Is technology killing the game?

I don’t think it’s killing the game. I think it is making the game more enjoyable for most amatures and weekend warriors. The tech can minimize swing faults and helps keep the ball in play and makes it much easier to elevate the ball. I think more people are having more fun.

I’m wondering if the numbers are really on the decline in golf. My post was geared toward those that are leaving the game. I agree tech makes golf more funner :D

It isn't killing the game. Does it help, yes. Irons are more forgiving and to a point drivers are too. The key though is you still have to properly swing the clubs and execute the proper shots.

I don’t think it’s killing the game, but I’m not sure it’s making a big scoring difference for most either.

Maybe it has more to do with the average golfer not knowing what works best for them or even what is available.

I think tech has helped the average golfer and made it more enjoyable, but ruining the game? No. You still have to be able to square the face and sink a putt.

Not killing the game but when I lost my GPS and forgot my laser I had a ton of fun. Actually thinking about leaving those things at home from now on and just using sprinkler heads to guesstimate the distance. Sometimes knowing you are 188.3 gets in your head.

Maybe it's because I've never been a real good player, that I'm a fan of club tech now. Keep it coming IMO. Tech advances can make the game more enjoyable, even more so for new players who may become life long golfers if they don't get beat up too bad while learning. About the only downfall I've run into with GI irons is that I'm not quite as good at deliberately curving or flighting recovery shots with them.

I’m wondering if the numbers are really on the decline in golf. My post was geared toward those that are leaving the game. I agree tech makes golf more funner :D

I don't think the tech would be any reason golf declines as for it making the game easier resulting in some false ability. Perhaps indirectly the cost of clubs can be an issue and that can be tech related. R&D teams and what they do comes with a large expense for club makers and of course indirectly the game is affected as for customers purchasing equipment. But never imo would tech be a problem as for its result in more playability for more people. And so does the cost of sponsoring pros but that we pay for but that's another topic I suppose..lol

But I still say if we look back before the great influx that more people are participating in golf now vs then. Imo is not a fair analysis to compare golf popularity now to a time of an abnormal greatest influx the game has maybe ever seen. Golf isn't dying imo but only that great influx has decayed.

But as for the tech and a false sense of ability? Sort of as I mentioned before one could argue that most any the equipment used today could be classified in that same category. There was actually a time a sand wedge didn't exist and so in that sense one could say anyone getting out of bunkers with great success nowadays is only a false sense of ability vs those who played without them. How many tour pros use cavity back irons since they been around? Are they still using wooden drivers? I think we can apply that to every club that anyone today games vs decades ago not even to mention very many years ago. The game offers what equipment it offers to us and which is available for us to play. Throughout its history this has always changed with the tech available at the time. So we are all (even tour pros) in some way playing with a false sense of ability.

Is technology killing the game?

No, if anything, I think technology is helping it, as it can help the game be potentially more enjoyable for people who older clubs were more difficult to play. Most people who play are just playing for fun, and anything to make the game easier is better. You still have to put decent swings on the ball to make it do what you actually want, and the game is still plenty hard.

Lots of good responses in here. I look at it like this. Is technology hurting automobile driving skills? Cars have adaptive cruise, auto pilot, power steering, and a billion other things lots of people never had learning to drive. Does that mean people shouldn’t be allowed to drive a car until they can learn drive a car with no power steering and a 3 speed transmission?

Like advances in car tech, golf technology advances are a good.

This isn’t me condemning technology, I am a huge fan. This is me wondering if technology that aids in greater distance, more control, higher launch, more forgiveness and a few other game changers, is masking bigger issues. And by masking the issues, tech is giving golfers a false sense of ability.

These golfer start to improve and think they need ‘players’ clubs only to find out they can’t hit them as well as the high tech clubs. They toil between multiple sets looking for the magic bean and sooner or later just quit the game.

What are you thoughts?

Tech reveals what is going on in the economy as a whole...The tech in clubs has become easier to implement into the clubs, and with the advent of better data, and better understanding of what is happening with the ball and the club (trackman and other data sets) we are learning how to better teach/tweak...As well manufacturing has clearly gotten better at delivering what customers need/want (lots of iron sets focused on different aspects of game/Adjustable drivers)...

We also cannot ignore that the average golfer winning on tour, is training more specifically, and the technology to make them a better physical specimen is better..

We now know and focus on things like core strength, and what it does...

The likes of DJ, Koepka, Mullinax, Bubba, Finau, clearly have an edge over those who are not working out, and who have not won the physical lottery to be 6'4"The impact of Titleist Performance Institute, Motion trackers etc. My opinion these advancements (non equipment related) are just as if not bigger than the equipment...

Haven't handicaps stayed the same?

Technology may be helping tee to green. But there is no new wedge that will magically give a person a short game or a new putter insert that reads the line and pace for the golfer.

you clearly haven't purchased the Square Strike, or latest gadget wedge that promises Seve like touch from anywhere... :)

pretty sure the bluetooth speaker that was at about 120 decibels with the 5 millennials was a key part of tech keeping them on the course yesterday... :)

Masking error, definitely. Killing the game, I don't think so at all.

Those who seek to be better golfers will still find ways to learn or engage in lessons (internet or in person). Allowing the more casual player to have some semblance of greater success is a good thing.

Lots of good responses in here. I look at it like this. Is technology hurting automobile driving skills? Cars have adaptive cruise, auto pilot, power steering, and a billion other things lots of people never had learning to drive. Does that mean people shouldn’t be allowed to drive a car until they can learn drive a car with no power steering and a 3 speed transmission?

I was going to mention similar and suggest pro car racing as an example. These racers of today are certainly driving cars that handle and ride much better than what they drove decades back. In hat sense one can argue they are of a false ability vs those old racers.

For us? the average (relatively speaking cheap) economy car out of the showroom can not only beat many the old muscle cars off the line, but can also be driven faster top end speeds and do it far more safely and soundly. Years ago even many so called faster cars took a lot of skill to drive at 90 mph if they even went that fast. They shook and vibrated, didn't handle even close to as well, didn't have the braking, the wind resistance, etc,etc... . Nowadays basically grandma can drive a Hyundai elantra at 90 on the highway and do it soundly safely without losing control and the ride would be smooth as a baby's butt. Again,.... is it false sense of ability? Or is it simply just using what it is that's available at the time? There will still be better and worse ability drivers. Its the same with golf. Its not about the older tech imo that judges ability but is only about the tech available at the time because that's what the game of golf (or any field we may discuss) has available for us.

Killing the game is a bit harsh. I think the tech in the new equipment is actually helping more golfers enjoy the game. If we were all playing blades many would not find the game as enjoyable. As far as tech like GPS and such that has to be a help as well.

But there is no new wedge that will magically give a person a short game or a new putter insert that reads the line and pace for the golfer.
rodney-big.jpg

I don't think it is, but the idea gains steam watching the outliers that can take full advantage of it (Rory, DJ, Brooks, etc). Like others have mentioned, the tech makes the game more enjoyable for those who aren't able to spent a lot of time practicing. I feel like boundaries are always going to be pushed when it comes to equipment and I don't see anything wrong with that. At the pro level if players start breaking 60 on a regular basis then there may be a problem, but with the way a lot of courses are setup I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I think it is a crutch to a certain point. I, however, dont think that any club is a replacement for putting the time in at the range and on the practice green. Id also go so far as to point out that even as much as golf club technology has supposedly advanced over the years, we arent really seeing the score of average golfers going down from what it was 30 or 40 years ago. Modern equipment does give you the advantage of hitting the ball farther and being more forgiving of mis-hits but I believe its also sacrificed feel, accuracy and precision.
For me, the difference from my modern set that I have now and the 50 year old set of Hogans that my neibor left me is that with the Hogans, with the persimmon woods and blade iron heads; there are 5-10 shots per round where I miss the sweet spot and get a horrible shot. With the modern set, I can miss a little bit and still get a pretty decent shot out of them.

I don't think it is, but the idea gains steam watching the outliers that can take full advantage of it (Rory, DJ, Brooks, etc). Like others have mentioned, the tech makes the game more enjoyable for those who aren't able to spent a lot of time practicing. I feel like boundaries are always going to be pushed when it comes to equipment and I don't see anything wrong with that. At the pro level if players start breaking 60 on a regular basis then there may be a problem, but with the way a lot of courses are setup I don't see that happening anytime soon.

And for every tech improvement we are still reminded that the "scar tissue between the ears" governs the game...

couple of the great ones quotes-

Arnold Palmer

"The whole secret to mastering the game of golf -- and this applies to the beginner as well as the pro -- is to cultivate a mental approach to the game that will enable you to shrug off the bad days, keep patient and know in your heart that sooner or later you will be back on top."

And for every tech improvement we are still reminded that the "scar tissue between the ears" governs the game...

couple of the great ones quotes-

And one still needs ability. I get you cant be on top of your game with the wrong mindset, but having the right one doesnt mean you will either. You still need ability.

Its not killing the game, but is making it more enjoyable for more golfers. However, as mentioned in this thread, more and more mediocre golfers now consider themselves "good" golfers.

Its like when they put the gutter thingees in bowling alleys so that kids can enjoy themselves and not throw all gutter balls. I'm sure none of these kids walk away thinking they are now good bowlers. Maybe not a great comparison, but the best I could think of on such short notice.

People aren't quiting the driving game because they get frustrated when they up grade from a ford to an audi. People leave the game of golf when they fail to progress. THe progression seems to stop when they leave the tech of lets say an M3 iron for an AP2.

People aren't quiting the driving game because they get frustrated when they up grade from a ford to an audi. People leave the game of golf when they fail to progress. THe progression seems to stop when they leave the tech of lets say an M3 iron for an AP2.

I’m sure there’s some truth to that, but it strikes me as strange that someone would walk away from the game because they can’t play a set of irons as well as another set, that seems like an opportunity for education. I would think that most people that are ready to move from GI to pro irons would be skilled enough and have enough knowledge about equipment and their swing to know that there going to be a change in the help they’re getting from the club.

asking honestly: is that really happening? it seems pretty extreme to go from having fun, to changing sets and regressing, then quitting all together. i would have thought people would go back to what worked instead of walking away.

And one still needs ability. I get you cant be on top of your game with the wrong mindset, but having the right one doesnt mean you will either. You still need ability.

pretty sure that was implied...but for sake of clarity...yes, one needs ability to compete...

Back