Phil Mickelson Playing Callaway Apex Pros

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Quite the departure from his usual bag as this was posted in the Apex Pros review thread (photo courtesy of Dnevs).

9c1c9f61debfc930831d909b17b661fe.jpg

38ac6a40b37a9646e87071474350ce7a.jpg

I know he's had the MB of some sort in his bag most of the time, but did he ever put the previous generation Apex Pros in the bag?

What is he thinking, blades are better. He won't have any feel or shot making ability. I kid of course, speaks volumes about the irons.

• Admin
I know he's had the MB of some sort in his bag most of the time, but did he ever put the previous generation Apex Pros in the bag?

I know he tested them out, but looking through my tour reports, I dont see them in his bag. I very well could be mistaken however.

Says a lot for these then - it will be interesting to see if these stick for him.

These look so good in the bag. Love the access Callaway gives us regular folk. The Snapchat stories yesterday were great.

Cool to see but does this lend to the fact hell pretty much try anything at this point to get on form again?

First coaches now irons?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I wonder why he has the GBB headcover for his DBD. Marketing reasons?

I think this speaks volumes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apex are solid irons, and with the different clubs we've seen him game over the years, not surprised at this.

Liked seeing the PM Grind wedge in there,

I wonder why he has the GBB headcover for his DBD. Marketing reasons?
Typically, that is why it's done. TM & Nike come to mind as doing that a good bit.

Phil likes to try everything, I hope they work out for him. They are great looking irons.

Pretty cool to see a tour pro bagging irons that the rest of the mortal world plays. Why not add forgiveness?

He has been pretty negative on his iron play over the past 2 seasons, perhaps this is part of his solution to that problem. Regardless, bag looks great, out of my league but looks great.

Pretty cool to see a tour pro bagging irons that the rest of the mortal world plays. Why not add forgiveness?
To be fair these are deeeeeeeeefinitely still players irons. But yeah, certainly going to be more forgiveness than the MBs.

I'll wait to see if he actually puts these in play at a PGA Tour event as opposed to having them in his bag at a photo shoot before getting excited about it. That probably won't happen until Torrey Pines at the end of January.

This is interesting to say the least. I hope they work well for Phil. They're beautiful sticks.

Game recognizes game

I'm glad to see him still gaming the PM wedges. I honestly thought that would end up being something they made 'just for him' but he'd never use for any length of time. I hope the irons help him find more birdie putts!

I think it speaks volume to these iron, for sure. With that said, I can't help but think that, as Phil is getting older and closer to 50, he wants a bit more forgiveness in his irons. I'm not saying his swing is not what it use to be, but life has a way of sneaking up on you, right? Just look at the number of Major Champions 45 and older.

Cause I'm ignorant....what will Cup Face technology do to the for the Apex Pro? Won't it make them Apex CF16 in a shiny chrome version?

I know he tested them out, but looking through my tour reports, I dont see them in his bag. I very well could be mistaken however.

If I recall correctly, he played the old Pros for a couple tournaments and had the regular Apex 4 iron. Maybe for a tournament out at Torrey Pines? For some reason that rings a bell.

I can't wait to hit these.. Both the standard and the pro. They are intriguing me like crazy.
You won't be disappointed fell in love with mine after about 30 mins on the range. The feel they possess combined with the forgiveness is amazing. Feedback on miss hits is definitely there but without as much penalty.

as for phill bag will be interesting to see what shows up on tour bust at the shoot in San Diego today Phil had this in his bag. http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/2015/12...e=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=TWCMP

Back