At what distance do you begin to pin hunt

150 and in....7i.

Why am I not surprised that your surprised by others answers :D you always seem to be surprised when people go against how you think things should play out.

You have to know your strengths and weakness. That is part of playing golf. If people pin hint from 230 and in, they know their limitations. You're comfy at your distance and other and comfy at theirs

Of course I agree and have stated such...that we all need to know our abilities and dispersion rate with given clubs in our hand. I don't feel it "should" be anything. No right or wrongs here imo. I wish I could pin hunt from 185 or 200 or whatever. I find it pretty awesome that folks like you and others can pull that off. Perhaps one day soon enough :) who knows?
But I was only pointing out that being a good scrambler plays its part in the decision too. And also that even if one is a good scrambler there are (when missing the green) not always going to be desirable nor fairly easy up/downs (even for the good scrambler) because you never really know what type of poor lie and scenario the ball may end up landing in. There is always some risk/reward when pin hunting even for you better players. Getting the ball (as you said) in with few strokes as possible is the goal. But any risk/reward choice can lead to that same goal from either side.

All about pin placement, but if I'm inside 110, I'll usually give it a go.

Whenever I have an iron in my hand I always aim for the flag, unless the risk is huge. It doesn't always work out so well, and likely not the smartest play, but that's what I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

If I have a clean shot at the pin (no trees, water, sand) and can reach it, I am going for it. Rarely do I end up with a highlight reel shot. I do feel pretty comfortable from about 95 - 145, so that would be my range where my odds are greatest at sticking one close.

I'm guessing 155. Like the OP said, it all depends on many factors, but 155 and in, I'm much more likely to go pin hunting.

~Rock

Depends on the round. Practice rounds I usually go at everything that isn't obviously a sucker pin. Tournament round where my team counts on my score I take it at the center, erring on the tier/side that the pin is on to give myself the flattest putt possible. If I have a club I can reach the green with then I'm confident I will be putting on the next shot.

Honestly at my handicap from about 60 yards out I have more success trying for the center of green, that gives more latitude for error. I don't always follow my own advice ...

I'm adopting a new approach this year: always (unless doing so would be foolish) aim for the center of the green. My instructor put me on to the idea. A local high school uses this method and has tons of state titles. In fact, their coach removes the flags during practice rounds so his team can't know where the hole is.

So to answer your question... Basically, never.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

When I can get to the green and can avoid trouble in doing so, never been afraid of bunkers or chipping as long as I will avoid a penalty with a miss I'm going at it.

It's all about pin placement and with start at 4h.

I'm adopting a new approach this year: always (unless doing so would be foolish) aim for the center of the green. My instructor put me on to the idea. A local high school uses this method and has tons of state titles. In fact, their coach removes the flags during practice rounds so his team can't know where the hole is.

While that might work in high school the coach really isn't doing any favors to the kids who are going to go and try out for college golf. I guess that isn't a high school coaches job but seems weird. That said probably doesn't matter much since colleges don't pay attention to high school golf, they look at AJGA tournaments mostly. I do understand the concept of why he is doing it but seems you run the risk of stunting their growth

Could certainly be good advice for a middle or high handicapper, especially with a course with small greens. With the large greens I normally see, aiming at the center of every green would result in a lot fewer birdies and my average score going up by at least a few strokes.

When I'm chipping(60yds and in)....I mean depending on the hole I might favor one side of the green vs another but I think I know my game well enough that I'm not really pin hunting ever. If I was that good of a ball striker to pin hunt on demand hole to hole I wouldn't be an 11.

I don't really pin hunt anymore from any more than 135 yards (GW), and even then only when the pin is in the center of the green.
Pin hunting leads to me being short-sided constantly and making a few birdies but a lot of bogies.

While that might work in high school the coach really isn't doing any favors to the kids who are going to go and try out for college golf. I guess that isn't a high school coaches job but seems weird. That said probably doesn't matter much since colleges don't pay attention to high school golf, they look at AJGA tournaments mostly. I do understand the concept of why he is doing it but seems you run the risk of stunting their growth

I see where you're coming from, but the evidence doesn't support your theory. This high school has produced 13 college players in the last 10 years, 5 team state titles, 5 individual state titles, and PGA Tour pro Brendon Todd.

Could certainly be good advice for a middle or high handicapper, especially with a course with small greens. With the large greens I normally see, aiming at the center of every green would result in a lot fewer birdies and my average score going up by at least a few strokes.

Agreed. I'm a 14 handicap. Pin seeking isn't an option. At this point hitting the green is the goal, so might as well aim for the middle.

I see what my miss is for the day, then I start taking risks. For example, if my miss is a fade, I'll play the pin if it is left of the center of the green... that way a miss is most likely center. If the pin is on the right side I'll aim center...

There is a lot to be said for GIR's and its relation to scoring lower. And imo pin hunting for most people will result in fewer of them especially when from further away then what they really have the ability for. Again, in the end it comes to ability and knowing it. But of course there is also just for fun too.

Usually if I have an iron in my hand, I'll try to play at the pin, but err on the safe side of the flag. My main concern is getting the ball on the right tier on the green so I can give myself the best chance at draining a putt. There really aren't too many flat greens around here, so distance control is key.

All of them? I often punish myself more than the course does

With the m2 in hand apparently 290!

I'd say generally with any iron. I suppose there are a few exceptions and that I'm aiming more for an area near the pin with something like a 4 or 5 iron than I am with a 9 iron or a wedge, but I'm still trying to get close as often as possible.

Back