helpful. I've watched Shawn analyze submitted videos and it's pretty amazing to watch him figure out which concepts are not being applied correctly by what he sees in the swing.

Again, many of you are not going to believe me that mechanics can be altered simply by changing your focus. You went through the pain of 12-18 months on the driving range trying to ingrain a new move and by God, that's how it's done. But your body and brain are amazing things. For example, if you tell your brain to throw the club to a target, you will not come over the top. You can't. Your brain won't let you because you'd throw the club into the ground. Realization of what my brain and body were capable of have opened a whole new world of golf learning for me.

I'm happy to elaborate on any points anyone would like. (Fair warning #2 - I'm passionate)

nothing serious. I search YouTube for better understanding of what and why but never rely on it for solutions to my game.

I search IG for your swing when ever possible

I haven't taken "lessons" online, but have picked up thoughts or pieces that have helped me improve. I took a lot of lessons in person too and they can be just as fruitless as barking up the wrong "online golf video" tree.

Taking the Shawn Clement example above, if I "swing" to the target I get a flip hook. But his thoughts on swinging like you would a hammer has helped me a lot and is part of why I can swing my driver over 120 mph. Having 75 to 130 yards (GW or less) in on most par 4's helps with scoring a lot.

Malaska is another good one. I specifically like his thoughts on putting and how the downswing should start/feel. Getting rid of lines (ball and putter) and allowing my subconscious to help has knocked 5 strokes off my putting average. I've had numerous rounds of under 30 putts since making the transition. Now if I could only hit more greens or chip/pitch better I'd really be in business.

I'm not really committed to any one of them, but online instructors I like are Shawn Clement, Mike Malaska, Cameron McCormick, and Tony Luczak - in no particular order. I don't think any of them really push a "system" either, just thoughts/techniques they have found to bring many golfers success.

I've been taking lessons with Aaron Olson online for over a year now and I'd say I've had a fair amount of success. I knew of him when I was in Monterey, but he moved to Phoenix a few months back and is working with Tour Striker again. I like his coaching style and we communicate regularly using CoachNow and via phone/text as well. The success I've had is more in my swing transforming into one where I'm not trying to muscle the ball everywhere, and it actually looks pretty damn good! My scores have fluctuated (some months worse than others), but that's to be expected when you're trying to improve! My biggest issue is just lack of real practice time. I do the best I can, but I think my swing would be much more grooved if I was at the range and playing a few times a week. I make do with the time I do have though and I'm happy with where I'm at. Online lessons aren't for everyone, that's for sure. It requires a different level of commitment IMO and you have to be focused on what you're trying to achieve.

As far as my swing goes, here's a pic of when I started working with Aaron (top) and where I'm currently at. Garage swings FTW!

s0Mjh4Zl.jpg

The only online coaching I've ever received was when I had asked you for some advice on my swing video. It actually helped me get through a slump at the time so I'd say it was successful!

I have not gone to an online instructor, for dedicated instruction.

The closest I've gone to an online instructor is here on THP with FK and it has helped me with a couple swing and practice issues.

Back