Today's Magical Thought(s)

Go4it

No layin' up!
Reaction score
Handicap
After being around enough amature golfers I know that we all find a swing thought or feel that takes your game to another level (perhaps only for one round.) Its that thought you add to your journal or your notes on your phone...

I have been writing down these things for a while now..and it is interesting how many times they will repeat over time, because I forgot about them...its also intersting to know that some of my buddies have logged the same notes..even though we have not talked about them.

What is your latest swing thought and how does it impact your swing?

My latest is making sure my head stays closer to my right foot through impact and opening my hips enough to allow my wrist to be flat or a bit bowed at impact.

This has helped me lower my trajectory and imprve my distance.

I am sure this will change tomorrow when I hit the range... :)

When I swing my driver I think to myself before I start: "Swing to a Balance Finish"
it slows me down and allows me to swing "In Control"

When I swing my driver I think to myself before I start: "Swing to a Balance Finish"
it slows me down and allows me to swing "In Control"

I think I had that one about 8 months ago....I like it!

My latest swing thought (I prefer to call them mental reminders) is to have a bit of lag in my back swing before beginning downswing. It makes a difference for me.

"Firm grip, push with the left hand, chin to shoulder."

My latest backswing thought is creating the "L" shape with my arms and the club and then turn my shoulders. I take it back slow, make sure the butt end of the club is pointing to the ball with my arms parallel to the ground and the club perpendicular to the ground, and then turn my shoulders so my back is facing the target. From there i bump and swing through to a finish. Going well at the range sessions I have had this week, but still not totally comfortable on the course just yet. But when i do it right, i'm making excellent contact!

Just so everyone knows, it is OK to steal someone else's swing thought!!!

:banana:

I do the same as the OP stated. Have a bunch written down in my notes and every-time I notice something I need to do I wrote down more.

Currently and most challenging for me is slowing it down.

“Backswing-let the club fall after full extension. Initiate the downswing with the pressing of the left heel.

-Slow it down!!! Watch your tempo!! Let the club fall before you transition”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we were at Top Golf last weekend I started smoking my irons, something I've been struggling with mightily lately. I think hitting off the mats really made me focus on hitting ball first and magically fixed part of my issue. So last night I just kept trying to act like I was hitting off of a mat and it seemed to help.

I don't do swing thoughts which involve a body part or mechanics. I focus on a task. My task is to cut the grass towards my intermediate point with effortless momentum.

Give your brain a task and stay with that task throughout the swing, and your body will respond with amazing regularity.

My main swing thought is keep temp slow and full turn. I don't think too much as it messes with my brain

I took up golf late in life...and I think the biggest difference between my struggles and the guys that have been playing their whole lives is tension.

It is amazing how difficult it is to get rid of tension on the course. I can do it on the range, but on the course it is a deeper challenge.

Lots of my notes on swing thoughts in the past refer to RELAXING...loose wrists, light grip, slow tention free turn etc.....

Constant struggle!

My typical swing thought is "Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please . . . "

Other than that I try to focus on a smooth tempo and staying balanced.

Just so everyone knows, it is OK to steal someone else's swing thought!!!

:banana:

Its called re-utilize

no stealing needed

I only have one thought, and it's just prior to my swing: slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

I only have one thought, and it's just prior to my swing: slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

I just heard this one last week, I really like the thought of it...makes sense...I am sure it helps your tempo.

My current one is double check your grip. Back foot at a 90 degree angle to the target and the left foot angled slightly towards the target. Then I have to remind to rotate through the swing to square up the face.

My two thoughts for the last few rounds are: Shift weight to the left on the downswing, and "feel the clubhead."
"

I just heard this one last week, I really like the thought of it...makes sense...I am sure it helps your tempo.

It does, though that is not the original application of the phrase (I picked it up a long time ago in another lifetime, and only recently did I think of it as applicable to golf).

Finish the back swing and fire

My current one is double check your grip. Back foot at a 90 degree angle to the target and the left foot angled slightly towards the target. Then I have to remind to rotate through the swing to square up the face.

Gold!

It does, though that is not the original application of the phrase (I picked it up a long time ago in another lifetime, and only recently did I think of it as applicable to golf).

Straight up army quote I bet.

I actively try to AVOID thinking about swing mechanics since I’m an analysis-paralysis guy.

Instead, before addressing the ball, I’ll stand behind it to line up my shot. Then I visualize the shot I want to hit.

Once I have a good picture of it, I hit “play” (mentally) on a song and let it play in my head while I address the ball and hit my shot. The song varies from day to day.

"Don't shank it like last time you big fat dummy"

Generally what I'm thinking when I swing.

Back