THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Had a fantastic practice round yesterday. First full round with the odyssey plumbers neck. No 3 jacks, and I didn't leave myself and crazy come back putts. Greens were still pretty bumpy from spring aerating. Short game came to play. Thanks to JB and his talk of the knock down PW in the practice thread. I've added that to the tool box and used it a few times with good success. Another interesting note. I played with a driver yesterday. Went with 2deep, 5 deep and utility iron. The 2 Utility was the star of the round.

Good Stuff Captain. Interesting to read about the great results with the odyssey, what about the Toulon that's on the way. Guess it will truly have to earn a place in the bag.

Went out for nine this morning before settling in the office. Went cold with no warmups so first hole was a bit tough, but after that played pretty solid. The most pleasing thing was my 125 yard and in game, very solid, including two approaches from 116 and 110 that gave me legit birdie chances. 10 feet and 15 feet. Missed both putts but had a tap in par and drilled a 3 foot come-backer on the 15 footer that was downhill.

Driver was improved after my bad league outing last week. Still had some loose shots with the 5,6 and 7 irons, and two three putts that led to the 51. Granted one of the was from 65 feet, but still should have made a better effort on the first put. Wish I had played my second shot on that first hole differently, having not warmed up, I rinsed two balls that led to a quad.

So... Lesson complete yesterday. Made adjustments to posture, and need to work on weight transfer. I had too much knee flex at set up, putting too much weight on my heels resulting in lunging at the ball, resulting in chunks and the push fade. The posture change should help a lot quickly. The weight transfer is something I've been fighting a long time.

Problem is I can get to a decent 'feeling' finishing position without a good weight shift. He called a "false finish" my right foot lifts up to the toe, instead of rolling up from the inside to it. It produces zero forward motion, but to me 'feels' the same (especially since the backswing is the same). I understand the physics of it, but he couldn't give me any real swing thought that "triggered" what it was supposed to feel like. At the end he mentioned trying to turn my right pocket toward the target as much as possible. Guess I'll try that (hopefully tomorrow).

Spent the entire weekend freshening up the house prior to an eventual sale ... so had zero time for work on the golf course. That is going to change this week though. Hope to sneak out for a bit of work after work today, have early am nine's planned for Tues and Thurs, and my lesson is on Friday. Hope to get in some short game work on Wed if I can manage that as well. I think that's a decent amount of golf for this week.

Hit between 150-200 balls on Friday, could be closer to 250. Played 36 on sat with some gentlemen matches going on. Played another 18 on Sunday. Was reacquainted with how quick a swing/game can come and go but learned I can get past it and still execute the next shot.

this weekend was a great reminder of how great THP events are and how awesome THPers are. No events on the schedule for me until this one so while fighting the THP event hangover my prep continues with some added excitement for this event to get here.

yep, following along all weekend, definitely stoked the fires for July 9th!!

Spent the entire weekend freshening up the house prior to an eventual sale ... so had zero time for work on the golf course. That is going to change this week though. Hope to sneak out for a bit of work after work today, have early am nine's planned for Tues and Thurs, and my lesson is on Friday. Hope to get in some short game work on Wed if I can manage that as well. I think that's a decent amount of golf for this week.
And just like that, my plans are already blown up. That didn't take long! Window install on Thursday at 8:30 am which means early morning am round is out the window. Perusing, with my dad, the homes we're looking to buy pushed to Friday which may cause me to reschedule my lesson (to hopefully Thursday evening if possible). Can I have a week where I'm NOT scrambling, except when it involves a golf ball, a wedge, and a green?

Hit between 150-200 balls on Friday, could be closer to 250. Played 36 on sat with some gentlemen matches going on. Played another 18 on Sunday. Was reacquainted with how quick a swing/game can come and go but learned I can get past it and still execute the next shot.

this weekend was a great reminder of how great THP events are and how awesome THPers are. No events on the schedule for me until this one so while fighting the THP event hangover my prep continues with some added excitement for this event to get here.

Sounds like a great time was had by all. It was fun to follow along.

Bummed that you are going to miss Saturday but we will tee it up this year!

I couldn't imagine hitting so many shots at this stage of my life. I would have been worn out!!!!!!! Hope your feeling OK. Great event and follow along. Lot of good info. Thanks for the updates.

THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Played 36 yesterday and 18 today. I was pretty disappointed with my effort in the 2nd round yesterday. I don't know why things went bad but they did. Today's round went much better and I'm happy with the bounce back.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great time was had by all. It was fun to follow along.

Bummed that you are going to miss Saturday but we will tee it up this year!

bummed I can't be they're either no and there is no doubt we are teeing it up this year. It was a blast to be there this weekend.

I couldn't imagine hitting so many shots at this stage of my life. I would have been worn out!!!!!!! Hope your feeling OK. Great event and follow along. Lot of good info. Thanks for the updates.

Don't want to derail the thread and tons of details in the event thread, but if was fun and exhausting. It was nice to know that I can hold up,to 36 holes of fold in a day even after travel and a long range session.

Tripled the last hole and took 3rd gross. Had the lead for 16 holes. I feel my games ready though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played my local nine-hole track twice this morning/afternoon after having not touched a club since April 2nd.

It was evident that I should have gone to the range rather than the course. A total of 9 penalties and 7 lost balls (luckily all but 2 were shag bag balls) helped to bring my score to a total of 104 (52 each time around). I had a few moments where I thought maybe I was playing well... but I was quickly brought back to reality.

I did manage to birdie the 6th hole on the second trip around after nearly making birdie the first time... so, I'll take that.

I'll be spending a good deal of time this week working on my game as I've got a 2 day tournament coming up Saturday and Sunday. It's possible I'll get back out to the course tomorrow morning... but I may opt to just use the short game area instead.

Now that we're midway through April... I'm both excited and getting anxious for July 9th! I just want to be able to leave there knowing I did my part by playing my best that day.

Had a really good range session today. Hit a few stinkers on the range, but I was able to get the 7i back into good graces. It was only traveling around 140 (about 5 yards less that usual) but it was straight, and that's all that matters right now. Turned it around then and started working on 40-50 yard chips over sand onto a small green. Had good results, and the ones that went in the sand, I was able to get them within 6 feet of the hole on the first attempt out. Tomorrow morning round, and maybe even practice in the evening if I can swing it. Looking forward to my lesson this week. If he can gain me a few yards on my clubs, I'd be stoked ... but I'm mainly hoping he gets me on the path to a more consistent swing and ball flight.

Got out on Stonehouse today. Played with 2 junior staff members from RNK and 1 from stonehouse. Great ball striking day, scored really well,( posted in what did you shoot thread). I am ready for these matches.

Played in my work league tonight with another guy (2 others weren't able to play). This meant that I essentially got a mulligan on every shot, which many times I didn't need. We shot 29, and it could have easily been 27 or 28. I birdied the first 3 holes on my own first ball. It was one heck of a night - including catching a downhill chute on a par 5 to leave us 83 yards in for a second shot (ended up with birdie ).

Played in my work league tonight with another guy (2 others weren't able to play). This meant that I essentially got a mulligan on every shot, which many times I didn't need. We shot 29, and it could have easily been 27 or 28. I birdied the first 3 holes on my own first ball. It was one heck of a night - including catching a downhill chute on a par 5 to leave us 83 yards in for a second shot (ended up with birdie ).
Damn! That's some shooting!

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

How does everyone feel about their game? What is the strongest part of your game? Where do you need to make the most improvements?

Nothing stands out as super strong for me right now. One round I get off the tee well, the other I struggle. The same goes for my short game. The good news is that nothing feels really weak. I struggled this weekend from 150--felt like I was coming in steep and hitting fat shot after fat shot. Need to work on getting a controlled swing with the wedges that I can trust.

How does everyone feel about their game? What is the strongest part of your game? Where do you need to make the most improvements?

Nothing stands out as super strong for me right now. One round I get off the tee well, the other I struggle. The same goes for my short game. The good news is that nothing feels really weak. I struggled this weekend from 150--felt like I was coming in steep and hitting fat shot after fat shot. Need to work on getting a controlled swing with the wedges that I can trust.

My irons have been the most consistent in my game. Weakness is with driver and it's a mental plus swing issue combo.

At this point in the season. Feel like it's all working just on separate schedules.....but I feel like I'm getting better and better as time goes on. Spending a bunch of time with concentrated practice efforts. But it's golf....so anything is liable to disappear without notice.

I'm currently happy with my game, a lot! However, that can change overnight. 2 weeks ago I was frustrated and ready for a lesson. I have not taken a lesson in 25 years and have always been able to self diagnose my game but I was in such bad shape I started talking to local instructors. Then I went out and played and something just clicked, I started making better contact and confidence grew. I have also discovered that I hit the ball way better on the course than I do on the range. That seems to go against the norm for most players. Does anyone else experience that?

My tee game is better than it's been in years. I know this event has a lot to do with that. I am focusing and practicing more than I have in many years. I need to really start practicing what I need work on most and that is putting. I am too streaky. Last night I had a great front and struggled on the back with the flat stick. Maybe it's just lofty expectations, thinking I should be able to make everything all of the time. It's a WIP. I am going to focus on putting and see where it goes.

This par 5 hole illustrated very clearly why my inconsistent swing is killing me. This shot was dead middle of fairway, about 210 left to the pin. Pulled 7i and hit a nice, straight, and high ball to leave me 70 yards from the green. Next shot, a partial swing GW chunked and left me 30 yards to go. Dropped another ball on the spot, and forced myself to complete the swing. Dead straight, left me 5 feet from the pin and made the putt that would have been for a birdie had I not screwed the pooch. Returned to my actual cruddy third shot, chipped onto the green and two putted for bogey. So that awful third swing cost me two shots. I hope I learn these lessons to heart (COMMIT TO THE F'N SWING!) before RR otherwise it's going to be a long day.

I feel pretty good about my putting and iron game. I struggled early on this year with both and spent a lot of time and got them right. That said my tee game has disappeared so it is killing me. Need to find that and I will be happy

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back