Need some help/advice on getting back into the game.

BiXLL

Reaction score
I am 58 years old in good physical condition. I started playing golf at about 10 years old, and won a state junior tournament at 12 shooting a final 89. I played weekends until about 20 years ago and do to life, gave the game up completely. When I stopped playing I was shooting low 80s touching high 70s on occasion. Recently my stepson has started playing and he and I have really had some good bonding times when I started going with him. I played about 8 or 9 rounds at the end of this season with him and want to get back into the game. I am playing with a set of ping knockoffs irons that I bought used over 20 years ago. When I realized I am hitting a 4 iron on the same par 3 that he was hitting a 7, I came to the realization that it was probably time to update my clubs. This year I have been coming in with scores of low 90s and high 80s. Short game is what has been killing me, and I can not blame that on the clubs, and with more play I am sure that will come around.

The help I am looking for is to know what iron set a golfer like myself, a weekend warrior who is competitive by nature, but is more interested in having a good time then trying to become a pro golfer.

To try to give a little more info, I had started using a Taylor Made Burner Driver that was bought for me when someone had borrowed my driver to go to the range and brought it back headless. I found that all of a sudden with that club I had a terrible slice off the T that I never had before. I happened to try a used Taylor Made SLDR driver someone had extra in their bag and they lost the club to me. I absolutely crush that thing with only an occasional fade.

In my limited research, I am thinking a good fit for me and my game would be Taylor Made Speedblade or SLDR irons. I just am completly uniformed on what are the quality, best bang for the buck clubs that are now available. Hell I remember when I had a set of Top flight woods years ago and they were state of the art, I don't think they are even made anymore??? Calloway, taylor Made, cleveland were not even heard of brand names back then.

So, are there any ideas or suggestions you guys can offer me? Understand I am not interested in paying $300.00 to have a pro swing Annaliese, I am more interested in finding out all the info I can and make the best educated choice I can and learn to use the clubs I buy.

Taylormade would be a good brand for you to try since their prices tend to taper off rather quickly. SpeedBlades or SLDR or RBZ can be good starts. You can also try callaway pre-owned.

Taylormade would be a good brand for you to try since their prices tend to taper off rather quickly. SpeedBlades or SLDR or RBZ can be good starts. You can also try callaway pre-owned.
Thanks for the reply. After more research since making this post, I am now wondering if the SpeedBlades or SLDR choices might be of older tech then what I want? Inderstand, with the amount I anticipate playing, and the fact that I most likely will not buy clubs again very soon, I am tryingt to figure out a good balance of up to date tech, without being worried about putting on a show with the newest, bestest, most badassed.

I am getting myself very confused. From what I am reading, the best game improvement clubs seem to be Taylormade RSi 1 (or newer 2), Calloway XR and Apex, Titelist AP, Mizuno JPX 850. Am I on the right track? Am I looking at clubs above my level of need?

after more research, I am wondering if the SpeedBlades or SLDR might be of too old of tech for what I am trying to do? Understand I am trying to find a balance of up to date tech in a game improvement iron without worrying about having a wow factor of being the latest greatest thing out there. I most likely will not buy new clubs again for quite some time, but with only going out on weekends I most likely will also want to buy used.

I am wondering if instead of the origanal idea of looking into SpeedBlades or SLD, I should consider what I am reading are the higher rated game improvement irons such as
Taylormade RSi 1 (or 2)
Calloway XR or Apex
Titelist AP
Mizuno JPX 850

First of all, welcome to THP!

There are plenty of good iron sets you can pick up that match what you're looking for. The Speedblade sets you mentioned would be a good set to look into, and there are plenty of iron sets that would fit into the Super Game Improvement category that would help you hit well on the weekends. Wilson/Staff D200 (and the upcoming C200) sets would work well, Ping G25 or G30, Rockbottom is blowing out great Adams sets at $189 right now that would fit that category, Cleveland Altitudes, Callaway X2Hot or XR (non Pro) all fit that bill.

Surf around the gear reviews here on the forum, hit some sticks at a local store if you can, but honestly there are lots of high quality sets of irons out there that would work for you.

First of all, welcome to THP and congrats on getting back into the game!

Here's the basic story with clubs these days: Every manufacturer makes really good equipment. You need to find the set that works best with your swing. The old categories of Super Game Improvement, Game Improvement and Players Club aren't the same - manufacturers have done a great job of blending or mixing and matching design characteristics to create crossover type clubs. Also, graphite technology has come a long way - really good option these days for guys that have older joints or injuries.

Because of that there are probably a million options for you, depending on what characteristics really strike a cord and what your budget is. Also, every club you might consider has a robust review thread on this forum - search for it by name using the tool in the upper right corner of the screen.

Given that you mentioned distance, here are some to consider: TaylorMade SpeedBlades, Callaway XR, Callaway Big Bertha (more traditional SGI clubs), Ping Karstens (more traditional SGI) and Wilson D200. Cleveland Altitudes are hard on the eyes but are fantastic, plus they can be found at very reasonable prices.

FYI - the SLDR and JetSpeed lines of drivers are among the least forgiving out there. Super option if you hit the middle of the club but not great if you don't.

Last edited:
Had a really good experience today at a place called Golf galaxy. Had a really good salesrep or maybe you would call him a consultant. He listened to my background and my wanting to get back in the game. He walked me through most of the major brands of clubs and highlighted features of each. He was most concerned with me liking the feel of the club I decide on. He had me hit what he called a club I would have good feel of the head in the Calloway X2 Hot irons. He had me try those as they are last years model and very little change to the current XR model but a little more then a$150.00 cheaper. Then he also had me hit a much lighter Taylormade RSi 1. He took me in the simulater and just had me hit 6 balls without saying anything. First thing he says when I am done am I am hitting everything off the inside of the club face. He then put indicator tape on the face of the club and had me hit. Dam if it didn't strike the indside of the face even with me thinking about centering it up.He kept having me move back and it took about 4 balls of moving away and then it happened! I started hitting and because of the old school clubs I had been using I have never felt anything like. I started centering up my hits and was hitting the 7 iron 168 to 171. With my clubs I had to hit a 4 real good to get 168 yards!!!!

I hit the Calloway first and was in love with the feel of the heavy club face going through the ball. I also hit the Taylormades very well and got pretty much identical numbers, but the feel of the Calloways is what does it for me. LOL, I am getting excited about the game again!!! Don't even care if I get out again before getting new sticks!

FYI - the SLDR and JetSpeed lines of drivers are among the least forgiving out there. Super option if you hit the middle of the club but not great if you don't.
What would you recommend so far as a good forgiving driver? My stepson is hitting a Nike, and when he gets it, he absolutely hits bombs, but most of the time he is either playing right side of fairway or next fairway over!!! LOL

What would you recommend so far as a good forgiving driver? My stepson is hitting a Nike, and when he gets it, he absolutely hits bombs, but most of the time he is either playing right side of fairway or next fairway over!!! LOL
Go back to Golf Galaxy and talk to the sales rep that helped you with the irons and have him help you with the driver. Driver, wedges and putter are the FEEL clubs, so you want to find a driver you like the feel of, as well as one that performs for you, and there's plenty of today's drivers to try. Ping G30, Titleist 913 D3, Titleist 915 D3, Callaway has a few. Take your time and test them, and look at a 44" long driver or 44.5". Most are 45" & 45.5" long, but again it's up to you to find what's right for you.

My recollection is the Great Big Bertha (2016) and G30 were rated among the more forgiving by reviewers here.

and then it happened! I started hitting and because of the old school clubs I had been using I have never felt anything like. I started centering up my hits and was hitting the 7 iron 168 to 171. With my clubs I had to hit a 4 real good to get 168 yards!!!!

I am getting excited about the game again!!! Don't even care if I get out again before getting new sticks!
That's awesome, congrats! You are going to see huge technology differences/gains from virtually any current clubs vs. what you were playing. There's so much technology to help us now.

G25 Driver & FW woods
Bridgestone J40's DPC
Nike Vr wedges
Center Shaft Putter

Get these cheap on e-bay. Get your swing back in a PVC swing ring, you can buy a used one for $299, or perhaps there is one at a range close by...

I too had a long layoff from the game. When I returned everything had changed. I too noticed my old Wilsons just couldn't measure up. I have spent thousands upon thousands in the last 3 years trying to buy a game..............it doesn't work like that, lol. You need to look at several things before you start buying clubs. Does offset work for you, or fit your eye? I have slowly learned offset is not my friend. What shaft weight works best for you? Should you go for game improvement, super game improvement, or player equipment? Most game improvement and super game improvement irons will have longer overall lengths compared to what you were used to. And don't get excited about modern club lofts, it's just a number. What ball fits you? There are so many things you need to consider before buying it will make your head spin. Your best bet in my opinion would be to find a qualified clubfitter and go from there. Don't rule out component companies like Wishon or Maltby. Good luck and welcome back to the game!

Welcome to THP!

Don't overlook the Cobra Fly-Z series. I love my irons and hybrids.

IMHO, I think my biggest obsticle at this point is over thinking things. I have found a club that feels really good to me, has shown me tremendous results in the simulator, and is very reasonable so far as price. as a weekend warrior, I dont think I can ask for much more!

Back