Blades Vs Cavity Back

Paper or plastic?

Play the damn clubs that make you want to hit it again.

I play blades, older blades at that, because I play can and I play very well with them.

right on. I guess my question is why someone "should" play blades. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't play blades, I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are as to why someone should beyond "because they can" and/or "because they want to."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I should have titled the post differently. I wasn't trying to go into a forged versus cast debate. And after reading and learning more about the different golf clubs that have been discussed throughout this thread. It really wasn't a blade vs Muscle back vs cavity back vs cast or forging issue that raised my curiosity.

It was rather a question of whether a player's club with little forgiveness but increased feedback versus a super forgiving but decreased feedback club could help me best continue to learn and improve.

I had found that with the SGI or GI clubs I had use before I often had great success and results which masked my swing flaws. But I had never owned a blade or muscle back golf clubs so I reached out to get the opinions of the THP community.

So far the THP had not disappointed and I have already learned a ton.

I have also lost most of my fears regarding blades, and while I may never take them out on the course I do find them a good learning tool.

I am not rewarded for a poor swing like a cavity back might have. I also can tell exactly where I'm hitting the ball. High. Low. Toe or heel on the club face.

This has already started to improve my swing, My release And my ball contact with my cavity back GI clubs. The XR Pro's are still my gamers. And unless the Mizuno MP -5 can be tamed the XR Pro's or maybe this year's Apex CF16 irons will be in my bag for Game Day scoring.

But I can also see why Ben Hogan or any of the great ball strikers became great ball strikers after practicing with the Mp-5's.

It was sink or swing. Swing flaws weren't hidden from plain sight. So either they were going to work their tails offs and develop into great ball strikers or they would have remained unknown men.

That being said. I also realized I am not one of the most gifted golfers to have ever lived. Like most amateur golfers, I will never have the hand to eye coordination or exceptional athletic ability the great ones possessed. Therefore day in day out I need the most forgiving golf clubs legally allowed by the USGA.

So. For now. I'm enjoying the forgiveness of a GI, XR Pro's, cavity back irons to keep my scores down and my swing flaws hidden from view on the golf course. And the Muscle Back, Mizuno MP -5's, Blades for swing improvements on the practice range. Where knowledge and treatment of swing flaws are reaping the rewards of making me a better ball striker and golfer.

A toast to lower scores and great companionship on and off the course.

JR

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Play what makes you happy.

If you can get the contact you want out of a blade and really like the look then play it. It may cost you a few strokes around, but who cares. I can't even remember who who this year's club championship, so unless you make your paycheck from it, no one cares.

If you want to score your best you will probably play the most forgiving iron you can stand that gives you a decent ball flight. A lot of pros use a cavity, which says to me your average joe would probably play better. But if hitting that perfect shot with a blade, that feels awesome, is why you play... play what makes you happy.

right on. I guess my question is why someone "should" play blades. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't play blades, I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are as to why someone should beyond "because they can" and/or "because they want to."

It's about the level of forgiveness your swing will allow. For someone that plays blades well, plays them know their tolerance for the little forgiveness provided. This makes them better shot makers because they control the spin, the flight and direction. It's a decision they made for their games.

Put a GI club in their hand, they get explosive distance, the spin provided by the club and false positives on miss hits due to the added forgiveness.

I'm speaking strictly of people that can actual play blades. Not people that hit a few good shots and think they know.

I came from RSI O/S irons/90gm T-Ultralite shafts to MP 68's with x100 s/stepped x 1 and haven't looked back.

X100 ss 1x is a nice combo!, some others play/like S300 hard stepped. People don't know what they are missing!...I can hit all over the face with my Hogans and still hit greens. e.g a toe side miss should be short right, but because I am swinging through solid to a good finish I still hits greens and am perhaps only a few yards short. My center hits defy wind and give me 'lots' of birdie opps, then there is the kick in stellar shots too...cavities land 'some where' on the green

Last edited:
I disagree, there's are plenty who can and should play blades. Those who play them are NOT all ego.

People should play what they want, but the whole Forged is superior thing is comical in this day and age.

Forged is better than cast, JDM forged is premium...try miura, epon, vega, endo, fourteen etc...far better than US OEM (lesser quality), but cost a lot more $$

Good lord, back to the forged vs cast debate/

Others have said it, play what you like regardless of what the club is.

Forged is better than cast, JDM forged is premium...try miura, epon, vega, endo...far better than US OEM (lesser quality)
What qualifies forged as better?

Forged is better than cast, JDM forged is premium...try miura, epon, vega, endo, fourteen etc...far better than US OEM (lesser quality), but cost a lot more $$
Disagree. But, what do I know talking to manufacturers.

The thing about this that always amazes me is no one ever says don't play Forged, we are talking about Forged as a performance trait versus a feedback trait.

You're welcome to opinion and maybe you should change your name to ironbyron since your swing is flawless. But some of things you are claiming are a bit of stretch or misleading.

A toe side hit, toe side of the sweet spot won't penalize that Mitch. But toe side strikes will. There is huge difference. I played blades for years and I promise you I've seen these misses. I've also gotten the same 'butter 'feel from cast clubs. People that play cast aren't missing anything. It's about scoring and having fun. I rarely hear after rounds chats about how buttery people irons played.

Again people play what they want and if you can pure a blade, great.

You're welcome to opinion and maybe you should change your name to ironbyron since your swing is flawless. But some of things you are claiming are a bit of stretch or misleading.

A toe side hit, toe side of the sweet spot won't penalize that Mitch. But toe side strikes will. There is huge difference. I played blades for years and I promise you I've seen these misses. I've also gotten the same 'butter 'feel from cast clubs. People that play cast aren't missing anything. It's about scoring and having fun. I rarely hear after rounds chats about how buttery people irons played.

Again people play what they want and if you can pure a blade, great.
But I guess that is the holy grail of my question. I am wanting to play the clubs that can lead to the great improvement in my game. And this plan includes a healthy dose of practice and PGA level golf instructions with video and flightscope analysis.

So I really was wondering what is the best clubs to get better. Because these are the clubs that I would like to play and or practice with.

And quite honestly as an mid handicapped amateur I don't know if there is a clear cut answer.

But I often turn to the THP'ERS for advice prior to a major golfing purchase because usually, there is someone other there who knows. Who has gone down this road before. Who can show the way.

Because yes I can purchase clubs and sell them on Ebay. But having the THP community show me the way has been not only cheaper. But has really pointed me in the right direction and avoided some of my prior purchase and regrets. A syndrome we can all happily avoid.

And for those that just say go get fitted I can tell you from experience. That to go into a fitted with out having done your home is like buying a car online from a guy named Rip-off Charlie.

So. Thanks to all the THP community both professional and amateurs alike. Your input has improved my game and my enjoyment of golf.

So maybe it's not as simple as play what you like. When you can hear from experts who have been down this road and have the hard knocks to prove it.

But I guess that is the holy grail of my question. I am wanting to play the clubs that can lead to the great improvement in my game. And this plan includes a healthy dose of practice and PGA level golf instructions with video and flightscope analysis.

So I really was wondering what is the best clubs to get better. Because these are the clubs that I would like to play and or practice with.

And quite honestly as an mid handicapped amateur I don't know if there is a clear cut answer.

But I often turn to the THP'ERS for advice prior to a major golfing purchase because usually, there is someone other there who knows. Who has gone down this road before. Who can show the way.

Because yes I can purchase clubs and sell them on Ebay. But having the THP community show me the way has been not only cheaper. But has really pointed me in the right direction and avoided some of my prior purchase and regrets. A syndrome we can all happily avoid.

And for those that just say go get fitted I can tell you from experience. That to go into a fitted with out having done your home is like buying a car online from a guy named Rip-off Charlie.

So. Thanks to all the THP community both professional and amateurs alike. Your input has improved my game and my enjoyment of golf.

So maybe it's not as simple as play what you like. When you can hear from experts who have been down this road and have the hard knocks to prove it.

clubs will help only oh so much, good fundamentals & consistency is what will lead to improvement

I spent some time this week trying out the 716 AP1 and AP2. One set classed as "GI" and cast, the other set "Better Player" and forged. Both get the ball in the air, both go the distance I currently see my 7 iron going, both go short when not hit properly, both give feedback on mishits. In fact they did everything my 545's do. All this chatter about forged is better than cast I think with today's manufacturing techniques and materials there is nothing in it, other than price and the words forged stamped on the head. I've also spent time with the PSI 7 iron which is cast and felt a lot softer than either of the AP irons, (actually felt better than my 545's do) possibly due to the composite non forged dampening thing. I had this brief crazy moment looking at MP-55's kuro forged from Japan but at over 150 USD a club they stayed where they are.

Just play want you want to play and makes you happy playing. I was stuck behind 2 four balls of older Japanese gentlemen yesterday and spent time admiring their very nice forged clubs, OnOff, Miura, Fourteen etc etc. When they stepped onto the tee of a par 3 I didn't really admire them all missing the green, short, left, right but they seemed happy enough when they trundled off to find their balls. I don't think there are regular posters on here who's livelihoods depend on their golf scores, for the majority its a hobby to enjoy even if it is a obsessive one.

I ask all my students what the end game is when it comes to improvement. Just lowering the cap or you want to play professionally or do you just want to stop losing bets to the fellas or do just want to get better? What is your reason what is the end game for you.

I play weekend games with great guys some of which play clubs they shouldn't. And I get the same answer, ' I can't look at that thick top line' I say ok and keep taking their money. The other day one of them showers up with the Apex pros and played such a solid game. He was fit from the grip to the lie angle. He told me, he never knew what he was missing. He didn't give up any feel, shot making and gain trajectory and distance.

I'm not saying you should get apex pros but I am saying as a mid capper, you will benefit more from that type of iron than you will from a blade. And you can get forged GI club so it's the best of both worlds.

I have taught everyone from PGA tour pros to average joes to people that have no business playing golf. A small portion of those student really could play blades and play them well. Three guys on this forum are a few of those people. Most everyone else should be playing GI or SGI clubs.

The TM RSI tours, Srixon 745s, callaway Apex pros, Bridgestone DF iron or CBs are all great GI clubs. The cobra forged tech or the CB Kings also come to mind. I'm sure there are others. But at the end of the day you will play what catches your eye and what you think you can handle. So play what you want and try to have fun.

Better.......subjective at best.

QUOTE=caeleric;4159376]not at all trying to insinuate that i think you're wrong, just genuinely curious: who should play blades and why? again, asking with no malice of forethought.[/QUOTE]

I play blades, older blades at that, because I can and I play very well with them.

Aren't most forgings done at the same factories?

What specifically makes forgings supplied to the Japanese market better than the forgings provided to the US market.

Aren't most forgings done at the same factories?

What specifically makes forgings supplied to the Japanese market better than the forgings provided to the US market.
Tighter tolerances in some cases. That doesn't mean a us oem can't get the same forging and release it (some do).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I played Ping G5's all the way from shooting decently into the 100's just starting out, all the way down to low 80's and could easily still play them now. Never once did I feel they were holding me back or I didn't get the feedback I needed. And those clubs are really in the SGI category based on size and offset. Your XR Pro's will never hold you back from improving if that's your goal.

Tighter tolerances in some cases. That doesn't mean a us oem can't get the same forging and release it (some do).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Tolerances in what?

subjective, but to me forged feel better. they don't perform better for me, but they feel better and that's important to me.

I've hit Miura, epon, ikasu, and fourteen. didn't feel any different than any other forged head. one of the best feeling forged heads I've ever hit is the Adams cmb. that's my benchmark for sweetest feeling forged head.

Back