The Relocation Thread

This is correct we pretty much play year round except for a few days here and there.

The area is outstanding I personally wouldn't limit yourself to just Cary and morrisville living wise but both are very nice. Some surrounding towns (Apex, Holly springs, wake forest) have a ton to offer and are relatively close so many options there.

Tons of great restaurants around , decent shopping.

If you have any specific questions just let me know.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Which areas are for the "poor folks" that's the area I'd need to be in? LOL

I'd be ok with golf year round minus a few days. I mean I could probably survive.

The office is in Cary, so I'd want to be no more than about 30 minutes drive time from the office.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Which areas are for the "poor folks" that's the area I'd need to be in? LOL

I'd be ok with golf year round minus a few days. I mean I could probably survive.

The office is in Cary, so I'd want to be no more than about 30 minutes drive time from the office.

Renting an apartment or buying a house? 30 minutes puts most of this area in play. I work in the morrisville/Cary area(west side of Raleigh) but live on the east side of Raleigh and still only have a 30-35 minute commute

I lived in Cary for 7 years, we loved it there and the weather is generally pretty good all year round. Very few weekends would I miss a round of golf. The neighborhoods are great, the people are great, the public schools are beyond awful and the sidewalks roll in early. It's a great place to raise a family if you are prepared to pay for private school. If you are young and looking for alot of things to do, not so much. My wife and I couldn't truly appreciate how our world changed when we moved to Dallas, having zero shortage of things to do any night of the week. Having said that I still own a 1.5 acre lot at MacGregor Downs in Cary and when I no longer need to educate children there is a pretty good chance that I'll build a house on it and take advantage of that membership I'm still paying on each month (albeit out of state).
The nightlife has gotten much much better imo just from the time j moved here 4 years ago until now. Tons to do on any night of the week now )although not like Dallas it is also not as big as Dallas)

The nightlife has gotten much much better imo just from the time j moved here 4 years ago until now. Tons to do on any night of the week now )although not like Dallas it is also not as big as Dallas)

Good to hear - in my day it was Sullivan's, Angus Barn or go to bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renting an apartment or buying a house? 30 minutes puts most of this area in play. I work in the morrisville/Cary area(west side of Raleigh) but live on the east side of Raleigh and still only have a 30-35 minute commute

IF it happened, we'd probably rent at first, just to make sure we really liked the area, plus my wife would need to find a job so money would be a little tight for a bit.

That is unless we found a great deal on a house and we were able to sell our house here in Ohio.

Maybe JB would be interested in it as a get away house. I know his affection for Ohio.

I've been in the Raleigh area since '91 so if you have any questions just shoot. I'm now in Holly Springs after having lived in North Raleigh by the airport for the past 10 year. I commute to Durham for work and it still only takes me 30 minutes.

FYI it's going to be 70 this weekend!

Any idea what the Cary/Morrisville, NC area is like this time of year? And later into the winter. Company has job opening there. I'd have to relocate from Ohiotopia though. But there's not much holding me to the area.
I lived in Cary meant years ago and really liked the area. As others have said, very nice area. Six have friends it there and my wife's family live in the area.
Go check it out yourself one weekend. I think you would enjoy the area. 3 hours to the beach, close to the mountains. Great golf locally and fantastic golf just to the south in the Pinehurst area.

I lived in Cary meant years ago and really liked the area. As others have said, very nice area. Six have friends it there and my wife's family live in the area.
Go check it out yourself one weekend. I think you would enjoy the area. 3 hours to the beach, close to the mountains. Great golf locally and fantastic golf just to the south in the Pinehurst area.

Ah Pinehurst, can't tell you how many times I snuck down to Pinehurst for a some Pine Needles action on a warm fall or winter day, less then a hour drive.

Ah Pinehurst, can't tell you how many times I snuck down to Pinehurst for a some Pine Needles action on a warm fall or winter day, less then a hour drive.
Wish I had played golf when I lived there. Probably would have never left the area.

Wish I had played golf when I lived there. Probably would have never left the area.

The perk of great golf certainly made it tough to leave. I miss the quality and character of the courses, it's great being isolated on a hole amongst tall pine trees.

I just stumbled onto this thread and read all 14 pages. Great topic.

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of moving to middle Tennessee for a year or so now. I currently live in southwest Virginia where the economy hasn't recovered in the slightest and our communities are dwindling away. Home values, including ours, have plummeted to levels equivalent to the mid 90's. We visit Tennessee often, know the area well and really like it. With two kids in elementary school, education is important to us. Areas east and south of Nashville tend to have great schools and communities that support school related functions and activities.

Golf is important but not nearly as important as my family. Most of our closest friends have already relocated out of the area taking their children, our children's friends, with them. We sort of feel isolated and surrounded by the elderly. I don't say that to sound harsh or ungrateful for what I have but most folks our age have or are in the process of leaving. The average age of the region has increased by 8 years since the 2010 census. Schools are being closed to accommodate smaller numbers of students. Its sad really, this is where we grew up. Meth has also overtaken the region so crime has exploded across this region.

We are planning another "scouting" trip for preferred neighborhoods in March.

I need some information on Philadelphia. A new position came up that would require me to relocate to Philadelphia. I don't know much about the city (only been there once or twice). Does anyone know of good places to live for young professionals? Or places to avoid?

I need some information on Philadelphia. A new position came up that would require me to relocate to Philadelphia. I don't know much about the city (only been there once or twice). Does anyone know of good places to live for young professionals? Or places to avoid?

I grew up in Philly, was there until 94, moved away for 4 years, then was back from 98 through 03. Grew up in Philly, lived in South Jersey (Medford) during my last tour of duty. Still travel back a few times a year. As a YP I believe the city is better then it has ever been for downtown living options, entertainment and accessibility to the labor market. When I grew up it was a dump and the sidewalks rolled in by 6, now it's a much more active and vibrant environment after dark.

I posted this in another thread but my wife and I are considering moving to Charlotte. She has family down there and I want to move out of Mass at some point in my life. I've started to do some research on the construction market in Charlotte and it looks promising. Anyone have any info on Charlotte, traffic, schools, good areas vs. bad areas, the construction market?

I posted this in another thread but my wife and I are considering moving to Charlotte. She has family down there and I want to move out of Mass at some point in my life. I've started to do some research on the construction market in Charlotte and it looks promising. Anyone have any info on Charlotte, traffic, schools, good areas vs. bad areas, the construction market?

I lived just north of there in Huntersville a few years back. Good schools in that area, in the actual Charlotte area it is hit and miss. LOTS AND LOTS of new construction in the area with subdivisions

As a former NC resident I'd recommend you do a ton of research on schools, it really is hit or miss and because of some incredibly bizarre busing policies that are in place you can't be assured of your kids going to the right school. We had our girls in private school while we were there. I have friends in the Charlotte area with grade and high school age kids, all are in private school. I'm not a private school snob (my youngest is in public HS), its just I found the NC schools to be abysmal largely because of the influx of illegals into the state. The schools teach down, not up.

As a former NC resident I'd recommend you do a ton of research on schools, it really is hit or miss and because of some incredibly bizarre busing policies that are in place you can't be assured of your kids going to the right school. We had our girls in private school while we were there. I have friends in the Charlotte area with grade and high school age kids, all are in private school. I'm not a private school snob (my youngest is in public HS), its just I found the NC schools to be abysmal largely because of the influx of illegals into the state. The schools teach down, not up.
It's pretty much like everywhere else if you are in a wealthier area the better the schools. That said you do have to do your research on which of those areas are the best. But many good public schools in the state but also some very bad ones just like everywhere else

It's pretty much like everywhere else if you are in a wealthier area the better the schools. That said you do have to do your research on which of those areas are the best. But many good public schools in the state but also some very bad ones just like everywhere else

Agreed but I'll give you a weird example of the busing problem. You are a Raleigh guy so you'll know the area. Go over to Prestonwood in Cary (inarguably an affluent area), you can live off a Davis Drive and if your house is pointed in the wrong direction (they call it a nod if I recall correctly) then you may find your child going to a school in Morrisville or Apex. Then to add insult to injury the school board reserves the right to decide annually which school your child will be going to. It's just a weird situation.

Agreed but I'll give you a weird example of the busing problem. You are a Raleigh guy so you'll know the area. Go over to Prestonwood in Cary (inarguably an affluent area), you can live off a Davis Drive and if your house is pointed in the wrong direction (they call it a nod if I recall correctly) then you may find your child going to a school in Morrisville or Apex. Then to add insult to injury the school board reserves the right to decide annually which school your child will be going to. It's just a weird situation.
I actually think they are redistricting again which is crazy but with the rapid growth of the area is almost unavoidable. That said they have proposals and approval for a TON of new schools to be built in the next couple years which is supposed to make the school assignments a bit better.

I'm getting some chatter at work that they might be considering moving me to our Pottsville, PA facility, since they need some program management resources out there. Would be nice from a family standpoint, as they're only 1.5-2 hours away in South Jersey from there, but the flip side is there isn't a lot out there and some of the areas seem pretty run down. Anyone have experience with the area? I know the hill country up there is really pretty in fall and spring, and at least there is some skiing for me (even if it's pretty lame).

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Well it appears we are going to make the move to the Charlotte area probably between April and June. We are looking at the Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Denver, concord area.

What are your feelings on those areas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother has lived in Cornelius for 14 years. He loves the area and has three kids in the school system. The middle and high school are both less than 5 years old. The high school is Hough. I can't remember the name of the middle school.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I currently live in Huntersville. There are some good elementary and middle schools in the area, but the high schools leave a bit to be desired. Cornelius is slightly better. Davidson primary schools are very good. There is tons of new construction going on everywhere around Charlotte. Traffic flows on 77 can be heavy, but if you have spent time up north, you are probably used to it.

For the young professional in Philly.... Manayunk, Fairmount, Society Hill, Graduate Hospital, Conshohocken. All depends on where you work. All are nice safe places.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back