What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Got in a round last Wednesday (Had to take advntage of 50 degree temps), and put the Callaway SuperSoft into play looking for a good "Winter Ball" and this ball simply perfprms!
Despite the lower temps, I was still seeing good feel, good distance, and actually Decent greenside spin.

This ball is so good, and fits a good range of golfers. Sitting around $20/doz doesnt hurt either, its a solid ball all around including pricepoint.

Played Duo yesterday for nine holes. IME this still sets the bar for the best all around two piece ball. Solid off the tee, approach shots had plenty of spin, sometimes enough to get some draw back. Good roll off the putter.

Incredibly solid ball for twenty bucks.

New chrome soft. S'good.

Srixon Z-Star yellow the past 3 rounds, all under 80. Performing really well, I might have to pick up another box.

I've only just started playing with brand new balls, I've been pkaying cheap lake balls but now I've started losing less I bought the cheapest new balls I could find, Dunlop DDH, 2 boxes of 15 for £12. Flew much straighter and further than the knackered old ones I've been using!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Played 9 holes with the yellow Duo today. It was nice being able to find my ball in the leaves a few times, but as I found out when I tossed my son one to re-hit on the tee, they don't seem to float. Still, great feel as always with the Duo, love playing them.

Chrome soft. Great ball!

Some pos nike. .trying to empty the crap out of the bag

Prov1. I buy recycled ones from Walmart got $15 a dozen.

Callaway Hex Hot Pro -
I got these balls two years ago thru some special, they have not been taken out of the box.
Good spin w irons and wedges (I hit a 4 iron that actually rolled back about a foot, most likely due to the slope of the green, and I got a wedge to spin back about 6 feet), felt good off of the driver and irons all day, I kept it in play. Green side spin was a little lacking (expected) and it seemed a little soft off the putter.

330 s can't find a ball I like better than the 330 line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 holes each with the duo prototype, project (a) 2015, and B330-rx.

I started off with the prototype duo. The prototype duo is an excellent ball, but for me can get a bit "spinny", and lose some distance, especially off the tee. I can't argue with its performance on approach shots and around the green, it's definitely sticky and stops quick.

The project (a) got the next six holes and it was ok but nothing special. It stayed near its pitch mark on approach but definitely rolled out more than the duo. It was a little better off the tee on less than optimal strikes.

I finished up with the B330-rx and found it to be the best all around performer for me today. Better from the tee than the first two and it was close enough to the duo on approach and short game holding power to give it the overall edge today.

Plenty of great balls in the $30-40 range and the upcoming duo is going to be a great ball for a lot of players.

Last edited:
Callaway Hex Control. It plays really well. It's too bad they don't have a current ball in their line up like it.

Won a sleeve of NXT Tour Titleists for a NTP last week, played one this week and absolutely killed it with the driver... no idea why coming from ProV1x which is what I've been using last 8 or 10 rounds... surprising results.

Callaway Hex Control. It plays really well. It's too bad they don't have a current ball in their line up like it.

You can still find these at some Costco stores. Saw a big stack of them on sale for $25 yesterday.

i played the wilson duos for most of the front 9 on friday, and lost all 3 pretty quickly. switched back to chromesoft and didn't lose any. i also saw less spin off the duo than i would like. so sticking with chromesoft for now.

for those with lots of ball knowledge, the fitter at the annika academy said that chromesoft is very low spin off the driver, almost too low spin. is that accurate? what's a good mid-spin ball off the longer clubs that will still spin nice and sexy on approach shots and short-game shots?

Played the Wilson Duo for the first time, good ball for me. Didn't lose one the entire round.

for those with lots of ball knowledge, the fitter at the annika academy said that chromesoft is very low spin off the driver, almost too low spin. is that accurate? what's a good mid-spin ball off the longer clubs that will still spin nice and sexy on approach shots and short-game shots?

What is your definition of "nice and sexy"?
Srixon Z star spins huge w irons on the greens. Z star XV less. Both were good w driver.
I have not had sustained success w chrome soft but I have w Duo Spin, Monsta, B330 line and ProV1x.

What is your definition of "nice and sexy"?
Srixon Z star spins huge w irons on the greens. Z star XV less. Both were good w driver.
I have not had sustained success w chrome soft but I have w Duo Spin, Monsta, B330 line and ProV1x.

i don't want a well-struck shot rolling out more than a few feet. that's what i found with the duo, just too much release for what i prefer.

i tried the z star a year or two ago and really liked it. i didn't like the xv at all. i also don't really care for prov1, though i've never played the x.

b330 is nice. i played rx for awhile, but i like chromesoft better. i guess i'll stick with chromesoft for now.

thanks!

i don't want a well-struck shot rolling out more than a few feet. that's what i found with the duo, just too much release for what i prefer.

i tried the z star a year or two ago and really liked it. i didn't like the xv at all. i also don't really care for prov1, though i've never played the x.

b330 is nice. i played rx for awhile, but i like chromesoft better. i guess i'll stick with chromesoft for now.

thanks!
I found the duo has plenty of stick, however I typically do hit a high approach shot into the green.

thanks!
Makes sense that the Duo rolls out a bit - it is not a classically soft cover ball.
I found the Zstar XV balls were pretty good. Zstar just had too much spin with my wedges.
Have you tried the Titleist NXT Tour balls? or the Bridgestone E7 balls? I have had good results with Monsta balls, as well as with many others, but I can put some serious spin on my irons and wedges.
However, if the ChromeSoft balls work for you, stick with those.

Back