Nike Covert Tour Driver Users

rch_hacker

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for advice. Been playing the Covert 1.0 Tour Driver since 2015 and love it.... mainly the penetrating trajectory / low spin ( I have a steep swing and produce tons of spin). But I feel I'm missing on distance and forgiveness with the newest technologies. With Nike out of business, what are some good substitutes within the modern equipment?. I use a Kurokage 60-S shaft.

Look forward for some suggestions

Paging @ddec - he had this one in the bag for a long time.

And so it begins. You will be on a forever journey to find that unicorn. I'm a firm believer in keeping playing with what works but your money and your game are yours to do with what you want. Newer does not guarantee more forgiving but that's part of the fun of being an equipment junkie. Heck, you can find an older driver that's more forgiving. Contrary to the OEM's marketing, golf technology does not evolve that damn fast that a driver that's 4 or 5 years old is going to be obsolete. Some people here get pissed when they buy version 2.0 of some random club and then version 3.0 comes out 3 months later and they think they're somehow losing out on some fascinating technology. Ok, enough rambling. To answer your question, I still have the Covert 1.0 and it plays just as well as my M2 (some will even say that the M2 is a dinosaur).

And so it begins. You will be on a forever journey to find that unicorn. I'm a firm believer in keeping playing with what works but your money and your game are yours to do with what you want. Newer does not guarantee more forgiving but that's part of the fun of being an equipment junkie. Heck, you can find an older driver that's more forgiving. Contrary to the OEM's marketing, golf technology does not evolve that damn fast that a driver that's 4 or 5 years old is going to be obsolete. Some people here get pissed when they buy version 2.0 of some random club and then version 3.0 comes out 3 months later and they think they're somehow losing out on some fascinating technology. Ok, enough rambling. To answer your question, I still have the Covert 1.0 and it plays just as well as my M2 (some will even say that the M2 is a dinosaur).

I found the M2 Driver to be overhyped...like a lot of Taylormade products...(Irons and Fairways not included lol)

I found the M2 Driver to be overhyped...like a lot of Taylormade products...(Irons and Fairways not included lol)

Yeah well, that might be true but that's not the point of the topic, it's to answer whether the Covert needs to be replaced and my answer is not necessarily.

Gosh I miss my Vapor Pro...

Yeah well, that might be true but that's not the point of the topic, it's to answer whether the Covert needs to be replaced and my answer is not necessarily.

You’re correct. It doesn’t right now. After 5 years, probably though.

You’re correct. It doesn’t right now. After 5 years, probably though.

Rick Shiels did a Driver test for TM’s last five years of Driver products recently. Very little change with distance/accuracy with his fitted shaft. About 5 yards If I recall correctly. So you’re correct in your assessment. Driver tech with a correct shaft doesn’t change that much because every company is pushing the USGA limits every year.

Rick Shiels did a Driver test for TM’s last five years of Driver products recently. Very little change with distance/accuracy with his fitted shaft. About 5 yards If I recall correctly. So you’re correct in your assessment. Driver tech with a correct shaft doesn’t change that much because every company is pushing the USGA limits every year.

Don’t think anyone is really arguing that most drivers are maximized as far as distance in center hits as far as ball speed. Distance on mishits though? That seems to get better and better as products are released.

Don’t think anyone is really arguing that most drivers are maximized as far as distance in center hits as far as ball speed. Distance on mishits though? That seems to get better and better as products are released.

Correct. The SLDR was actually longer in this particular test than today’s tech. But it’s forgiveness was - and is - crap lol.

Correct. The SLDR was actually longer in this particular test than today’s tech. But it’s forgiveness was - and is - crap lol.

Yeah you had to be an already high speed/high spin player to not really be hurt by that one too much on mishits. Catch the center of the face though and oh man, bombs for days.

Back